WARNING! No Dip Stick

Old December 17th 04, 01:39 AM
James

Default WARNING! No Dip Stick

I change my engine oil (Mobil 1) every 3,000 miles. I change the
transmission fluid and filter every other engine oil change, every 6,000
miles. Since I am already under the car doing an engine oil change it not
that much more work to drop the transmission oil pan. My son-in-law asked
me if I would do the oil changes on his 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier if he bought
the oil and filters. I told him I would. I switched his Cavalier over from
the factory fill to Mobil 1, 5W-30 as soon as he got the car home. At his
second oil change (6,000) I dropped the transmission pan and changed the
filter. When I went to put the ATF back in the transmission I could not
find the dip stick. Up until now I had never seen an automatic transmission
that did not refill through the dip stick tube. So I got out the owners
manual out of the glove compartment and sure enough the owners manual says
there is no transmission dip stick. The owners manual says not to change
the fluid until 100,000 miles and there is no need to check the fluid level
before then. I swear to God I am not lying. The manual actually says there
is "no need to check the fluid level". I sat there and read that over and
over. I could not believe that GM actually put in writing that you never
need to check the fluid level in your transmission. The manual does not
even tell you how much fluid to put back when you do change it. So I
carefully measured how much I took out (7 ½ quarts) and put that much back
through a threaded plug in top of the transmission case.

This week I was looking at new 2005 Ford Explorers for my company. While I
had the hood up on one Explorer the salesman proudly pointed out that there
was no transmission dip stick and that you go 100,000 miles before a fluid
change. I know there are at least 2 vehicles that do not have transmission
dip sticks (2004 Chev Cavalier and 2005 Ford Explorer).

So as a word of caution, if you are like me and do not believe in 100,000
mile fluid changes, check and see if there is a dip stick. If there is no
dip stick you will have to accurately measure what you took out to know how
much to refill. I do not like not having a dip stick. If you had a small
leak you might not notice it and could be low on fluid. Without a dip stick
you would have no way of knowing how much you were low.

Old December 17th 04, 02:08 AM
Bill

In article >, "James"
> wrote:

> If there is no
>dip stick you will have to accurately measure what you took out to know how
>much to refill.

Are maybe fill it to the hole?
Differentials don't have dipsticks either!
Old December 21st 04, 08:13 PM
Steve

James wrote:

> This week I was looking at new 2005 Ford Explorers for my company. While I
> had the hood up on one Explorer the salesman proudly pointed out that there
> was no transmission dip stick and that you go 100,000 miles before a fluid
> change. I know there are at least 2 vehicles that do not have transmission
> dip sticks (2004 Chev Cavalier and 2005 Ford Explorer).

Lexus (Toyota) has been playing that stupid game for a number of years
now. I'm not surprised that GM has lost its collective sanity also, but
I'm sorely disappointed in Ford. Especially in a vehicle like an
Explorer- I could halfway understand it in a dispose-a-car like the
Cavalier or a Focus.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:08 AM
Dave Stone

"Steve" > wrote in message
> James wrote:
>

> > This week I was looking at new 2005 Ford Explorers for my company.

While I
> > had the hood up on one Explorer the salesman proudly pointed out that

there
> > was no transmission dip stick and that you go 100,000 miles before a

fluid
> > change. I know there are at least 2 vehicles that do not have

transmission
> > dip sticks (2004 Chev Cavalier and 2005 Ford Explorer).
> >

> Lexus (Toyota) has been playing that stupid game for a number of years
> now. I'm not surprised that GM has lost its collective sanity also, but
> I'm sorely disappointed in Ford. Especially in a vehicle like an
> Explorer- I could halfway understand it in a dispose-a-car like the
> Cavalier or a Focus.

do you know what year they started doing this on the Lexus models? I'll be
looking at a 98-00 GS400 in a few months, just curious if that has it.

Old December 22nd 04, 07:25 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Steve" > wrote in message
> James wrote:
>

> > This week I was looking at new 2005 Ford Explorers for my company.

While I
> > had the hood up on one Explorer the salesman proudly pointed out that

there
> > was no transmission dip stick and that you go 100,000 miles before a

fluid
> > change. I know there are at least 2 vehicles that do not have

transmission
> > dip sticks (2004 Chev Cavalier and 2005 Ford Explorer).
> >

> Lexus (Toyota) has been playing that stupid game for a number of years
> now. I'm not surprised that GM has lost its collective sanity also, but
> I'm sorely disappointed in Ford. Especially in a vehicle like an
> Explorer- I could halfway understand it in a dispose-a-car like the
> Cavalier or a Focus.

I wonder - how difficult would it be at the first fluid change to remove the
transmission
pan and weld in a fitting for a flexible transmission dipstick? These are
popular with
people who add headers, seems to me that just because the manufacturer
thinks a
dipstick isn't necessary doesen't mean you have to accept that.

Ted

Old December 22nd 04, 08:13 PM
Steve

Dave Stone wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
>>James wrote:
>>

>>>This week I was looking at new 2005 Ford Explorers for my company.

> While I
>
>>>had the hood up on one Explorer the salesman proudly pointed out that

> there
>
>>>was no transmission dip stick and that you go 100,000 miles before a

> fluid
>
>>>change. I know there are at least 2 vehicles that do not have

> transmission
>
>>>dip sticks (2004 Chev Cavalier and 2005 Ford Explorer).
>>>

>>Lexus (Toyota) has been playing that stupid game for a number of years
>>now. I'm not surprised that GM has lost its collective sanity also, but
>>I'm sorely disappointed in Ford. Especially in a vehicle like an
>>Explorer- I could halfway understand it in a dispose-a-car like the
>>Cavalier or a Focus.

> do you know what year they started doing this on the Lexus models? I'll be
> looking at a 98-00 GS400 in a few months, just curious if that has it.

Nope, I don't own anything toyota and never will. I think it was within
the past 5 years, but I can't say for sure.

Old December 23rd 04, 03:39 AM
Blue

95 Toyota Corolla has no transmission dipstick either.

Old December 23rd 04, 06:41 PM
Blue

Sorry, I meant 2005 Toyota corolla has no auto trans dipstick..

"

Old December 24th 04, 08:08 AM
Edward Strauss

James > wrote:
> I change my engine oil (Mobil 1) every 3,000 miles. I change the
> transmission fluid and filter every other engine oil change, every 6,000
> miles. Since I am already under the car doing an engine oil change it not
> that much more work to drop the transmission oil pan. My son-in-law asked
> me if I would do the oil changes on his 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier if he bought
> the oil and filters. I told him I would. I switched his Cavalier over from
> the factory fill to Mobil 1, 5W-30 as soon as he got the car home. At his
> second oil change (6,000) I dropped the transmission pan and changed the
> filter. When I went to put the ATF back in the transmission I could not
> find the dip stick. Up until now I had never seen an automatic transmission
> that did not refill through the dip stick tube. So I got out the owners
> manual out of the glove compartment and sure enough the owners manual says
> there is no transmission dip stick. The owners manual says not to change
> the fluid until 100,000 miles and there is no need to check the fluid level
> before then. I swear to God I am not lying. The manual actually says there
> is "no need to check the fluid level". I sat there and read that over and
> over. I could not believe that GM actually put in writing that you never
> need to check the fluid level in your transmission. The manual does not
> even tell you how much fluid to put back when you do change it. So I
> carefully measured how much I took out (7 ½ quarts) and put that much back
> through a threaded plug in top of the transmission case.

> This week I was looking at new 2005 Ford Explorers for my company. While I
> had the hood up on one Explorer the salesman proudly pointed out that there
> was no transmission dip stick and that you go 100,000 miles before a fluid
> change. I know there are at least 2 vehicles that do not have transmission
> dip sticks (2004 Chev Cavalier and 2005 Ford Explorer).

> So as a word of caution, if you are like me and do not believe in 100,000
> mile fluid changes, check and see if there is a dip stick. If there is no
> dip stick you will have to accurately measure what you took out to know how
> much to refill. I do not like not having a dip stick. If you had a small
> leak you might not notice it and could be low on fluid. Without a dip stick
> you would have no way of knowing how much you were low.

But, there is a way to check if the fluid is full. On the right hand side
of the transmission by the inboard CV joint there is a small plug that you
remove while the car is running and level. If transmission fluid starts
to drip out once the plug is removed the fluid level is fine. There is a
simple logic behind this. You should of noticed a very shallow pan on
this transmission. Fluid level can no longer be accurately checked with a
dip stick and unless there is a leak there is really no reason to check it.
For people that choose to ignore what the car maker recommends you can wear
the pan bolts out changing fluid every two weeks if you want. You are just
going to have to do a little more work to check it every other week between
fluid changes...