starting it?

Old November 10th 03, 11:31 PM
signman

Default starting it?

What was the proper starting procedure for a 1964 Ford F-100 pickup, having
a manual choke?

I'm interested in one that's for sale in my area, but don't want to have
trouble getting it running. It's been a long time since I dealt w/ a
vehicle having a manual choke and I really don't want to have problems with
it (like flooding it).

signman

Old November 11th 03, 12:40 AM
G.R. Patterson III

signman wrote:

> What was the proper starting procedure for a 1964 Ford F-100 pickup, having
> a manual choke?

Give it full choke and try to start it. If it doesn't catch in two or three
seconds, pump the throttle one to three times. When it starts, give it enough
gas to keep it running and slowly push the choke in. You will probably have to
keep the choke applied about halfway until the engine warms up. In hot weather,
the choke can be taken off almost immediately.

If you flood it, push the choke all the way in, give it full throttle, and
crank 'til it starts. Then apply a little choke to keep it running. If it won't
start with the normal procedure, raise the hood. If you smell gas, it's flooded.

Some Ford engines had a heat riser from the manifold to the carburetor. Some had
a water passage just below the carb. Both of these provide heat to keep the carb
from icing up. If this engine has the riser, you can take the choke off in a
minute or two. If it has water heat, it will take 5 or 10 minutes for the water
to warm up enough to keep it running well. The engine will also have a tendency
to stall for 15 minutes or so after starting when the humidity is high if it has
the water heat. Water heat was used in the '61 six-cylinders, and I do not know
when Ford quit using it.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.
Old November 12th 03, 12:16 AM
signman

George,
Many thanks for your help

A few years ago I was in a similar situation...had to drive someone else's
old truck w/ manual choke and had royally flooded it the first time I tried
to use the vehicle. Next time I got it running, but have no clue what I had
done...kinda "hit or miss".
When I had posted here to ask for help, someone told me "just listen. The
truck will tell you what it needs."
Not exactly helpful....
I'm most appreciative you didn't do that!

signman