'87 Jetta GLI 16V - progress

Old July 22nd 05, 02:46 PM
Rex B

dave wrote:
> "Rex B" > wrote in message
>
>>dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
>>
>>>I have seen some cats that have lost their guts through the exhaust but
>>>the engines were still running fine with the 02 sensor online.
>>>I have also seen many 02 sensors installed in exhaust pipes, so they are
>>>not in the exhaust manifold nor cat.
>>>
>>>Just try yours and see. ;-)

>>The tech told me his milliammeter would not come up into the working range
>>because the O2 sensor was not getting hot enough, so it needed a new cat
>>before he could tune it. But honestly I did not try it myself, nor did I
>>verify that the heater circuit was working. I will do that, thanks
>>
>>Rex

> Well that is a possibility, but I would have to see that myself. You can
> plug into the FPR, jump the fuel pump relay, turn the ign. on and read the
> current without the engine being on. At least that is what I remember and
> I usually do this to vehicles that don't start. :-)
> Remember that I am NOT plugging into the 02 sensor but the Fuel Pressure
> Regulator wiring.

I guess you use that standard test harness that you use to check
millamps through the FPR?
Old July 22nd 05, 07:23 PM
Rex B

I adjusted the mixture screw last night until I could blip the throttle
without it trying to die. Then I drove it around the neighborhood a bit,
and it seemed to drive pretty well, although it was not perfect. Once it
got over about 5000 at WOT it really came alive, something it has not
done well since I've owned it. It may be still too lean, and it has
that odd smell that I used to associate with incorrect ignition timing.
Additional tuning is indicated, but I am going to try and leave that
for the next owner. Thanks much to Dave and others for your help.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Old July 23rd 05, 04:26 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

"Rex B" > wrote in message

> I guess you use that standard test harness that you use to check millamps
> through the FPR?

yeah I build up something from some spare plugs off of another wiring
harness.

Old July 25th 05, 09:33 PM
Rex B

Followup.
OK, the car ran well after adjusting the mixture by feel. Called the
buyer, he was tickled, and drove it home (not tags, no inspection, roll
cage, a little loud) to north Dallas. Called and said it wouldn't idle
nor rev over 3000. Sigh.
Next day he said he found a cracked plastic piece where the
injectors enter the intake manifold. He is going to get all new pieces
to seal the injectors today. I think he is onto something.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Old July 26th 05, 01:49 PM
dave

BTW I have seen bad injectors do that also.
It all depends on what is marginal on the car. If too many things are
marginal they can all add up to a poor running vehicle. :-(
Could be clogged screen on the intank fuel pump, or clogged inlet to the
main fuel pump housing, or or or..........

keep us informed if the problems are found!

Old July 26th 05, 11:22 PM
Rex B

That's the direction I was going when it started running.
Had it not run OK, ignition was next.
Injector seals would have followed after that, then injectors.

I'm pretty sure fuel tank, both pumps, fuel distributor assembly
throttle body are fairly correct.
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Old July 29th 05, 07:58 PM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Either not enough fuel getting inside the cylinders or possibly a clogged
exhaust system.
I had a collasped rear muffler on my 91 Passat. It did not run well at all
that way. lol

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

> "Rex B" > wrote in message
>> Followup.
>> OK, the car ran well after adjusting the mixture by feel. Called the
>> buyer, he was tickled, and drove it home (not tags, no inspection, roll
>> cage, a little loud) to north Dallas. Called and said it wouldn't idle
>> nor rev over 3000. Sigh.
>> Next day he said he found a cracked plastic piece where the injectors
>> enter the intake manifold. He is going to get all new pieces to seal the
>> injectors today. I think he is onto something.

90 Jetta Idle problem on startup / 98 Jetta ignition key question Lee VW water cooled 2 June 14th 05 12:36 PM
Jetta Rim Size Glenn VW water cooled 4 May 15th 05 05:21 AM
'95 Jetta III + OBD + clearing code2 XXninjatooXX VW water cooled 3 April 7th 05 12:23 PM
Jetta: 1999 GL TDI versus 2000 GLS (buying) Cymen Vig VW water cooled 6 February 28th 05 11:48 PM