c3 running warm?

Old May 31st 05, 10:40 PM
Larry & Michele

Default c3 running warm?

Hey guys, I have a question about my 79 running warm. It gets up to about
230 at interstate speeds after bout 10 minutes or so. When I drop back to
side roads or under say 50mph, the temp comes back down. Now im smart enuff
to know that higher rpm + more heat, and vice versa. Ive already replaced
radiator, water pump and thermostat(185) . The exhaust smells fuely, like it
may be running a little rich, or possibly retarded causing the engine to run
warm??? Is this a normal temp range and is there something Im overlooking?.
Btw it does not have the lower front spoiler and im wondering if that has
something to do with it. Any thoughts?
Larry in Va Beach

Old June 1st 05, 12:54 AM
Bob G.

Is this a normal temp range and is there something Im overlooking?.
>Btw it does not have the lower front spoiler and im wondering if that has
>something to do with it. Any thoughts?
> Larry in Va Beach

That little 1 1/2 or 3 inch piece THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE will drop the
temp at least 15 degrees......

Been there done that.... the foam insulation around the radiator /
hood is also darn important....

Bob G

Old June 1st 05, 01:10 AM
BDragon

"Larry & Michele" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Hey guys, I have a question about my 79 running warm. It gets up to about
> 230 at interstate speeds after bout 10 minutes or so. When I drop back to
> side roads or under say 50mph, the temp comes back down. Now im smart

enuff
> to know that higher rpm + more heat, and vice versa. Ive already replaced
> radiator, water pump and thermostat(185) . The exhaust smells fuely, like

it
> may be running a little rich, or possibly retarded causing the engine to

run
> warm??? Is this a normal temp range and is there something Im

overlooking?.
> Btw it does not have the lower front spoiler and im wondering if that has
> something to do with it. Any thoughts?
> Larry in Va Beach

Because of the slanted mounting of the radiator, it's hard to get air to go
through it. The front dam or scoop is mandatory. The foam around the
radiator is mandatory. A good fan that pulling a lot of air is mandatory.
My '77 runs at about 210 -215. It's a little nerve-wracking, but that's
where it's normal. Fact is, the C3 seems to run pretty hot. There is an
additive you can put in the radiator that helps it run cooler, too, but I
can't think of the name of it right now. Maybe someone else can.

Old June 1st 05, 01:30 AM
Larry & Michele

yeah, i found the additive..it does help some. Im looking around at corvette
america online and found the air dam for 39 dollars but i cant find the foam
for the shroud. Im also looking at the indy super one piece spoiler..anyone
had any experiences installing similar?.. This is my first vette and a
culmination of 26 years of "wanting" lol. Im not gonna skimp on keeping it
running well

Old June 1st 05, 04:44 AM
Bob G

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:30:07 GMT, "Larry & Michele"
> wrote:

>yeah, i found the additive..it does help some. Im looking around at corvette
>america online and found the air dam for 39 dollars but i cant find the foam
>for the shroud. Im also looking at the indy super one piece spoiler..anyone
>had any experiences installing similar?.. This is my first vette and a
>culmination of 26 years of "wanting" lol. Im not gonna skimp on keeping it
>running well
>"BDragon" > wrote in message

==================>>>>>>>>>>>>

Larry OR Michele....

All the major vendors will have the air dam.... The radiator
stuff is available I know from Dr Rebuild... Total cost for everything
should be under 50 bucks...(???) or at least close...

My 79 came from the factory with the indy spoiler ...3 pieces...NOT
one...

Over the years I have hit enough curbs that I have experience with 1
piece 2 piece and 3 piece indy spoilers...believe me 3 piece is the
way to go....2 piece is ok...forget about the 1 piece spoiler...

Reasons above are all for ease of installation...

I am a lifetime member of the C3 registry...(C3vr.com) and although
standard membership now will cost you 10 bucks you will get that back
in good advice in no time flat...I suggest you whip out your visa card
and start asking questions on all their forums....

Bob Griffiths
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes...

Old June 1st 05, 03:01 PM
Dave

hey isn't that called water wetter or something like that ?

Old June 1st 05, 03:02 PM
Dave

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

yup that is it.. water wetter redline products

dave

--

=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===

Old June 2nd 05, 12:26 AM
BDragon

"Dave" > wrote in message
m...
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

yup that is it.. water wetter redline products

dave

--

Corvette Central, too.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:35 AM
Pete

I had the same problem on my 78 vette. Ran a little hot when I was at
cruising speeds. I put a new clutch on the fan. (I could see fluid leaking
from the fan clutch.) Solved my problem. I don't think air flows through the
radiator at road speeds on my model without help from the fan. The air is
drawn in from below and in front of the radiator.

Pete

Old June 2nd 05, 07:29 PM
RicSeyler

There is also something called Below Zero
or a name similar.

Dave wrote:

> http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
>
> yup that is it.. water wetter redline products
>
> dave
>
> --
>

> === you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===
>

> "Dave"
> >> wrote in message
> > hey isn't that called water wetter or something like that ?
> >
> > > There is an
> > > additive you can put in the radiator that helps it run cooler,

> too, but I
> > > can't think of the name of it right now. Maybe someone else can.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

1973 280SEL 4.5 running rough Alex Technology 2 May 21st 05 04:24 PM
Lumpy idle on E34 525 TDS when warm nick smith BMW 1 April 16th 05 07:06 PM
90 yj running hot Jason Halsey Jeep 5 February 7th 05 07:58 PM
'95 Civic Cooling Fan not running DesignGuy Honda 6 January 4th 05 09:16 AM
1991 Civic warm up time [email protected] Honda 9 December 23rd 04 08:23 PM