transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

Old February 27th 06, 11:36 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Default transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

A Ford Explorer 2001 that takes a transponder key.

Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a new key made? Is
this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly will it cost?

Is there any workaround? Is it possible to break the steering lock and
enable the ignition?

I'm in Kansas City Kansas.

--

(||) Nehmo (||)

Old February 27th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
> Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a new key made? Is
> this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly will it cost?

It is sometimes possible to negotiate this situation with the vehicle's
computer, in which case the cost is not hugely unreasonable. Some
locksmiths can handle this; any dealer should be able to.

If not, it becomes necessary to replace the vehicle's computer, in which
case costs probably start around $500 and go up from there. In that
case, you're talking to the dealer, or possibly to an auto mechanic if
you're willing to accept a second-source module.

> Is there any workaround? Is it possible to break the steering lock and
> enable the ignition?

No.

Old February 27th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

You simply need to have two new keys cut for the vehicle and reprogrammed.
Just call your dealer for a price..Replacing the computer will only place
you back to square one- you will still need the keys cut and programmed.
Also, it is the KEY that enables the ignition; it will still not start
just because you break the lock and are able to turn the switch.

Old February 27th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

"Nehmo Sergheyev" > wrote in message
>A Ford Explorer 2001 that takes a transponder key.

the transponder started in the Explorer in mid-year 2001

> Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a
> new key made? Is
> this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly
> will it cost?

A locksmith that does trasnsponder keys can help you with
this.
prices vary depending on your goegraphical location.
price for making key + programing key + transponder key.
we would charge in our area $150.00
note; while you are at it, have two made and programed.
that way you can add a third key yourself without having to
get it programmed.

> Is there any workaround?

No...

>Is it possible to break the steering lock and
> enable the ignition?

No...

sorry for the cross-posted reply.
just trying to locate you.

g'luck
--
"Key"

Old February 28th 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Old February 28th 06, 08:31 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

This is indeed the truth.... 02 and later pretty much (AFAIK) conform to the
user being able to program a third key at home providing they have both
programmed keys. Before 02, there were some variations as PATs strategy was
being implemented/studied/improved.... this included no user programmable
features in some years/models.

One should always be wary of assuming things....

Old February 28th 06, 09:30 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Marsh Monster wrote:
> .
> .
> .
> as it pertains to the topic at hand....
> I dug this link out.
> .
> .
> http://www.f150driver.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=14
>

> As to the OPs concerns,
> I agree with the higher minds hear........
> Be it from a locksmith or the dealer,
> getting another key is the least costly
> alternative. Not the only alternative.
> Just the most economical and most
> logical.
>

> ~:~
> MarshMonster
> ~:~

about your link. wtf is this guy talking about, volts of resistance?
get a pack of resistors close to your voltage.....ok.....right...
shouldn't it say measure your keys resistance, buy resistors to
match...Is he just making this up? he also said the wires are covered in
tubing that say 'SRS caution' on them. OMG. did you read it marsh?

Old February 28th 06, 10:10 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

..
..
====
====
ShoeSaleman wrote:
> Marsh Monster wrote:
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > as it pertains to the topic at hand....
> > I dug this link out.
> > .
> > .
> > http://www.f150driver.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=14
> >

> > As to the OPs concerns,
> > I agree with the higher minds hear........
> > Be it from a locksmith or the dealer,
> > getting another key is the least costly
> > alternative. Not the only alternative.
> > Just the most economical and most
> > logical.
> >

> > ~:~
> > MarshMonster
> > ~:~
> >

> about your link. wtf is this guy talking about, volts of resistance?
> get a pack of resistors close to your voltage.....ok.....right...
> shouldn't it say measure your keys resistance, buy resistors to
> match...Is he just making this up? he also said the wires are covered in
> tubing that say 'SRS caution' on them. OMG. did you read it marsh?

=====
=====
Shoe,

I read it.
Don't know how true it is....but I read it.

If you click on the link at the top right of that post......
it'll give the thread it was posted in.

I know it's doable on the the GM vats systems that use
the resister in the key....but....I've yet to come across a
sure fire method on Fords pats systems.

The dude that made the post may not have used his
terminology according to practicle application, but I
understood the proceedure as he outlined it. Not so
sure I'd be brave enough to go chopping on wires marked
for the SRS though. lmao..brave dude.

any whooo...

like they say on TV......don't go try'n this at home.

~:~
marshmonster
~:~

Old February 28th 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

VATS is way different than PATS (as the Ford system is known as).

VATS was used on GM type vehicles and involved a resistor. The early
models used values 0 to 15. The later models dropped 0 and used 1 to
15. It is essentially a resistor embedded within the key. You have 1
out of 15 (or 16) of getting the resistor value correct. Think of it as
a letter of the alphabet (as an example). Just guessing the correct
letter is fairly easy.

PATS (and all other Transponder technology) uses a transponder, which is
a radio wave frequency. The computer sends a signal to the head of the
key and it responds with a unique value. If the value programmed within
the computer memory is found, the vehicle will start. There are
BILLIONS of transponder codes within this technology. There is no
fooling the system with a resistor. Think of it as a fingerprint.
Guessing what fingerprint it requires is a whole lot more complicated.

Sunshine Locksmith Team
http://www.SunshineLocksmith.com
http://www.SunshineTeam.net

Old February 28th 06, 02:34 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

..
..
TOP POST
=======
=======
Thank you,
but I am very much aware of the differences in the two
systems.......and the operational parameters of the two.

but.....

nice posting style.

~:~
MarshMonster