Squeaky Control Arms

Old October 15th 04, 03:50 AM
J Koli

Default Squeaky Control Arms

Audi dealer in CT reported today that the squeaks I am hearing from the rear
of my 1995 A6 with 140,000 miles are the control arms. The bushing
supposedly cannot be replaced. One has to replace the entire control arm.

Dealer quoted the replacement control arms for the rear as $2,400 plus labor
to install. Sounds way out....it seems Audi control arms have this
squeaking problem fairly often.

Any ideas how to get rid of these squeaks at a little less cost?

Thanks... If U have a comment, please send a duplicate answer to the email
adr below.

JK

Old October 15th 04, 03:58 AM
Noozer

> Dealer quoted the replacement control arms for the rear as $2,400 plus
labor
> to install. Sounds way out....it seems Audi control arms have this
> squeaking problem fairly often.

WHAT?!!!

Are they made out of gold?

Brand new rear control arms for my Cutlass are $40 each and less than 20
minutes to replace!

Old October 15th 04, 05:02 AM
KWS

I didn't find these parts, but similar front end parts cost about $150 or
less.

Yep. Sounds way out to me as well.

Ken

t...

Old October 15th 04, 08:57 AM
Alec

"J Koli" > wrote in message
t...
> Audi dealer in CT reported today that the squeaks I am hearing from the
> rear
> of my 1995 A6 with 140,000 miles are the control arms. The bushing
> supposedly cannot be replaced. One has to replace the entire control arm.

ETKA shows the bushes as separate items....
I take it this is a non-Quattro with the beam axel ?
Rgds

---

Old October 20th 04, 12:50 PM
Tom Jeffs

I had the same problem with my 98 A4, but had it done under warranty.

Anyway, a mechanic friend of mine repaired a friend's A4 with the same
problem. He injected oil into the bushes with a syringe. It stopped the
problem dead in its tracks, he just fills them back up every year.

Cheap, but works fine.

Tom

Old October 21st 04, 02:38 AM
K Bourke

Errr, as I understand it (through replacing control arms on both our A6 and
A4), the issue is not the pesky squeaking, but the fact that this
(Bi-metallic) part squeaks when there's movement between the arm and the pin
(no bushing here). A "zero tolerance" item, Audi won't safety the front end
if there's movement/squeak.....don't short-change yourself in the
steering/control department.....

K.

Old October 30th 04, 02:46 AM
Brian_K

I have the same problem with my 2000 A6. Any good mechanic in SF Bay Area
for this type of work? Thanks.

Old October 30th 04, 04:25 AM
Dale Webler

Same problem here with '99 A6 in Milwaukee. $900+ per side for fix at
International Auto.

lkaboutautos.com...