2000 Sunfire Automatic Transmission Revving

Old April 24th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 2000 Sunfire Automatic Transmission Revving

Hello
I hope someone can help me with an issue. Recently, I had a severe
transmission fluid leak due to a rotted line. I was able to fix that
leak, but I am still having issues with a slight leak coming from the
pan area and my engine seems to rev at low speeds. Meaning, even when
I don't give it gas the RPM's go from 2000 to 4000 and back down. The
car also seems to hesitate when I press the gas when I am at a stop,
like it is missing a gear.
I've added plenty of fluid and still have this issue even when full.
Could this original leak have caused more damage then I thought it did?
Please help if you can, thanks.

Old April 24th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> Hello
> I hope someone can help me with an issue. Recently, I had a severe
> transmission fluid leak due to a rotted line. I was able to fix that
> leak, but I am still having issues with a slight leak coming from the
> pan area and my engine seems to rev at low speeds. Meaning, even when
> I don't give it gas the RPM's go from 2000 to 4000 and back down. The
> car also seems to hesitate when I press the gas when I am at a stop,
> like it is missing a gear.
> I've added plenty of fluid and still have this issue even when full.
> Could this original leak have caused more damage then I thought it did?
> Please help if you can, thanks.

How much damage was done by the leak depends on how mmuch you drove it
with the level low. Yes, you would do severe damage by driving it low.
Now it's full and you have problems. 2 + 2 = 4

You describe a slipping transmission and heavy wear takes place when
it's slipping. You better have it looked at as the cost of repairing
just goes up the longer you drive it in that condition.

Old April 24th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I was afraid of that. I caught the leak a little late I think. I
actually thought it was something else originally. Wonderful. I will
do that asap. Thanks.

Old April 24th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello
> I hope someone can help me with an issue. Recently, I had a severe
> transmission fluid leak due to a rotted line. I was able to fix that
> leak, but I am still having issues with a slight leak coming from the
> pan area and my engine seems to rev at low speeds. Meaning, even when
> I don't give it gas the RPM's go from 2000 to 4000 and back down. The
> car also seems to hesitate when I press the gas when I am at a stop,
> like it is missing a gear.

Classic symptom of a vacuum leak. Check closely to see if you did not
disturb some vacuum line during your repairs.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old April 25th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> Classic symptom of a vacuum leak. Check closely to see if you did not
> disturb some vacuum line during your repairs.

What kind of prolonged issue would this cause to the engine if that is
the case?

Old April 26th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I don't see any engine issue in this case. You are not over revving the
motor. This doesn't sound like a vacuum leak to me because you say the
revs go up and you also feel like you are missing a gear. If the revs
were going up due to vacuum you would also be experiencing
acceleration, which you are not.
You may not have heavy wear if the electronic control is taking the
transmission out of gear when the engine revs. In other words, it may
not be slipping. It might not just be in gear due to an electronic
malfunction. This new problem might not be related to the leak that you
had. It could be a separate coincidental failure. However, you don't
say that you have any warning lights going off.

Old April 27th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well, the check engine light is on. I am going to stop at Autozone and
see if they can tell me what it means. My dad actually mentioned the
electronic idea to me, which I hope it is not. Thanks for your help Al.