'98 Neon. Sunroof problem / racheting sound

Old April 10th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default '98 Neon. Sunroof problem / racheting sound

Hi all -

I have a 1998 Ply Neon. It's a 4-door, 19k miles, original owner.

I'm having a problem with the factory installed sunroof. It won't
open/close properly. It makes a clicking/ racheting sound like
something in the motor is not correctly engaging. Right now it
will only close 95% of the way. HELP!

Thanks, Phil
Old April 10th 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"Phil Marshall" > wrote in message
> Hi all -
>
> I have a 1998 Ply Neon. It's a 4-door, 19k miles, original owner.
>
> I'm having a problem with the factory installed sunroof. It won't
> open/close properly. It makes a clicking/ racheting sound like
> something in the motor is not correctly engaging. Right now it
> will only close 95% of the way. HELP!
>
> Thanks, Phil

Phil, the cable or motor drive gear is stripped, you would have to remove
the motor for inspection.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old April 10th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"maxpower" > wrote:
> --
>
> "Phil Marshall" > wrote in message
> > Hi all -
> >
> > I have a 1998 Ply Neon. It's a 4-door, 19k miles, original owner.
> >
> > I'm having a problem with the factory installed sunroof. It won't
> > open/close properly. It makes a clicking/ racheting sound like
> > something in the motor is not correctly engaging. Right now it
> > will only close 95% of the way. HELP!
> >
> > Thanks, Phil

> Phil, the cable or motor drive gear is stripped, you would have to remove
> the motor for inspection.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Is this the kind of repair that a handy do-it-yourselfer could take on?
Where to find replacement parts? Cost?

Or would it make more sense to take it in for service. Any idea (ballpark) on
what it may run?

The timing could not have been worse as I am looking into getting a new car
and wanted to use the Neon for a trade-in.

Thanks, Phil
Old April 10th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--
"Phil Marshall" > wrote in message
> "maxpower" > wrote:
> > --
> >
> > "Phil Marshall" > wrote in message
> > > Hi all -
> > >
> > > I have a 1998 Ply Neon. It's a 4-door, 19k miles, original owner.
> > >
> > > I'm having a problem with the factory installed sunroof. It won't
> > > open/close properly. It makes a clicking/ racheting sound like
> > > something in the motor is not correctly engaging. Right now it
> > > will only close 95% of the way. HELP!
> > >
> > > Thanks, Phil

> > Phil, the cable or motor drive gear is stripped, you would have to

remove
> > the motor for inspection.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> Is this the kind of repair that a handy do-it-yourselfer could take on?
> Where to find replacement parts? Cost?
>
> Or would it make more sense to take it in for service. Any idea (ballpark)

on
> what it may run?
>
> The timing could not have been worse as I am looking into getting a new

car
> and wanted to use the Neon for a trade-in.
>
> Thanks, Phil

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you can drop down the front
headliner and pop the motor off for inspection but if you have to replace
the cables I would let a qualified person take care of that. Cost, I have no
idea. we sublet most of our sunroof repairs out

2001 neon fuse problem sirphunkee Chrysler 14 March 28th 05 02:53 AM
Problem with Sunroof Gerry Micari BMW 1 December 30th 04 06:46 PM
GPL Sound problem. EldredP Simulators 1 October 25th 04 01:41 PM
1997 Neon Espresso coupe Fuel Filler Door problem ZZ Dodge 0 July 23rd 04 04:59 AM