American vs German Quality

Old December 14th 04, 06:35 PM
Rick Blaine

"Steve" > wrote in message
> KokomoKid wrote:
>
> > "Rick Blaine" > wrote in message
> >
> >>"KokomoKid" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...

> >>old

> > valve

> > the

> >>reliable,

> > was

> > changes

> > would

> >>U.S.,

> > They

> > you

> >>Not my experience. My valves always got loose, and not that often.
> >>

> > Mine only got tighter than they were set a time or two, but it did

happen.
> > Some points of wear make them get tight, and others make them get loose.

> > probably checked them more often than necessary, but at the time I had

more
> > spare time than money.

> I used to work with an avid air-cooled VW aficianado. He insisted that
> overheating an air-head was the quickest way to cause the valves to
> "tighten" because the valve stems would actually stretch under the
> spring tension, allowing the lash clearance to close up and thus leading
> to a valve leak that would burn a valve.
>
> And yes, he was ALWAYS pulling the engines out and doing maintenance. He
> had over 200k miles on one of them, but probably no more than 30-40 k
> without some form of fairly major dis-assembly.

O.K. I'm curious, what major work was required at 30-40k. I'm assuming
we're talking about stock engines and not modified racing one's right?

Old December 14th 04, 06:35 PM
Rick Blaine

Old December 14th 04, 07:31 PM
Steve

Rick Blaine wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
>>KokomoKid wrote:
>>

>>>"Rick Blaine" > wrote in message

rthlink.net...

>>>valve

>>>the

>>>was

>>>changes

>>>would

>>>They

>>>you

>>>Mine only got tighter than they were set a time or two, but it did

> happen.
>
>>>Some points of wear make them get tight, and others make them get loose.

>>>probably checked them more often than necessary, but at the time I had

> more
>
>>>spare time than money.

>>I used to work with an avid air-cooled VW aficianado. He insisted that
>>overheating an air-head was the quickest way to cause the valves to
>>"tighten" because the valve stems would actually stretch under the
>>spring tension, allowing the lash clearance to close up and thus leading
>>to a valve leak that would burn a valve.
>>
>>And yes, he was ALWAYS pulling the engines out and doing maintenance. He
>>had over 200k miles on one of them, but probably no more than 30-40 k
>>without some form of fairly major dis-assembly.
>>

> O.K. I'm curious, what major work was required at 30-40k. I'm assuming
> we're talking about stock engines and not modified racing one's right?

Stock engines, and the Bug was a '63 IIRC. The Bus was more like a '68.
I don't remember exactly what all he did to them routinely, he was
probably more of a maintenance fanatic than he really had to be. He did
claim that pulling the engine was far easier than doing ANY work on it
in the chassis. He finally replaced the Bus with a Vanagon in the late
'80s, and not long after that he got rid of all his VWs. The Vanagon put
him off them for good, I'm afraid.

Old December 14th 04, 07:31 PM
Steve

Rick Blaine wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
>>KokomoKid wrote:
>>

>>>"Rick Blaine" > wrote in message

rthlink.net...

American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 04:27 PM
Driving lessons in American schools John Rowland Driving 62 December 23rd 04 12:33 AM
German F-1 Calendar Anna Lisa BMW 0 November 25th 04 07:05 AM
Where to find list of 1930's American Automobile Manufacturers [email protected] Antique cars 4 November 1st 03 06:44 AM