Dang Furriners

Old December 31st 04, 05:52 AM
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> I don't know - post a .WAV file of your voice.

This isn't a binary group. Besides, my voice alone won't help you
determine one way or the other (though the way I pronounce words would).
Old December 31st 04, 08:05 AM
Arif Khokar

{STP} wrote:

> Arif Khokar > wrote:

>>Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>>I don't know - post a .WAV file of your voice.

>>This isn't a binary group. Besides, my voice alone won't help you
>>determine one way or the other (though the way I pronounce words would).

> Bingo!

My uncle's family moved to the US about 10 years ago. His oldest child
was around 7 at the time. You would not be able to tell that she was
"foreign" by the way she speaks now.

Therefore, accent alone does not prove whether one is "foreign" or not.
Old December 31st 04, 08:05 AM
Arif Khokar

Old December 31st 04, 08:05 PM
Bernard Farquart

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message

> My uncle's family moved to the US about 10 years ago. His oldest child
> was around 7 at the time. You would not be able to tell that she was
> "foreign" by the way she speaks now.
>
> Therefore, accent alone does not prove whether one is "foreign" or not.

I don't know why I feel the need to reply to this thread,
but I seem to. If she moved here when she was seven, and
she is seventeen, then she is more a product of US schools
and culture, and so not really "foreign" at all.

In my opinion.

Bernard

Old December 31st 04, 08:05 PM
Bernard Farquart

Old January 2nd 05, 06:25 PM
Geoff Miller

DTJ > writes:

> My wife waited at a Carson's for help at Christmas, and the sales
> ladies of a particular ethnicity ignored her for 10 minutes until
> one of their own walked up.

Why didn't your wife assert herself, rather than passively waiting
to be "noticed?"

I find that with the quality of service going down everywhere, I
have to exert such "guidance" more and more. And I discovered
that the more I did it, the easier and more natural it felt.

> Racism is bad. Reverse racism is just as bad, if not worse, because
> it perpetuates racism.

That's a fact.

Geoff

--
"All my father wanted to do was make a toaster
you could really set the darkness on -- and
Old January 2nd 05, 06:25 PM
Geoff Miller

DTJ > writes:

> My wife waited at a Carson's for help at Christmas, and the sales
> ladies of a particular ethnicity ignored her for 10 minutes until
> one of their own walked up.

Why didn't your wife assert herself, rather than passively waiting
to be "noticed?"

I find that with the quality of service going down everywhere, I
have to exert such "guidance" more and more. And I discovered
that the more I did it, the easier and more natural it felt.

> Racism is bad. Reverse racism is just as bad, if not worse, because
> it perpetuates racism.

That's a fact.

Geoff

Old January 2nd 05, 06:33 PM
Geoff Miller

fbloogyudsr > has his tender liberal
sensibilities bruised:

> Scott, you and others (although I have DTJ blocked so I shouldn't
> complain about him) are ****ing me off with all this crap. Please
> stop. You can't tell by looking at someone who is a foreigner, you
> can't tell by listening to them, you can't tell from their driving
> habits, etc., etc., etc.

The *hell* you can't.

> There have been some many racist comments on this ng that I'm
> almost to the point of un-subscribing because the general tone is
> so abhorrent to me.

Sounds like a _personal_ problem to me, bud. It would certainly
be no skin off of my ass if you unsubscribed, and I suspect I'm
not alone in that sentiment.

Besides, something isn't "racist" if it's true.

Geoff

Old January 2nd 05, 06:33 PM
Geoff Miller

Old January 2nd 05, 06:36 PM
Geoff Miller

Furious George asked:

>> Why do you hate white people?

Our resident Mohammedan extremist Arif Khokar >
responds:

> Because many white people who are racist are downright stupid
> and I dislike stupid people in general.

Oh, the irony!

Geoff