Body Control Module 98 Caravan-problem?

Old December 19th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Default Body Control Module 98 Caravan-problem?

> wrote in message
ps.com...

> damnnickname wrote:
> > You got it!!!The mileage is stored in the BCM and can only be reset by
> > Chrysler and I dont mean the dealer. You lucky thats the only problem

you
> > got from swapping out those modules, I h ave heard alot more horry

stories
> > then what you have
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> I just had the BCM replaced in a 1996 Granbd Voyager, and when I went
> to pick it up, I noticed some different behavior and I was wondering if
> you could give me some advice.
>
> When I open the door the "dinging" goes off like I have my lights on
> even though they are off.
>
> When I start the car, turn the lights on then turn the car off--- I
> turn off the lights and the parking lights stay on for a number of
> minutes--- It used to be the head lights.
>

> There are a couple of other things that are quirky, My question is
> could the part be
>
> installed incorrectly?
> Programmed incorrectly?
>
> I have more problems caused by the BCM going out
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

I don't have the original thread but do see my last post stating that your
lucky that's the only problem you got. Did you swap out a BCM with another
vehicle or get this one thru Chrysler?

Glenn

Old December 19th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

I swapped it out with a new chrysler parg

Old December 19th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I swapped it out with a new chrysler parg
> maxpower wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ps.com...

by

problem
> > you

> > stories

> > > I just had the BCM replaced in a 1996 Granbd Voyager, and when I went
> > > to pick it up, I noticed some different behavior and I was wondering

if
> > > you could give me some advice.
> > >
> > > When I open the door the "dinging" goes off like I have my lights on
> > > even though they are off.
> > >
> > > When I start the car, turn the lights on then turn the car off--- I
> > > turn off the lights and the parking lights stay on for a number of
> > > minutes--- It used to be the head lights.
> > >

> > > There are a couple of other things that are quirky, My question is
> > > could the part be
> > >
> > > installed incorrectly?
> > > Programmed incorrectly?
> > >
> > > I have more problems caused by the BCM going out
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >

> > I don't have the original thread but do see my last post stating that

your
> > lucky that's the only problem you got. Did you swap out a BCM with

another
> > vehicle or get this one thru Chrysler?
> >
> > Glenn

well I didn't learn Parg in school , I have no idea what that means. If it
is from another vehicle that was swapped you may have caused more problems
then you had to begin with as I said before. And before you can continue to
repair the problem you will need to install the correct BCM and may also
have to replace any other module that has learned what the BCM requested.

Glenn

Old March 1st 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Simon

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> > 100K. In other

>> > words, the State of Oregon has determined that a vehicle after 100K had
>> > completely

>> 2 different things
>>
>> > depreciated and a vehicle with 100K on it is worth the same money as a
>> > vehicle with
>> > 200K on it. Oregon did not used to do this but started doing it this

> way
>> > after they
>> > replaced the computer system at the DMV. (another horror story for a
>> > different post)
>> > I very strongly suspect that the feds don't require mileage tracking on
>> > vehicles after
>> > 100K which is why the state is getting away with it.
>> >
>> > From a value standpoint it is very true that at some point it makes no
>> > difference
>> > how much mileage is on a vehicle in terms of it's value. Would you for
>> > example

>> Purchase a used car service contract and extend the mileage and tell me
>> it
>> makes no difference to Chrysler.

> How many companies offer used car service contracts on vehicles that
> have 150K+ miles on them?
>
> Google Chrysler....get the 800 number and
>> call them ok? Chrysler and every other manufacturer have guidelines that
>> they follow. this is one of them. we don't make the rules!!!

> You are not listening which isn't unusual.
>
> OK, so Chrysler and it's service contract companies think a car value is
> still
> significantly affected by mileage even at the 100K Perfectly fine.
>
>> > Clearly all Chrysler would have to do is
>> > make a
>> > policy that they will change BMC mileage to anything you want as long
>> > as

>> the
>> > mileage figure you want is over some figure - such as 150K

> So, let me ask you - do you think that Chrysler and it's service contract
> companies still think car value is significantly affected by mileage at
> 150K
> miles?
> What about 200K? What about 250K?
>
> At some mileage point Chrysler's service
> contract companies aren't going to write a contract on a used vehicle.
>
> Do I know what that point is? No. Do I care? No. That is why I
> said the statement SOME FIGURE.
>
> I DO KNOW that that point exists. If you believe otherwise then please
> inform the group what service contract companies out there will write
> contracts on 250K+ mile cars and I'll go to the junkyard and collect
> a whole passel of them for $100 per car, put service contracts on them
> and just start driving them until they conk out. Within a year I'll get
> them all fixed for free according to your logic.
>
> So all Chrysler needs to do is say they will happily reprogram the BCM
> to ANY MILEAGE FIGURE THAT IS BEYOND THIS POINT for
> a fee.
>
> Did you not understand this? Did you not get it?

are there not laws that say that a vehicle's odometer actually has to be
accurate rather than some made-up number?....not arguing, just asking as i
don't live in usa.

Old March 1st 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Simon wrote:

> are there not laws that say that a vehicle's odometer actually has to be
> accurate rather than some made-up number?....not arguing, just asking as i
> don't live in usa.

My understanding is that the law recognizes that it is not always
technically practical to correct an odometer or computer that stores the
mileage (in fact you it makes it illegal to turn an odometer back) - so
rather than force you to scrap the car or put you in jail, it allows you
to sell it with the error as long as you disclose the error and the true
mileage to a potential buyer. I think most states (in the U.S.) allow
you to report the error on the title - in fact it may be required that
you do so.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')