Front Suspension No Travel

Old April 26th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Front Suspension No Travel

I have a 69 bug with an adjustable front beam, ball joints, short
shocks, and Karman Ghia disc brakes on the front end. This suspension
won't move up when the car is on the ground. I can jump on the front
end and it won't move. Been this way for 17 years since I put the
front beam and brakes on it. When you pull up on the front of the car.
It will stay up part way until you push it back down. When you jack
up the car, the tires will stay in place for a second then start to
drop down. When they come down though, they are sort of jerky, not
smooth. I have heard that it could be the needle bearings or bushings
in the tubes. I have heard that the ball joints could be in a bind
from being lowered. I have heard that the ball joints have to be
facing certain directions. I have heard that the adjusters could be
fighting against one another. What is your take on this problem?
D.J.

Old April 27th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a 69 bug with an adjustable front beam, ball joints, short
> shocks, and Karman Ghia disc brakes on the front end. This suspension
> won't move up when the car is on the ground. I can jump on the front
> end and it won't move. Been this way for 17 years since I put the
> front beam and brakes on it. When you pull up on the front of the car.
> It will stay up part way until you push it back down. When you jack
> up the car, the tires will stay in place for a second then start to
> drop down. When they come down though, they are sort of jerky, not
> smooth. I have heard that it could be the needle bearings or bushings
> in the tubes. I have heard that the ball joints could be in a bind
> from being lowered. I have heard that the ball joints have to be
> facing certain directions. I have heard that the adjusters could be
> fighting against one another. What is your take on this problem?
> D.J.

the torsion leaves are designed to twist....this is how your suspension
works....not only that, but they only work *well* when pinned in a certain
place...when you use adjusters, or the "cut and twist" meathod to lower your
front suspension, the suspension travel can become non-existant....my 68 has
new lowered balljoints, new beam, etc....it also has shocks that are fitted
to the application(not some off the shelf parts that others claim to
"work".....all this still results in a non existant front suspension due to
the beam centers being cut and twisted....my wheel and tire combination put
the outter edge of the wheels and tires about 1/4" out of the fender
openings....i have the car lowered to 3/8 inch of clearance between the
front fender and the tire.....the tires never hit the fenders...that is how
little the suspension moves....your problem is not bad needle bearings or
balljoints, or even shocks bottoming out, your problem is the torsion leaves
don't twist when they are in a position that the leverage created by the
trailing arms won't twist them.....rides like a gokart....or bicycle...or
whatever....i'm going to airbags....getting older...been driving these
things lowered for 17 years...tired of bouncing....good luck with yours...

Old April 27th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I had a lowered 68 bug with this problem. Check the ball joints and makes
sure that they are installed correctly. The travel should be front to back.
If they're installed where the travel is side to side, they will not allow
the suspension to move. I could jump up and down on my bumper and the car
wouldn't budge.
Andy

Old April 28th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Busman" > wrote in message
. net...
>I had a lowered 68 bug with this problem. Check the ball joints and makes
>sure that they are installed correctly. The travel should be front to back.
>If they're installed where the travel is side to side, they will not allow
>the suspension to move. I could jump up and down on my bumper and the car
>wouldn't budge.
> Andy
>

> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

i know my balljoints are in correctly because i put them in
personally...<G>... just a part of the front suspension's design....we ask
it to do things it isn't supposed to....

Old April 28th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to pull the boots back and see if the
top of the joint is slotted in one direction?

Old April 28th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

As I understand this adjustable front end it is simply pinned in a
different position from a stock beam. I have never seen a stock beam,
but surely it has a pin in the center of it to keep the torsion bars
from rotating completely around just like the adjustable one does. By
simply rotating the torsion bars slightly should not completely stop
them from twisting. Last night I adjusted the front end up as high as
I could turn the Allen-Head screws. There were some more threads left
but it looked like I couldn't push the adjustment up anymore (really
hard to turn). This raised the car up an inch. I thought it would
adjust up higher. Anyway, the same thing happened. I jumped on the
front and it wouldn't budge.