147 gear linkage

Old December 8th 05, 04:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default 147 gear linkage

Hi All
My 2001, 2litre, 147, has started making gear selection difficult. In the
1-2 and 3-4 plane there is no problem, but across the gate the lever is
becoming stiff, such that I have to search to find the next plane. i.e.
going from 2 to 3 or 5 to 4. Is this a problem of just a dry linkage cable
or a symptom of something worse. Will I be able to lubricate the cable to
cure the problem.
Thanks
Dave S.

Old December 9th 05, 08:22 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

David A Smith wrote in

> Hi All
> My 2001, 2litre, 147, has started making gear selection difficult.
> In the 1-2 and 3-4 plane there is no problem, but across the gate the
> lever is becoming stiff, such that I have to search to find the next
> plane. i.e. going from 2 to 3 or 5 to 4. Is this a problem of just a
> dry linkage cable or a symptom of something worse. Will I be able to
> lubricate the cable to cure the problem.

Have a look here - pictures and everyfink!

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum...TID=11371&PN=3

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Old December 9th 05, 03:18 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"PeterMcC" > wrote in message
> David A Smith wrote in
> >

>> Hi All
>> My 2001, 2litre, 147, has started making gear selection difficult.
>> In the 1-2 and 3-4 plane there is no problem, but across the gate the
>> lever is becoming stiff, such that I have to search to find the next
>> plane. i.e. going from 2 to 3 or 5 to 4. Is this a problem of just a
>> dry linkage cable or a symptom of something worse. Will I be able to
>> lubricate the cable to cure the problem.

> Have a look here - pictures and everyfink!
>
> http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum...TID=11371&PN=3
>
> --
> PeterMcC
> If you feel that any of the above is incorrect,
> inappropriate or offensive in any way,
> please ignore it and accept my apologies.

Peter
Thanks for that, good to know I'm not the onlt one with this problem, and
that it gets worse the longer the journey (and therefore the hotter it
becomes).
After I posted the original query, I phoned 'my people' and have now booked
the car for the shaft, where /what ever it is, to be lubricated.
I will report back.
Dave

Old December 13th 05, 01:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"David A Smith" > wrote in message

> "PeterMcC" > wrote in message
>> David A Smith wrote in
>> >

>>> Hi All
>>> My 2001, 2litre, 147, has started making gear selection difficult.
>>> In the 1-2 and 3-4 plane there is no problem, but across the gate the
>>> lever is becoming stiff, such that I have to search to find the next
>>> plane. i.e. going from 2 to 3 or 5 to 4. Is this a problem of just a
>>> dry linkage cable or a symptom of something worse. Will I be able to
>>> lubricate the cable to cure the problem.

>> Have a look here - pictures and everyfink!
>>
>> http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum...TID=11371&PN=3
>>
>> --
>> PeterMcC
>> If you feel that any of the above is incorrect,
>> inappropriate or offensive in any way,
>> please ignore it and accept my apologies.

> Peter
> Thanks for that, good to know I'm not the onlt one with this problem, and
> that it gets worse the longer the journey (and therefore the hotter it
> becomes).
> After I posted the original query, I phoned 'my people' and have now
> booked the car for the shaft, where /what ever it is, to be lubricated.
> I will report back.
> Dave

I have just got back from having the 'shaft lubricated', (take that what
ever way your mind wants) what a difference it has made. The gears are easy
to engage again.
Dave

Adjusting gear linkage on MK3 golf vw-stuff VW water cooled 0 October 17th 05 11:10 AM
How to remove/reinstall crankshaft timing gear Ryan Underwood Technology 12 August 8th 05 08:57 PM
Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 02:46 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 11:57 AM
97 Cabrio Shift Linkage Scott Metzger VW water cooled 1 October 6th 04 03:58 AM