Slow 1/4's for the 05's??

Old March 2nd 05, 01:35 PM
tony kujawa

Default Slow 1/4's for the 05's??

14.25-14.50??

Read this post from the camaro.firebird ng. NO, I'm not trolling, and this
guy may be BS'ing, but have any of you seen or run your '05 at the track?
If I'm going to get smoked by an LS-1, I have no interest in a new GT. I'll
go get a 98-02 T/A.

> Last Wednesday, Feb 2, was opening day for the 05 season at Sacramento
> Raceway. Two '05 Mustang GT's showed up, and everyone was interested to

see
> what they could do. Both cars had 5-speeds. They both ran pretty

consistent

Old March 2nd 05, 03:49 PM
tony kujawa

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:35:56 -0500, "tony kujawa"
> > wrote something wonderfully witty:
>
> >14.25-14.50??
> >
> >Read this post from the camaro.firebird ng. NO, I'm not trolling, and

this
> >guy may be BS'ing, but have any of you seen or run your '05 at the track?
> >If I'm going to get smoked by an LS-1, I have no interest in a new GT.

I'll
> >go get a 98-02 T/A.
> >

> It may be a whole bunch of things. What if the guy's running them
> didn't know what the hell they were doing? What if it was their first
> time at the track? Even if they had experience making runs, more then
> likely this was the first time they have had these particular cars at
> the track.

I guess you have a point, but .60-.90sec. off what the mags are runnung is
a huge difference.

> I am not going to go look-up the raw hp numbers on the cars, but the
> Fourth Gen's (depending on the exact model) used de-tuned Corvette
> Engines (LS-1). Also just because you get a T/A you may not get the
> right T/A. If your looking for balls out, you'll want one with the
> WS6 package on it. Ask yourself this question as well. Do I want a
> 3-6 year old muscle car that someone else has been running at the
> track or beating the **** out of or do I want I new car that I can
> beat the **** out of first?

A regular T/A and Z-28 put out 305, and the WS6 and SS put out 320. Not a
huge difference, worth a tenth or maybe 2. These run from high to low 13's
depending on driver and tranny. You are correct on these cars having the
**** beat out of them, but I am looking for one with under 20K miles and
under $20K. I really do like the new Mustang and have yet to test drive
one, but I have driven the LS-1's. Well, there is 4" of F-ing snow on the
ground here now, so a test drive is useless. Anyway, there are no shortages
of them around me, the small hick town dealer has 6 or 7 of them sitting in
their lot.

Old March 2nd 05, 07:47 PM
HerkyJerky

Oh no ! Its the 99 Cobra "where did my horsepower go" scenario. Of
course in that case the mags complained about the slow 1/4.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:34 PM
351CJ

tony kujawa wrote:
> 14.25-14.50??
>
> Read this post from the camaro.firebird ng. NO, I'm not trolling, and this
> guy may be BS'ing, but have any of you seen or run your '05 at the track?
> If I'm going to get smoked by an LS-1, I have no interest in a new GT. I'll
> go get a 98-02 T/A.
>

>>Last Wednesday, Feb 2, was opening day for the 05 season at Sacramento
>>Raceway. Two '05 Mustang GT's showed up, and everyone was interested to

> see
>
>>what they could do. Both cars had 5-speeds. They both ran pretty

> consistent
>
>>between 14.25 and 14.50. The best time I saw all night for either car was
>>14.24, and that was with almost no wheel-spin off the line. I would have
>>thought it would run about the same as an LT1 powered fourth gen. The
>>horsepower and weight are about the same. The whole crowd agreed they were
>>pretty disappointing.

Well I don't know what they are doing on the 1/4 mile track but they are
tearing up Daytona!

http://mustang50magazine.com/eventco...2w_gt_daytona/

With less than one day's experience behind the wheel of his new Ford
Racing Mustang GT race car, car owner and driver Tom Nastasi, with
co-driver Ian James, claimed victory in the opening race of the 2005
Grand-Am Cup season at Daytona International Speedway. The win marks the
first race and first win for Ford Racing's Mustang GT race car built off
the new 2005 Mustang GT that is currently available in Ford dealerships.
Old March 3rd 05, 01:41 AM
Jimmy

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> I am not going to go look-up the raw hp numbers on the cars, but the
> Fourth Gen's (depending on the exact model) used de-tuned Corvette
> Engines (LS-1).

They weren't "de-tuned". They used the same motors. The dyno tests proved
this years ago. I guess no chevy can have more power on paper than the
Corvette. The '01's and 02's benefited from better clutches (from LS6
powered vettes) and slightly more power (better intakes)

>Also just because you get a T/A you may not get the
> right T/A. If your looking for balls out, you'll want one with the
> WS6 package on it.

Nahhh. As long as it's got the LS1 it's good to go. Firebird or T/A. I think
the T/A's are heavier. More show, less go.

> Ask yourself this question as well. Do I want a
> 3-6 year old muscle car that someone else has been running at the
> track or beating the **** out of or do I want I new car that I can
> beat the **** out of first?

They all don't get ths **** beaten out of them. Nobody ever beat the ****
out of my stang or camaro. Including me.

---
"Nobody drives like me. Nobody. I'm doing things in this car, you have no
idea they're going on."
- George Costanza

Old March 3rd 05, 02:37 AM
RSCamaro

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:35:18 -0500, ZombyWoof >
wrote:

<snip>

>I am not going to go look-up the raw hp numbers on the cars, but the
>Fourth Gen's (depending on the exact model) used de-tuned Corvette
>Engines (LS-1). Also just because you get a T/A you may not get the
>right T/A. If your looking for balls out, you'll want one with the
>WS6 package on it. Ask yourself this question as well. Do I want a
>3-6 year old muscle car that someone else has been running at the
>track or beating the **** out of or do I want I new car that I can
>beat the **** out of first?

In the last 6 months I've seen I think 4 unsold CamBirds. 3- 02' WS6
TransAm Yellow/black convertables and 1- 02 Z28/SS? red/silver. I
looked at two of the T/As one of each transmission type. The sticker
shock was too much for me though. I didn't even go inside to see what
kind of deal they might have had. BTW the widow stickers MSRP was
$40,000.

...Ron
--
68' Camaro RS
88' Firebird Formula
Old March 3rd 05, 02:52 AM
2.3Sleeper

"tony kujawa" > wrote in message

> "ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:35:56 -0500, "tony kujawa"
> > > wrote something wonderfully witty:
> >
> > >14.25-14.50??
> > >
> > >Read this post from the camaro.firebird ng. NO, I'm not trolling, and

> this
> > >guy may be BS'ing, but have any of you seen or run your '05 at the

track?
> > >If I'm going to get smoked by an LS-1, I have no interest in a new GT.

> I'll
> > >go get a 98-02 T/A.
> > >

> > It may be a whole bunch of things. What if the guy's running them
> > didn't know what the hell they were doing? What if it was their first
> > time at the track? Even if they had experience making runs, more then
> > likely this was the first time they have had these particular cars at
> > the track.

> I guess you have a point, but .60-.90sec. off what the mags are runnung

is
> a huge difference.
>

> > I am not going to go look-up the raw hp numbers on the cars, but the
> > Fourth Gen's (depending on the exact model) used de-tuned Corvette
> > Engines (LS-1). Also just because you get a T/A you may not get the
> > right T/A. If your looking for balls out, you'll want one with the
> > WS6 package on it. Ask yourself this question as well. Do I want a
> > 3-6 year old muscle car that someone else has been running at the
> > track or beating the **** out of or do I want I new car that I can
> > beat the **** out of first?
> >

> A regular T/A and Z-28 put out 305, and the WS6 and SS put out 320. Not a
> huge difference, worth a tenth or maybe 2.

I dynoed a brand new WS-6 and made 333 at the wheels and dynoed and brand
new SS and got 331 at the wheels. You aren't far off, but I can't imagine
there being a 11 to 13 horsepower difference between cars.

I have also seen good drivers get mid twelves out of the SS's and high 12's
out of the WS-6's.

Don Manning

Old March 3rd 05, 03:28 AM

tony kujawa wrote:
> 14.25-14.50??

> Read this post from the camaro.firebird ng. NO, I'm not trolling,

and
> this guy may be BS'ing, but have any of you seen or run your '05 at

the
> track? If I'm going to get smoked by an LS-1, I have no interest in a

> new GT. I'll go get a 98-02 T/A.

Tony, here's the story.

A pure *stock* 5-speed car in good air and low elevation should run
high 13's at about 102-3, so a strong running LS1 twin will eat one up.
That said, the new GT Mustangs have computers that are programmed
"very soft." A custom chip REALLY wakes these cars up! Trap speeds
can jump up 5-8 mph. So, here's what you do, buy a new GT, add a
custom chip and give LS1 cars fits, all day long.

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old March 3rd 05, 01:01 PM
tony kujawa

"2.3Sleeper" > wrote in message

> "tony kujawa" > wrote in message
> >
> > "ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> > > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:35:56 -0500, "tony kujawa"

and
> > this

> track?

GT.
> > I'll
> > > >
> > > It may be a whole bunch of things. What if the guy's running them
> > > didn't know what the hell they were doing? What if it was their first
> > > time at the track? Even if they had experience making runs, more then
> > > likely this was the first time they have had these particular cars at
> > > the track.

> > I guess you have a point, but .60-.90sec. off what the mags are runnung

> is
> > a huge difference.
> >

> > > I am not going to go look-up the raw hp numbers on the cars, but the
> > > Fourth Gen's (depending on the exact model) used de-tuned Corvette
> > > Engines (LS-1). Also just because you get a T/A you may not get the
> > > right T/A. If your looking for balls out, you'll want one with the
> > > WS6 package on it. Ask yourself this question as well. Do I want a
> > > 3-6 year old muscle car that someone else has been running at the
> > > track or beating the **** out of or do I want I new car that I can
> > > beat the **** out of first?
> > >

> > A regular T/A and Z-28 put out 305, and the WS6 and SS put out 320. Not

> > huge difference, worth a tenth or maybe 2.

> I dynoed a brand new WS-6 and made 333 at the wheels and dynoed and brand
> new SS and got 331 at the wheels. You aren't far off, but I can't imagine
> there being a 11 to 13 horsepower difference between cars.

No the difference is between the non ram-air cars (Z-28 & T/A) and the
ram-air cars (SS & T/A). Anyway, the LS-1 IS a killer engine regardless.

Old March 3rd 05, 01:03 PM
tony kujawa

"RSCamaro" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:35:18 -0500, ZombyWoof >
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >I am not going to go look-up the raw hp numbers on the cars, but the
> >Fourth Gen's (depending on the exact model) used de-tuned Corvette
> >Engines (LS-1). Also just because you get a T/A you may not get the
> >right T/A. If your looking for balls out, you'll want one with the
> >WS6 package on it. Ask yourself this question as well. Do I want a
> >3-6 year old muscle car that someone else has been running at the
> >track or beating the **** out of or do I want I new car that I can
> >beat the **** out of first?

> In the last 6 months I've seen I think 4 unsold CamBirds. 3- 02' WS6
> TransAm Yellow/black convertables and 1- 02 Z28/SS? red/silver. I
> looked at two of the T/As one of each transmission type. The sticker
> shock was too much for me though. I didn't even go inside to see what
> kind of deal they might have had. BTW the widow stickers MSRP was
> $40,000.
>
> ...Ron

Some of these assholes are asking more for the Ram Air T/A's than the
'vette.

Question for People Who Slow Down and "Let Them In" Usual Suspect Driving 43 February 24th 05 10:27 PM
Slow wiper 2.0L 01 Jetta auto [email protected] VW water cooled 6 February 6th 05 08:11 PM
Since it's slow... Jan VW air cooled 5 November 4th 04 11:34 PM
92 LT1 coupe, slow starting jameson Corvette 36 October 28th 04 10:14 PM