I've got a good one. 88 New Yorker Turbo.

Old March 11th 05, 12:07 AM
ArchTaib

Default I've got a good one. 88 New Yorker Turbo.

i have an '88 new yorker turbo, 200,000 km's... and it stalls. here's the
good part.. it stalls gently.

usually it happens during deceleration, like coming up to a light and i
remove my foot from the pedal... it will idle down and stop. REALLY hard
to start after.. i literally just have to "let it sit for a sec" --then it
starts fine. it will do this as many as 5 times a trip. error codes point to
MAP sensor, but i once got a code for the logic box/MAP interface, code 45 i
think.

replacing the MAP sensor is advisable, i will do that, but are there any
other things i should be considering before i hit the parts yard?

and to finish it off.. a simple list of conditions:

-slightly rough idle with an idle-up, idle-down, idle-up, idle-down pattern.
-engine temp guage rises all the way to the top and goes red before dropping
all the way to the bottom and then rising again to normal temp.
-the slow-down-to-idle effect that is really annoying.

Old March 11th 05, 04:38 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:07:17 GMT, "ArchTaib"
> wrote:

>i have an '88 new yorker turbo, 200,000 km's... and it stalls. here's the
>good part.. it stalls gently.
>
>usually it happens during deceleration, like coming up to a light and i
>remove my foot from the pedal... it will idle down and stop. REALLY hard
>to start after.. i literally just have to "let it sit for a sec" --then it
>starts fine. it will do this as many as 5 times a trip. error codes point to
>MAP sensor, but i once got a code for the logic box/MAP interface, code 45 i
>think.
>
>replacing the MAP sensor is advisable, i will do that, but are there any
>other things i should be considering before i hit the parts yard?
>
>and to finish it off.. a simple list of conditions:
>
>-slightly rough idle with an idle-up, idle-down, idle-up, idle-down pattern.
>-engine temp guage rises all the way to the top and goes red before dropping
>all the way to the bottom and then rising again to normal temp.
>-the slow-down-to-idle effect that is really annoying.

Suspect head gasket or cracked head, due to temperature symptoms -
which would also give the rough idle.
Old March 11th 05, 05:19 AM
ArchTaib

head gasket or cracked head, eh? i'll check both those out. though the
temperature thing seems rather systematic/computer-controlled.. it doesn't
rise fast, nor slow. at regualr intervals under load or idling it climbs
bar-by-bar up to the top, then drops really fast.

but i'll have a look to see what i can find out.

Old March 11th 05, 07:51 AM
ArchTaib

i'm going to check fuel pressure, replace the o2 sensor, replace map sensor,
check timing. that should just about do it. i'm betting on either fuel
pressure or map sensor. anyone else wanna lay down some bets?

Old March 11th 05, 08:11 PM
RK

I'm willing to bet the thermostat is bad as well

RK

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:51:56 GMT, "ArchTaib"

Old March 11th 05, 08:23 PM
maxpower

"ArchTaib" > wrote in message
> i have an '88 new yorker turbo, 200,000 km's... and it stalls. here's

the
> good part.. it stalls gently.
>
> usually it happens during deceleration, like coming up to a light and i
> remove my foot from the pedal... it will idle down and stop. REALLY hard
> to start after.. i literally just have to "let it sit for a sec" --then

it
> starts fine. it will do this as many as 5 times a trip. error codes point

> MAP sensor, but i once got a code for the logic box/MAP interface, code 45

> think.
>
> replacing the MAP sensor is advisable, i will do that, but are there any
> other things i should be considering before i hit the parts yard?
>
> and to finish it off.. a simple list of conditions:
>
> -slightly rough idle with an idle-up, idle-down, idle-up, idle-down

pattern.
> -engine temp guage rises all the way to the top and goes red before

dropping
> all the way to the bottom and then rising again to normal temp.
> -the slow-down-to-idle effect that is really annoying.

The temp flucuation sounds to me like a possible head gasket problem, Does
this flucuation normally occur on start up and then stabalize as you drive
it? Have you been adding any coolant?

Old March 11th 05, 08:24 PM
RK

I'm bettin' the thermostat is bad.

Old March 11th 05, 09:46 PM
ArchTaib

nah the temp problem just does it at random.. sometimes right away,
sometimes not right away..
i know the temp sending unit works to kick the fan in.. cuase the fan
works, and it kicks on to control the normal op temp. but the fan doesn't
come on when it does this temp redline.

i seem to have fixed my code 13.. but now i have a code 12. code 45 hasn't
happened in a couple days.

Old March 11th 05, 11:29 PM
maxpower

Old March 12th 05, 12:38 AM
ArchTaib

no max, no coolant added at all. no oil in the coolant and no coolant in
the antifreeze either hehe