changing trasmission filter/fluid

Old March 15th 05, 05:30 AM
inetquestion

Default changing trasmission filter/fluid

specs: 98 ford explorer, sohc, v6, 4.0

when changing the transmission fluid, is there anyway short of removing
the transmission & torque converter to drain the fluid in there as
well? if so, how do you get fluid back in there?

Tia,

-Inet

Old March 15th 05, 01:25 PM
greenterror

If you want to do it yourself, the best way is to do multiple drain and
fills at weekly intervals, three drain and fills seems to work relatively
well for my car, a V6 Toyota Avalon. Make sure that the fluid is warmed
up, more of it drains out that way, and always measure how much comes out.
You should unbolt the transmission pan and either service/replace the
filter and clean the pan at least for the first drain and fill but if the
fluid is really bad you might do it again before the final fill up.
ALWAYS use a new pan gasket and filter gasket anytime you take the
pan/filter off. I hope this helps, your other option is to take it to the
Dealer/Lube Shop and pay them around $100 to do it, but all they do is open
the transmission cooler lines and drain plug and run fluid through it until
it is clean...Its my opinion that this doesn't completely clean the system
out and costs more than it should. Good Luck!

Old March 15th 05, 02:55 PM
HLS

"inetquestion" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> specs: 98 ford explorer, sohc, v6, 4.0
>
> when changing the transmission fluid, is there anyway short of removing
> the transmission & torque converter to drain the fluid in there as
> well? if so, how do you get fluid back in there?
>
> Tia,
>
> -Inet

Not limited to this vehicle, you seldom get all the old fluid out. Some
older models of torque converters had drain plugs to allow a little more
fluid removal,
but I haven't seen this much lately.

You normally drain the fluid in the pan and replace it, thereby diluting the
old fluid which remained.

You can pay someone to powerflush your transmission, but I don't think it is
too recommendable.

You can flush the transmission yourself if you care to take the time and
effort, by changing the filter and the oil in the pan, then disconnecting
the fluid return line from the radiator, starting the engine, and using the
transmission's pumping function to remove the rest of the fluid. This is a
bit fiddly, can be a little nasty,
and probably is not worth the time spent doing it, but it WILL work.

Old March 15th 05, 06:38 PM
Rudy Hiebert

"inetquestion" > wrote in message alkaboutautos.com>...
> specs: 98 ford explorer, sohc, v6, 4.0
> when changing the transmission fluid, is there anyway short of removing
> the transmission & torque converter to drain the fluid in there as
> well? if so, how do you get fluid back in there?
> Tia,

Yes. A hand pump that fills the transmission while the old stuff runs
out will make a complete change. The color of the new lube will tell
you when the change is done. Change that filter for sure, and think
about using synthetic (www.lubedealer.com/hiebert)
Old March 16th 05, 02:18 AM
Kruse

inetquestion wrote:
> specs: 98 ford explorer, sohc, v6, 4.0
>
> when changing the transmission fluid, is there anyway short of

removing
> the transmission & torque converter to drain the fluid in there as
> well? if so, how do you get fluid back in there?
>
> Tia,
>
> -Inet

I read all the replies and it's actually pretty simple. First, to get
the highest percentage of fluid changed, you need to do a fluid change
with a powerflush machine. But, that is expensive. (Dealer's love this.
It's a great money maker)
BTW, for you who don't know, it's a machine that replaces probably
about 99% of the fluid with new. But, it does not change the filter if
it is dirty. Another poster stated about the plug on a torque
converter. Ford did this for many years, but not anymore. It costs too
much money to drill a hole in the torque converter, thread it, and
screw in a plug at the factory. You could pull a line and let it purge
out as you run it, but the tranny could run dry and that's not too
healthy for it either.
Here's the poor man's way of getting most of the fluid out: Drop the
pan and change the filter. I think getting the filter getting changed
is important and filters do not get changed with a powerflush. Now,
INSTALL A TRANNY PAN DRAIN PLUG. These are available for about $10 at
most part stores. If they don't have it, they can order it. After
everything is installed and oil has been added, you have probably
changed 50% of your oil. After it is full and you let the engine run
awhile, drain it. After you again add oil, you have changed about 75%
of your oil.
With the plug installed, it is now easy to drain the oil in your
transmission. And it's also a lot cheaper than the $150 that your
dealer changes for a powerflush.