R-134A

Old July 11th 05, 03:43 AM
Jim

Default R-134A

What has happened to the skyrocketing prices of R-134a?
Is there an alternative on the horizon and if so, what is
the name and expected release date and expected price?

Old July 11th 05, 06:14 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:43:42 GMT, Jim > wrote:

>What has happened to the skyrocketing prices of R-134a?
>Is there an alternative on the horizon and if so, what is
>the name and expected release date and expected price?

Europe has switched to a different refrigerant and no one over there
makes it anymore so the US is the only remaining large market for 134a
so the supply has gone down and the price has gone up.
Old July 11th 05, 09:46 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:43:42 GMT, Jim > wrote:
>
> >What has happened to the skyrocketing prices of R-134a?
> >Is there an alternative on the horizon and if so, what is
> >the name and expected release date and expected price?
> >

> Europe has switched to a different refrigerant and no one over there
> makes it anymore so the US is the only remaining large market for 134a
> so the supply has gone down and the price has gone up.

Ah, no. Europe doesen't have to switch over to R744 until 2011 And
don't be surprised if at the last minute that gets jettisoned. One of the
biggest problems with R744 is that there's no way to leak detect it
except for using dye. (R744 is basically CO2 and as that's present in
the air already, a leak detector can't tell the difference) And dye is
unacceptable for automotive servicing - people aren't going to put up
with being told to come back to the A/C shop 4-6 times after service
work just to tighten a few fittings.

It also has to be run at thousands of PSI which makes it a real problem
for long term life of flexible lines. And charging it is going to be a
bitch
since your going to have to be buying it in pressure bottles like you
would buy welding gasses.

This is typical Europe tree-hugging. Your not going to see China and
India fool around with this sort of thing for many many years, if ever.
Hell they just barely stopped making stuff with R12 in it.

Here's a good link on this problem:

http://www.macsw.org/pdf/refrig.pdf

The reason there is a shortage is:

1) DuPont had a "production interruption" (rumor is a fire) last year in one
of it's
major R134a production plants and
it shut down production for some time as a result.

2) The worldwide demand for R134a has jumped tremendously because China
and India are converting over to R134a from R12, also in Europe now, most
vehicles are being produced with A/C, a few years ago most didn't come with
A/C from the factory.

3) The refrigerant gas manufacturers didn't project the sudden spike in
demand
and as a result there's no new R134a production facilities coming online in
the
near future.

4) More R134a is being diverted from the auto market (where the margins are
rather thin) to the propellant markets (paint cans, hairspray, etc.) where
the
margins are much bigger.

5) A number of factories that make R134a also can switchover to making
HFC125
and when the prices of those gasses is higher than R134a, they stop
producing R134a
and produce HFC125 until the price of HFC125 comes down and R134a goes up.

HFC125 is used to make R407c, which is the alternative refrigerant for R22
systems, much like R134a is the alternative for R12 systems. Right now
there is
a big push for getting the large systems (like the A/C used in your home)
converted over to R407c because in 2010 manufacturers will be prohibited
from
making R22 systems.

6) There is significant price gouging in the retail market driven mainly by
the lack of information out there, also people are panicing and are hoarding
the stuff right now.

See http://www.dupont.com/suva/na/usa/index.html for more info.

The high prices will likely continue until 2006.

Ted

Old July 11th 05, 08:10 PM

hog wash
R134a was 7 bucks a can before summer and now its 14 bucks a
can
all do to the demand cuz of summer another ploy by the big guys!!!!!!

Old July 11th 05, 10:53 PM
Shep

Great info Ted!!

Old July 17th 05, 02:46 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:46:08 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:43:42 GMT, Jim > wrote:
>>
>> >What has happened to the skyrocketing prices of R-134a?
>> >Is there an alternative on the horizon and if so, what is
>> >the name and expected release date and expected price?
>> >

>> Europe has switched to a different refrigerant and no one over there
>> makes it anymore so the US is the only remaining large market for 134a
>> so the supply has gone down and the price has gone up.

>Ah, no.

My info was what was printed in Motor Magazine last month. They said
the euro factories stopped making 134 leaving only the US factories..
Supply and Demand. Same demand, less supply, higher price.

Old July 18th 05, 09:43 PM
Jim

Thanks for the input.

Surely, the price will go down on r-134a when Dupont's
Corpus Christie unit comes back on line.

Meanwhile, prices on a 30 lb. jug of it are around $250.00!
Ridiculous.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:46:55 -0700, Ashton Crusher
> wrote:

"On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:46:08 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:
"
">
">"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
. ..
">> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:43:42 GMT, Jim
> wrote:
">>
">> >What has happened to the skyrocketing prices of R-134a?
">> >Is there an alternative on the horizon and if so, what
is
">> >the name and expected release date and expected price?
">> >
">>

Old July 19th 05, 05:51 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:43:09 GMT, Jim > wrote:

>Thanks for the input.
>
>Surely, the price will go down on r-134a when Dupont's
>Corpus Christie unit comes back on line.
>
>Meanwhile, prices on a 30 lb. jug of it are around $250.00!
>Ridiculous.

Huh? That's only $8 a pound. That's about 50% higher then what it
was selling for 5 years ago (on a per can at AutoZone price) and
that's without accounting for inflation.

Old July 20th 05, 02:19 AM
Kevin Bottorff

try 400 bucks a 30 pounder keg. KB

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:43:09 GMT, Jim > wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the input.
>>
>>Surely, the price will go down on r-134a when Dupont's
>>Corpus Christie unit comes back on line.
>>
>>Meanwhile, prices on a 30 lb. jug of it are around $250.00!
>>Ridiculous.
>>

> Huh? That's only $8 a pound. That's about 50% higher then what it
> was selling for 5 years ago (on a per can at AutoZone price) and
> that's without accounting for inflation.
>

>>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:46:55 -0700, Ashton Crusher
> wrote:
>>
>>"On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:46:08 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:
>>"
>>">
m...

--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
Old July 20th 05, 03:17 AM
Z.Z.

Kevin Bottorff wrote:

> try 400 bucks a 30 pounder keg. KB

My local Sam's Club has 30 lb cylinders of R-134a for $235, plus or minus,
or did have when I was there last weekend...

Now, R-12 goes for around $400/cylinder, maybe more...I haven't checked
eBay for a while...

134a Refrigerant Rich Hampel Jeep 1090 August 23rd 05 06:43 AM
134A refridgerant Chad Gore Jeep 0 June 11th 05 05:22 PM
Freeze-12 or 134a Jimmy Technology 6 June 10th 05 04:08 PM
Considering early 5-series Touring Kevin Rhodes BMW 2 March 4th 05 08:15 PM
A/C compressor seized Tim Shoppa Saturn 4 July 20th 04 01:07 PM