Tool question

Old July 11th 05, 07:16 PM
Trey

Default Tool question

I am working on filling in my tool collection with some nice, high end (high
quality) tools. I have found Wiha for most of the precision hand tools.
However, I am having trouble locating a German company that makes socket
sets and wrenches. A friend of mine told me there was an Italian company
that makes socket sets, but he did not know the name.
Does anyone know of such companies/products?

Old July 11th 05, 08:15 PM
bfd

You want "high end" sockets? Wiha makes good stuff, especially screw
drivers. Not sure about their sockets. There are alot of other
companies that make "high end" sockets, Check out Snap-on, MAC,
Armstrong, Matco, and Facom to name a few. Heck, even Craftsmans are
good, especially their professional level.

I'm not aware of any "italian company" that makes socket. However,
Ferrari, a small italian company, uses Facom tools, which btw is
French, is that high end enough? For more, see he

http://www.ultimategarage.com/facfer.html

If you don't want to spend the big bucks for a name, check out Snap on,
its sockets are arguably the best.....

Old July 11th 05, 08:33 PM
Trey

"bfd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You want "high end" sockets? Wiha makes good stuff, especially screw
> drivers. Not sure about their sockets. There are alot of other
> companies that make "high end" sockets, Check out Snap-on, MAC,
> Armstrong, Matco, and Facom to name a few. Heck, even Craftsmans are
> good, especially their professional level.
>
> I'm not aware of any "italian company" that makes socket. However,
> Ferrari, a small italian company, uses Facom tools, which btw is
> French, is that high end enough? For more, see he
>
> http://www.ultimategarage.com/facfer.html
>
> If you don't want to spend the big bucks for a name, check out Snap on,
> its sockets are arguably the best.....

I have a set of Craftsman Sockets... Guess I will just take advantage of the
life warranty on them. Its just I have seen a lot of ratchets fall apart
when pushing them hard. My Uncle works for Snap-on, I will have to see if he
can get me a deal...
What about air tools? like an impact wrench? Stick with Craftsman/Snap-on
there too?
As for that link, that is a NICE looking tool set, but I want tools that I
would be willing to use, not a show piece. That set is a little too rich for
me to use in the garage.

Old July 11th 05, 10:19 PM
bfd

Yow, if your "uncle" works for Snapon, your search is over. If you can
get some "employee discount", then JUST DO IT!!!!

Hey, if the majority of pros in the US use Snap-on, and note they're
using it day in and day out; why bother with the fancy euro stuff?

A couple of good things about Craftsmansockets - you can get them
replaced at *any* Sears AND they have the new easy-to-read ones that
makes finding the one you need fast and easy, especially as you get
older!

Old July 11th 05, 10:30 PM
Trey

"bfd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yow, if your "uncle" works for Snapon, your search is over. If you can
> get some "employee discount", then JUST DO IT!!!!
>
> Hey, if the majority of pros in the US use Snap-on, and note they're
> using it day in and day out; why bother with the fancy euro stuff?
>
> A couple of good things about Craftsmansockets - you can get them
> replaced at *any* Sears AND they have the new easy-to-read ones that
> makes finding the one you need fast and easy, especially as you get
> older!

They use cheap chrome though. If you have any tape on the socket for what
ever reason, it peals the chrome right off! Guess how I figured that one
out.
The Laser etching is nice though.

Old July 11th 05, 10:54 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Trey" > wrote in message

> "bfd" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > You want "high end" sockets? Wiha makes good stuff, especially screw
> > drivers. Not sure about their sockets. There are alot of other
> > companies that make "high end" sockets, Check out Snap-on, MAC,
> > Armstrong, Matco, and Facom to name a few. Heck, even Craftsmans are
> > good, especially their professional level.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any "italian company" that makes socket. However,
> > Ferrari, a small italian company, uses Facom tools, which btw is
> > French, is that high end enough? For more, see he
> >
> > http://www.ultimategarage.com/facfer.html
> >
> > If you don't want to spend the big bucks for a name, check out Snap on,
> > its sockets are arguably the best.....
> >

> I have a set of Craftsman Sockets... Guess I will just take advantage of

the
> life warranty on them. Its just I have seen a lot of ratchets fall apart
> when pushing them hard. My Uncle works for Snap-on, I will have to see if

he
> can get me a deal...
> What about air tools? like an impact wrench? Stick with Craftsman/Snap-on
> there too?
> As for that link, that is a NICE looking tool set, but I want tools that I
> would be willing to use, not a show piece. That set is a little too rich

for
> me to use in the garage.

I have never managed to break a Craftsman tool, but the one that did break
at our house was replaced, no questions asked. I don't remember what
happened to the tool, but my instinct is that a rachet handle was being used
as a hammer and simply couldn't take the abuse anymore.

If you can get Craftsman, you are getting about as good as you can get. You
said your uncle is an inside track to SnapOn, I wouldn't hesitate to work
him over for your additions to the collection. I have never seen a SnapOn
tool that I wouldn't want to own, with the exception of the snap on tool
that Billie Jean King uses.

Old July 11th 05, 10:55 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Trey" > wrote in message

> "bfd" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Yow, if your "uncle" works for Snapon, your search is over. If you can
> > get some "employee discount", then JUST DO IT!!!!
> >
> > Hey, if the majority of pros in the US use Snap-on, and note they're
> > using it day in and day out; why bother with the fancy euro stuff?
> >
> > A couple of good things about Craftsmansockets - you can get them
> > replaced at *any* Sears AND they have the new easy-to-read ones that
> > makes finding the one you need fast and easy, especially as you get
> > older!
> >

> They use cheap chrome though. If you have any tape on the socket for what
> ever reason, it peals the chrome right off! Guess how I figured that one
> out.
> The Laser etching is nice though.

Peeliing chrome is a covered defect. Tak it back.

Old July 11th 05, 11:28 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
bfd > wrote:
> Hey, if the majority of pros in the US use Snap-on, and note they're
> using it day in and day out; why bother with the fancy euro stuff?

Funnily, Snap On is the snob make in the UK. Very over priced - but they
do good credit terms and discount as they direct sell to the garage trade
so keep their customers that way.

We have a large parts and accessory chain called Halfords, and their pro
range is very good - and beautifully finished. Not that what a tool looks
like has much bearing on its strength.

It's rumoured to be made by Facom, who also now own Britool.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 12th 05, 12:24 AM
Mike G

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> If you can get Craftsman, you are getting about as good as you can get.

You
> said your uncle is an inside track to SnapOn, I wouldn't hesitate to work
> him over for your additions to the collection. I have never seen a SnapOn
> tool that I wouldn't want to own, with the exception of the snap on tool
> that Billie Jean King uses.

Their hexagon keys are certainly not good quality. Not a patch on those made
by Unbrako or Allen.
Mike.

Old July 12th 05, 12:22 PM
Bob Kegel