Audi S4 or BMW M3?

Old July 10th 05, 03:32 PM
TonyK

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message

> "TonyK" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change
> >> though
> >> and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a

very
> >> nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
> >>
> >> Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
> >> driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
> >> aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
> >>
> >> But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose
> >> that's
> >> why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out

> > until
> >> 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if the
> >> S4
> >> is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
> >>
> >> Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Daz
> >>

> > FWIW heres my thoughts, I have an M3 and I test drove an S4 some time
> > back.
> >
> > Seen a few old style 03/4 RS6's etc around quite cheap and Audi website
> > has
> > a new RS4 and S4 on it.
> >
> > BMW, M3 residuals will take a knock when date for new one confirmed
> > although
> > this is (according to most) at least 12-18 month away. General feeling

on
> > M3
> > boards is they have already taken a slight knock with the E90 being
> > launched.
> >
> > As you have discovered Audi is not as involving to drive but it is a

more
> > relaxed and possibly refined drive. M3 can be a bit harsh but depends

what
> > you want.
> >
> > Looks... IMO Audi doesn't look as sporty or dynamic. It looks like a
> > cruiser
> > where as M3 is a bit more agressive. But BMW looks are diluted by the
> > number
> > of 318 Sports with 18" alloys. M3 doesn't look any different to to
> > uneducated.
> >
> > Exclusivity... I live in the back of beyond yet I saw 3 other M3 cabs
> > yesterday, didn't see and Audi S4.
> >
> > Performance... BMW is quicker but not*that* much on the road plus V8 is

> > bit lazier in its drive to the BMWs racier 6. Top Gear did a good
> > comparison
> > and the S4 came out a bit quicker round the track but the M3 was quicker
> > in
> > a straight line. They chose the M3 overall because they liked it

hooligan
> > approch with DSC off. Audis aren't very good hooligans.
> >
> > I think that the S4 sits somewhere between the 330 and the M3, the RS4

is
> > between an M3 and a CSL. Its difficult to make an even comparison. I'd

say
> > an M3 is aimed at a 30 something work-hard, play-hard. The S4 is for the
> > 30
> > something whos workd-hard and played-hard and needs a rest.
> >
> > I can't see BMW doing an M3/M4 tourer as its not part of the M heritage

so
> > my next car is likely to be an RS4 or RS6 Avant due to growing kids etc
> > plus
> > I'm reaching the "need a rest" stage ;-)
> >

> You should write for a magazine, excellent comparison, thanks!!!
>
> I think I'm at the work-hard, play-hard stage, M3 for me!!
>
> I know the value will drop but I'd hope it would still be a decent deposit
> on a new M3 when they start taking orders, in fact I might see if they'll
> give me a guaranteed value...
>
> Thanks
>
> Daz

As long as your ready for a financial kick in the goolies at trade in go fo
it. Like you say though, a deposit on an E90 may help but a good low mileage
car is the best seller.

Before you buy have a look at www.bm3w.co.uk for a lot of UK support and
tips on buying an M3 and what to expect in the way of "service bulletins".

Old July 11th 05, 03:45 PM
Ross Garrett

"Jack Dotson" > wrote in message

> Have you looked at the 05 Infinity G35 coupe? I've been looking real hard
> for the past several months and I've just about decided this is the new
> standard. Driving performance right there with the BMW,more power
> and torque,

When exactly did the G35 get more power, torque and performance than either
the M3 or S4?

Old July 11th 05, 11:26 PM
DaLoverhino

Daz wrote:
> I think I'm at the work-hard, play-hard stage, M3 for me!!

Well if you live by this motto, why bother with an M3? To me, they
look cheap; like a giant plastic toy. Hardly something to drive around
in when you "play hard" Why not go with an M5, M6, or better... why
not go with a Ferrari?

What about one of these:

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/05070...12-biturbo.php

Now, there's a good definition of "work hard, play hard stage", since
you are in this stage, I think these cars fit better. And with that
crazy torque coming in less than 2000 rpm on that Brabus, your neck can
also live up to your claim.

Old July 13th 05, 07:48 PM
Princess Morgiah

"Jack Dotson" > wrote in message
.. .
<snip>
> And, when in the world is BMW going
> to recognize all of their cars should have leather seats as standard
> equipment?
>
> Just some food for thought!

(Off topic, perhaps, but I'd still like to know...)

Food for thought indeed - but would you please be so kind as to explain why
you would like to have leather seats as standard? I for one would pay extra
to remove them, I never understood why people would buy leather seats.

Just curious to why you would want them - and whether or not the majority of
the owners buy leather (any figures, anyone?).

Princess Morgiah

Old July 13th 05, 07:51 PM
Daz

"DaLoverhino" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Daz wrote:
>> I think I'm at the work-hard, play-hard stage, M3 for me!!

> Well if you live by this motto, why bother with an M3? To me, they
> look cheap; like a giant plastic toy. Hardly something to drive around
> in when you "play hard" Why not go with an M5, M6, or better... why
> not go with a Ferrari?
>
> What about one of these:
>
> http://www.tuningnews.net/news/05070...12-biturbo.php
>
> Now, there's a good definition of "work hard, play hard stage", since
> you are in this stage, I think these cars fit better. And with that
> crazy torque coming in less than 2000 rpm on that Brabus, your neck can
> also live up to your claim.

Woah! I work hard but not that hard!!!

I'd love and M5, but don't fancy the 2 year wait...

Old July 13th 05, 09:06 PM
Pete

"Princess Morgiah" wrote
> Food for thought indeed - but would you please be so kind as to explain
> why
> you would like to have leather seats as standard? I for one would pay
> extra
> to remove them, I never understood why people would buy leather seats.

Leather is easier to clean, so if you have small kids or if you let people
eat/drink in your car, then the cleanup process may be easier.

But I'm with you - I prefer cloth. It grips your body better, and it also
doesn't feel as hot/cold in hot/cold weather.

Cheers,

Pete

Old July 14th 05, 12:04 AM
Poseur

"Pete" > wrote in
:

> "Princess Morgiah" wrote
>> Food for thought indeed - but would you please be so kind
>> as to explain why
>> you would like to have leather seats as standard? I for
>> one would pay extra
>> to remove them, I never understood why people would buy
>> leather seats.

I didn't really want the leather but I would have had to special
order my 330 to get one without.
However...I was kinda glad I had them when some kid puked in the
backseat.

--
Poseur
"That's just kooky talk." --Kramer
Old July 14th 05, 01:02 PM
Andrew W. Hill

> Food for thought indeed - but would you please be so kind as to explain why
> you would like to have leather seats as standard? I for one would pay extra
> to remove them, I never understood why people would buy leather seats.

I personally prefer the feel of cloth to leather, and in a street
application I would rather have it. For stuff like offroading, I prefer
leather just because it's easy to clean. I had velour seats in my '73
2002, and those would have to be my alltime favorite, at least as far as
upholstery goes.

Andrew
Old July 14th 05, 02:24 PM
Somebody

"Andrew W. Hill" > wrote in message
> > Food for thought indeed - but would you please be so kind as to explain

why
> > you would like to have leather seats as standard? I for one would pay

extra
> > to remove them, I never understood why people would buy leather seats.

> I personally prefer the feel of cloth to leather, and in a street
> application I would rather have it. For stuff like offroading, I prefer
> leather just because it's easy to clean. I had velour seats in my '73
> 2002, and those would have to be my alltime favorite, at least as far as
> upholstery goes.
>
> Andrew

I've sat on every kind of leather around, and I still prefer good cloth
seats. Leatherette or vinyl simply being an abomination -- none of the
virtues of cloth, but not as good as leather. Cloth is cooler in the
summer, warmer in the winter, and grips you better in the corners. Why
modern luxury cars don't even offer it as an option I can't figuure out...
I'd pay to upgrade from leatherette to good cloth...

-Russ.

Old July 14th 05, 09:23 PM
Jack Dotson

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "Jack Dotson" wrote
>> Have you looked at the 05 Infinity G35 coupe? I've been looking real
>> hard for the past several months and I've just about decided this is the
>> new standard. Driving performance right there with the BMW, more power
>> and torque,

> More power than M3??? What are you talking about???
>
> Pete

Whoops, should have been more clear. I was speaking if reference to an
alternative to the 330Ci he's getting rid of, not the M3.

Audi questions from a perspective buyer K. Daver Audi 22 March 13th 05 01:44 PM
Leased A Lemon Audi A6? Richard Periut Audi 0 February 1st 05 03:59 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 09:28 AM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM