Alfa or BMW ?

Old April 14th 06, 08:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Alfa or BMW ?

Hi,

I'm considering buying me a real sports car.

My heart says Alfa, but my college says BMW.

I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.

Am I correct?

:-D

Old April 14th 06, 08:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering buying me a real sports car.

Real sport's car? M3 CSL, but you're stuck with used because they don't make
the anymore (at this moment).
Otherwise think about Mclaren F1, Paganini Zonda, CGT...

--
It's a good idea to drive a little Japanese/Ford/whatever shopping
machine once a year to remind yourself why you're in a BMW for the

Old April 14th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering buying me a real sports car.
>
> My heart says Alfa, but my college says BMW.
>
> I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.
>
> Am I correct?

Yeah you're spot on, Berry. So, are you looking for a date or something?

--
-Fred W
Old April 14th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:15:43 +0200, "BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee"
> wrote:

>I'm considering buying me a real sports car.
>
>My heart says Alfa, but my college says BMW.
>
>I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.
>
>Am I correct?

Anyone who can ask that question is much too girly to own an Alfa. Stick to your
Ka.

-- Larry (Three Alfas, one Bimmer)

Old April 14th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:15:43 +0200, "BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee"
> wrote:

>I'm considering buying me a real sports car.
>
>My heart says Alfa, but my college says BMW.
>
>I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.

I would venture to say that a real sports car is neither a BMW or an
Alfa. That's not to say that there aren't very tasty vehicles to be
had from either of those camps though.

A real sports car is something purpose-built, like a Ferrari for
example. It's not a mass market car platform that's had some tuning
bits and go-faster stripes added. Here's the acid test: is the car a
purpose-built machine, or is it a gussied up version of a mass-market
grocery-getter. Look at it that way and it's simple to see what's
what.

Just don't expect a brake job on one of those to cost the same as a
brake job on a BMW. See posts passim. Ask Fred...
--
Dan.
Old April 15th 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee" wrote
> I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.

And newsgroups are for trolls, apparently.

Pete

Old April 15th 06, 12:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dean Dark wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:15:43 +0200, "BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee"
> > wrote:
>

>>I'm considering buying me a real sports car.
>>
>>My heart says Alfa, but my college says BMW.
>>
>>I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.

> I would venture to say that a real sports car is neither a BMW or an
> Alfa. That's not to say that there aren't very tasty vehicles to be
> had from either of those camps though.
>
> A real sports car is something purpose-built, like a Ferrari for
> example. It's not a mass market car platform that's had some tuning
> bits and go-faster stripes added. Here's the acid test: is the car a
> purpose-built machine, or is it a gussied up version of a mass-market
> grocery-getter. Look at it that way and it's simple to see what's
> what.
>
> Just don't expect a brake job on one of those to cost the same as a
> brake job on a BMW. See posts passim. Ask Fred...

Well, since my name has been tossed out there, I'll weigh in on this
silly question. Firstly, some Alfas definitely do qualify as "sports
cars" IMO. A sports car, in my mind, is epitomized by the likes of
Triumphs, MGBs, Austins, etc. Bare-bone, light-weight, low horsepower,
2 seater (usually) roadsters. A very raw, grass-roots driving
experience. They are purpose designed for tossing around on the track
by weekend warriors without getting the driver in over his head. IOW,
the exact opposite of a modern BMW. Certainly the exotics like Ferraris
and Lambos have like-wise purposes (except for the getting the driver in
over his head part...) but they are, due to the magnificent price tags
and low production, exotica. And yes, it costs more for parts for
exotic sports cars than it does for other more mundane transports.

As to which car the OP should buy, I cannot help since we do not see
Alfas here in the US anymore. The reputation they had when they were
around was that of a slightly classier Fiat.

--
-Fred W
Old April 15th 06, 12:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:18:40 -0400, Fred W
> wrote:

>As to which car the OP should buy, I cannot help since we do not see
>Alfas here in the US anymore. The reputation they had when they were
>around was that of a slightly classier Fiat.

May's _Car and Driver_ says that "Alfa Romeo is poised to reenter the
U.S. market in 2008 with (this) V-6-powered 260-hp convertible as well
as a two-door hardtop version known as the Brera... ...The Spider is
the soft-top version of the delightful Brera coupe that is already on
sale in Europe..."

Whatever all that means as far as actually *seeing* Alfas again in the
YooEss, though...
--
Dan.
Old April 15th 06, 03:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

The best Alfas are those owned by someone else. When I am in Italy I try to
hire Alfas. Great to look at, great to drive. Had 147s for two years
running (1.9 l turbodiesel).

Now the new 159 got a good review in the UK and it appears to be better
built than before.

However, if money matters to you, go for the BMW...

DAS

---

Old April 16th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee" > wrote in news:e1osd0$5ho$1
@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering buying me a real sports car.
>
> My heart says Alfa, but my college says BMW.
>
> I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.
>
> Am I correct?
>

>:-D

an old one? The spider or even better the GTV kick butt. Get like this
1970 Alfa Romeo GTA 1300 Junior

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...php?carno=4917

now thats a sports car