Aquarium air-pumps - which are best?

Old February 11th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.aquaria,rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Default Aquarium air-pumps - which are best?

Yup, duct tape works too. I was at a friends house and I took a piece of
duct tape and taped the airpump in a loop (made a cradle for it) inside
the stand's cabinet. Worked like a charm, but I told them it was just a
quick & dirty fix, and they could make it look a little neater when it
came apart. Months later, that duct tape was still hanging in there (it
was a small airpump).
--
www.NetMax.tk

"CanadianCray" wrote in message
.. .
LOL funny the little tricks we try. I have actually hung the air pumps
with elastic bands. Really makes them quite.

"AlanM" wrote in message
I have set noisy air pumps on a sponge - it made a huge difference.

On 2/9/06 10:22 AM, in article , "Richard
Sexton" wrote:

In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
I just remembered the oher failure mode that's delamination of the
plates the windings go around. They make a heckuva buzzing racket
when this happens and it's new pump time. Heat seems to do this.
A hot pump is a dead pump.
==================
How do you keep them "cool" when a normal home is around 75F? What
about
outside where they have to run and it's in the mid 90s for several
months at
a time? What would make them run *too hot?* I don't think many
people
would be foolish enough to cover one with a cloth.

I stuffed one inside a pillow once to shut it up. Didn't work so good
to say the least.

Fans keep things cool.

Old February 11th 06, 04:25 PM posted to alt.aquaria,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

In article ,
AlanM wrote:

On 2/10/06 1:15 PM, in article
, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

======================
Yes, that's pretty much what I'm picturing as well but you still have the
airstones to deal with as if they start to clog there would still be back
pressure in the plenum to some degree unless it has a pressure-relief valve
somewhat like what's on a pressure-cooker. It seem the safest way to use
these pumps for the longest life is not use anything on the end of the hose
that can possibly clog or block the air flow. One person recommend one of
those wands or air-wall diffusers.

I'm reluctant to add a pressure relief valve - there's noise to escaping
air. I have never used a wand or air wall diffuser, but I'm guessing that
they don't clog. If if that's right, then if one of those wands or air wall
diffusers was attached to the plenum, that would relieve the any pressure
created by clogged airstones without adding the noise of escaping air.

Stick a pipe cleaner in the bleed off. It muffles the noise. Or run ther
bleed off via a piece of airline tubing through the floor into a place
where nobody will hear it. Thenoise comes out of the end of the tubing.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old February 11th 06, 06:00 PM posted to alt.aquaria,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

They make an air pump muffler, that kills the noise...$1.99 or less.
It can be added to suction sides or pressure sides and works extremely
well.

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:25:47 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article ,
AlanM wrote:

On 2/10/06 1:15 PM, in article
, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

======================
[...]

\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old February 11th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Luft pumps by Coralife are by far the best bang for the buck
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old February 11th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

In article ,
~Roy wrote:
Luft pumps by Coralife are by far the best bang for the buck

Tetra makes Luft pumps.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old February 11th 06, 10:44 PM posted to alt.aquaria,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"AlanM" wrote in message

On 2/10/06 1:15 PM, in article
, "Koi-Lo"

======================

===========================
I'm reluctant to add a pressure relief valve - there's noise to escaping
air. I have never used a wand or air wall diffuser, but I'm guessing that
they don't clog. If if that's right, then if one of those wands or air
wall
diffusers was attached to the plenum, that would relieve the any pressure
created by clogged airstones without adding the noise of escaping air.

===========================
I think I'll bypass plenums and go for something that can't clog. First I
don't have a pic of one to go by, and secondly I'd have to make one for each
set of tanks. I would love to find a way to replace them (air-pump driven
aeration) altogether in the smaller tanks. The powerheads are doing a great
job in the 55s, but would be "too much" in the 10g and smaller tanks, even
the smaller powerheads.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old February 11th 06, 10:55 PM posted to alt.aquaria,rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

In , on 02/10/06
at 05:49 PM, AlanM said:

I have set noisy air pumps on a sponge - it made a huge difference.

I can second that. Some pumps stay noisy even on a sponge (those go right
back to the LFS), but I've found that most noisy pumps I have were able to
be silenced by placing them on a sponge. My aquarium is in my bedroom, so
noisy pumps are not welcome.

Even on a sponge, the vibration of the pump sometimes moves it a little
bit and it gets noisy again, but repositioning it quiets things back down.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old February 12th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.aquaria,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

On 2/11/06 1:44 PM, in article
, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

===========================
I think I'll bypass plenums and go for something that can't clog. First I
don't have a pic of one to go by, and secondly I'd have to make one for each
set of tanks. I would love to find a way to replace them (air-pump driven
aeration) altogether in the smaller tanks. The powerheads are doing a great
job in the 55s, but would be "too much" in the 10g and smaller tanks, even
the smaller powerheads.

I'll make one and post some pictures ;-)

AM

Old February 12th 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.aquaria,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Alan Myers" wrote in message

On 2/11/06 1:44 PM, in article
, "Koi-Lo"

=========================
I'll make one and post some pictures ;-)

AM

=========================
I would really appreciate that. One pic is worth a few thousand words.
:-))

Oh, and I did get ONE airpump fixed this morning. The flappers were shot on
an Elete803 although the diaphragm (I didn't have one to fit it) was still
in good condition. I played with the arm as suggested here - and finally
got it working.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58

Aquarium pumps, UVs, ect. cstrohmeyer Marketplace 0 January 21st 06 06:24 PM
The Successful Aquarium: A Beginners Guide AuctionCashOnline.com General 1 February 11th 05 03:27 AM
Doctor Aquarium Software Rich R Reefs 0 February 1st 05 08:27 PM
Throttle a pump harmful? Ross Bagley Reefs 38 March 11th 04 06:11 PM
Chat Week 2003 - Meet Julian Sprung, Martin Moe, Kevin Kohen, TomLang, more... Jeff Barringer General 0 December 7th 03 06:50 PM