PING: Katmandu - tops

Old December 19th 04, 12:54 PM
SVTKate

Default PING: Katmandu - tops

Ok, try this.
Check your figures.
See what he has allowed you for the top and the labor.
The insurance company SHOULD cover the price of labor, Period.
As far as the top, find out what the formula is for depreciation. If it's
(lets say) 80% than they should listen to you when you tell them that the
top is not available at the price they have given you and that it needs to
be "adjusted". Submit three estimates to them and argue.

Find out where the adjuster got HIS figures. They are based on something,
even if it's just their book. If you have real life estimates, they are
obliged to pay attention. The ONLY depreciation you should be taking is on
the parts alone. Labor should be a full ride. Did he quote an OEM top? Well,
you have the right to request OEM parts. (at least in many parts of the
country) An OEM top and rear curtain is MUCH more expensive than
aftermarket. You may try for OEM and then when you get paid for that, then
get the aftermarket.
If the adjuster bows his neck, which they WILL do, be firm. Tell him that he
needs to send you to a shop that can and will do the work for the price that
he has quoted. REMEMBER the adjusters are there to save the insurance
company money, not YOU.

Kate

Old December 25th 04, 01:35 AM
Katmandu

Thanks for your input Kate. I've been busy as snot and haven't looked at
RAMFM for awhile.

I did get a check for $685.xx for the Top/Glass window + Labor.

The adjusted did deduct 40% for age/condition of the my old top. I noticed
on the first settlement figure they quoted me WAS for 40% off the total
INCLUDING the Labor. I threw the BS flag at them and say No Way!. The labor
cost will NOT be deducted 40%. Amazing how the quickly agreed with me and
raised the settlement another $145!!

I was pretty satisfied with $685 since my original top did have previous
wear damaged and needed to be replaced anyhow. Where I screwed up was only
submitting ONE estimate. Stupid me!!! The estimate I submitted was actually
the LOWEST cost that I found (after I called around).

The Highest estimate (after I submitted the original one) was for $1100 and
the middle one was for $975. The original estimate I submitted was for $885.

Now I'm gonna wait until Spring time to have the top replaced. Sadly, my 89
Vert is sitting outside (under a car cover of course) since my garage
recently got filled up with unused furniture. I need to have a garage
sale, but this is the worst time of the year for one of those!

We (the Dayton, Ohio area) just got nailed with 21" of snow here the last
couple of days and my Mustang is buried right now!! Snow SUCKS !!!

My wife and I decided that we are moving BACK down to Montgomery, AL !
Unfortunately, we have to wait about (2) years for her to finish class work
towards her P.C.C. Licensure.

Well gotta get some sleep before work tonight! (I work 3rd Shift at the
Dayton VA Medical Center).

Merry Christmas to ya'all !!

-ERIC

"SVTKate" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Ok, try this.
> Check your figures.
> See what he has allowed you for the top and the labor.
> The insurance company SHOULD cover the price of labor, Period.
> As far as the top, find out what the formula is for depreciation. If it's
> (lets say) 80% than they should listen to you when you tell them that the
> top is not available at the price they have given you and that it needs to
> be "adjusted". Submit three estimates to them and argue.
>
> Find out where the adjuster got HIS figures. They are based on something,
> even if it's just their book. If you have real life estimates, they are
> obliged to pay attention. The ONLY depreciation you should be taking is on
> the parts alone. Labor should be a full ride. Did he quote an OEM top?

Well,
> you have the right to request OEM parts. (at least in many parts of the
> country) An OEM top and rear curtain is MUCH more expensive than
> aftermarket. You may try for OEM and then when you get paid for that, then
> get the aftermarket.
> If the adjuster bows his neck, which they WILL do, be firm. Tell him that

he
> needs to send you to a shop that can and will do the work for the price

that
> he has quoted. REMEMBER the adjusters are there to save the insurance
> company money, not YOU.
>

> Kate
>
> "Katmandu" > wrote in message
> | Dunno..... Must be my area or something cause $882 was the lowest

estimate
> | I got! (I found out AFTER the insurance adjuster stopped by).
> |
> | The other (2) estimates where for $975 and $1100 !
> |
> | Lowest price I found on a top (WITH the back window/curtain) was around
> | $365. Yea, the top ALONE was only around $200.
> |

> | -ERIC

Anyone in Western WA want to swap tops Tim Mason Jeep 2 January 20th 05 01:21 AM
ping vs knock picaza Mazda 1 September 1st 04 01:04 AM
ping Teutonic The Bald Ass Prairie Farm Audi 0 August 2nd 04 07:43 PM
1980 Red Corvette automatic T tops for sale F1-Help.com Antique cars 0 April 22nd 04 04:53 AM