What brand of synthetic oil for 2000 Passat 1.8T ?

Old September 28th 04, 07:28 PM
Dave

Default What brand of synthetic oil for 2000 Passat 1.8T ?

What brand of synthetic oil for 2000 Passat 1.8T ?
Dealer says I need to switch to synthetic oil.
What brand do I get and where can I buy it?
Price at dealer is to much.

Thanks

Old September 28th 04, 08:24 PM
Brian Running

> What brand of synthetic oil for 2000 Passat 1.8T ?
> Dealer says I need to switch to synthetic oil.
> What brand do I get and where can I buy it?
> Price at dealer is to much.

Mobil 1 0W-40, on sale right now at Farm & Fleet for $3.99 per quart. Went
on sale right after I bought it for $4.99 per quart.

Old September 28th 04, 10:48 PM
Woodchuck

just about any name brand synthetic will do. Our dealer charges $5.45/qt for
VW/Castrol. K-mart, Wal-Mart, etc Mobil 1 goes for $4 per quart. Just ask
your dealer how much a new engine costs... then compare that to the price of
4 quarts of oil?

Old September 29th 04, 07:24 AM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Dave > wrote:
>What brand of synthetic oil for 2000 Passat 1.8T ?
>Dealer says I need to switch to synthetic oil.
>What brand do I get and where can I buy it?

Anything with the VW 502.00 rating. You are most likely to find it
on 5W-40 or 0W-40 oils; a few 5W-30 oils have it but most 5W-30 oils
do not have it.
Timothy J. Lee
Old September 29th 04, 01:37 PM
Brian Running

> >What brand of synthetic oil for 2000 Passat 1.8T ?
> >Dealer says I need to switch to synthetic oil.
> >What brand do I get and where can I buy it?

> Anything with the VW 502.00 rating. You are most likely to find it
> on 5W-40 or 0W-40 oils; a few 5W-30 oils have it but most 5W-30 oils
> do not have it.

From my casual observations, it seems that VW gives its 502.00 rating to the
true 100% synthetic oils, and not to the quasi-synthetics such as Castrol
Syntec. Mobil 1 0W-40 is most widely-available 100% true synthetic oil with
the 502.00 rating.

Old September 29th 04, 02:20 PM
Brian Running

> Mobil 1 0W-40 is most widely-available 100% true synthetic oil with
> the 502.00 rating.

In the US, that is.

Old September 29th 04, 03:39 PM
Brian Running

> Castrol Syntec 5W-40 has the VW 502.00 rating, but Castrol Syntec 5W-30
> does not have that rating.

As I understand it, Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is the only Syntec product that is
100% true synthetic. It's made in Germany, and is rarer than hen's teeth in
the US.

Amsoil 5W-40 is true synthetic, and Amsoil states that it meets VW 502.00,
but VW doesn't list it on its "approved" list.

Old September 30th 04, 05:04 PM
Brian Running

> Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe the 5W-50 Syntec is also 100% true
> synthetic, and they have or used to have a 20W-50 that I also believe was
> 100% synthetic

There was a big controversy about this a couple years back. Castrol had
been using real PAO synthetic base stocks for their Syntec oils, but then
changed to VHVI base stocks, because they're cheaper. VHVI base stock is
not synthetic, and contains all the waxes and other undesirable ingredients
that refining petroleum cannot completely remove. Castrol continued to call
their oils "synthetic" on the grounds that the additives to the base stock
were synthetic. Mobil had a fit about this, because Mobil 1 uses real PAO
base stock and they didn't like Castrol marketing their Syntec as synthetic
when it's really not. The matter went to arbitration before some marketing
authority, and Castrol won. Even though Castrol won on marketing grounds,
Syntec does not use PAO base stock, and contains all the undesirable junk
that comes with dino oil and which true synthetic avoids. Any American-made
Syntec does not use PAO base stock, and is not truly synthetic. The German,
5W-40 does use PAO.

While we can debate the merits of dino versus synthetic oil, I think we'd
all agree that if you're buying synthetic oil, it ought to be real, honest
synthetic oil. So, I quit using Syntec and went over to Mobil 1 in the
V-Dub, and went to Amsoil in the van. Plus, Mobil 1 0W-40 has the VW 502.00
rating, so, what the heck.

Old October 1st 04, 02:44 AM
TF

You said Mobil uses PAO. Then you said "Any American-made Syntec does not
use PAO base stock, and is not truly synthetic." Is Mobil 1 not USA made?

om...

Old October 1st 04, 03:03 AM
Mike Smith

TF wrote:

> You said Mobil uses PAO. Then you said "Any American-made Syntec does not
> use PAO base stock, and is not truly synthetic." Is Mobil 1 not USA made?

Syntec is a specific brand from Castrol, not a generic term. Mobil 1 is
US-made, and does use PAO base stock.

--
Mike Smith