Oxygen sensor / emission test

Old December 14th 04, 12:01 AM
Jeff Rogers

Default Oxygen sensor / emission test

Hi,

I had a emission test for my 97 camry two days ago. The result came
out is really good compare to the provincial standard( I live in
Ontario Canada). But after the test I found that check engine and ABS
light both on. After a few minutes ABS light off but engine check
light still on. So today I went to a local toyota dealer to scan the
code, what turns out is that one oxygen sensor ( bank 1 sensor 2 )
needs to be replaced. Wondering if I should go to the emission tester
to have him pay for the cost for the replacement which will be 300$
plus tax since everything is fine before the test. I am also wondering
how emission would affect the oxygen sensor? I really appreciate if
anyone could explain that for me.

Thanks
Jeff
Old December 14th 04, 12:22 AM
el Diablo

"Jeff Rogers" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
>
> I had a emission test for my 97 camry two days ago. The result came
> out is really good compare to the provincial standard( I live in
> Ontario Canada). But after the test I found that check engine and ABS
> light both on. After a few minutes ABS light off but engine check
> light still on. So today I went to a local toyota dealer to scan the
> code, what turns out is that one oxygen sensor ( bank 1 sensor 2 )
> needs to be replaced. Wondering if I should go to the emission tester
> to have him pay for the cost for the replacement which will be 300$
> plus tax since everything is fine before the test. I am also wondering
> how emission would affect the oxygen sensor? I really appreciate if
> anyone could explain that for me.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

The emission testing could not possibly damaged the oxygen sensor. Just a
coincidence.

Brian

Old December 14th 04, 12:41 AM
David

"el Diablo" > wrote in message ...

> "Jeff Rogers" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Hi,

> The emission testing could not possibly damaged the oxygen sensor. Just a
> coincidence.

Or it was tripped by the testing process.

Jeff,
Did you try clearing it, and see if it returns?

If the O2 sensor is original, it's reasonable to replace it anyway. Some
people replace them regularly (if infrequently). Some prefer to wait until they fail.

You can replace an O2 sensoe for a lot less than CDN$300.

Old December 14th 04, 04:58 AM
Burt Squareman

"Jeff Rogers" > wrote in message m...

> I had a emission test for my 97 camry two days ago. The result came
> out is really good compare to the provincial standard( I live in
> Ontario Canada). But after the test I found that check engine and ABS
> light both on. After a few minutes ABS light off but engine check
> light still on. So today I went to a local toyota dealer to scan the
> code, what turns out is that one oxygen sensor ( bank 1 sensor 2 )
> needs to be replaced. Wondering if I should go to the emission tester
> to have him pay for the cost for the replacement which will be 300$
> plus tax since everything is fine before the test. I am also wondering
> how emission would affect the oxygen sensor? I really appreciate if
> anyone could explain that for me. Thanks - Jeff

Actually, you're the fourth person to complain of bad O2
sensors from emission tests on this newsgroup within five
years. After the second report, I decide to put initials on all
my easily accessible O2 sensors. I believe the Camry is pretty
accessible. Since mine costs $250 a pop, I only let my buddy
do the test... but I won't loose sleep over it.

Old December 14th 04, 09:24 AM
Rick Colombo

Not on my Jaguar. Each (of the four) O2 sensors cost over $700USD and
that's not the installed price. If you can get me ONE for $300(CDN),
drop me a line. -PapaRick

David wrote:

> "el Diablo" > wrote in message ...

. com...

Old December 14th 04, 04:39 PM
David

"Rick Colombo" > wrote in message ...
> Not on my Jaguar. Each (of the four) O2 sensors cost over $700USD and
> that's not the installed price. If you can get me ONE for $300(CDN),
> drop me a line. -PapaRick

If you buy from the dealer you can always pay a lot. Have you looked for a Bosch replacement
unit online?

Old December 14th 04, 05:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Rick Colombo wrote:

> Not on my Jaguar. Each (of the four) O2 sensors cost over $700USD and
> that's not the installed price. If you can get me ONE for $300(CDN),
> drop me a line. -PapaRick

Model, year and engine of your Jaguar?
Old December 14th 04, 07:31 PM
Woody

There isn't anything they can do with the test to damage the sensor. Reset
the code and see if it comes back. Do they do anything physically to the
car? Ours just plug the tester in the OBDII connector and check all the
readings.

Old December 15th 04, 04:10 AM
Rick Colombo

My memory must be going, I looked it up again and the $700 figure that I
mentioned is for all four O2 sensors, sorry about that. -PapaRick