Tire Pressure?? 90 Cherokee LTD

Old July 12th 05, 12:40 AM
Dana Rohleder

Default Tire Pressure?? 90 Cherokee LTD

I'm more than a bit confused about my man. rec. tire pressures. The driver's
door says 33psi F&R. The owner's manual says 30psi F&R. The front glovebox
has an additional sticker specifically for a Limited - it states 30/35psi
F/R. I know these pressures don't make a lot of difference anyway, but I was
curious why the LTD would specify different F/R pressures. Is it because the
LTD has a rear antisway bar? Shouldn't the pressures be equal F/R with
SelectTrac? It certainly seems to ride less harshly with the front at
30psi., but I assume it won't help my mileage much!
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ
90 Jeep XJ Ltd.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

Old July 12th 05, 02:51 AM
Bowgus

My interpretation of 30/35 psi F/R ... pressures F and R should be equal,
and should be no less than 30 psi and no greater than 35 psi. Regular tires
(touring, all season etc) can (should) be inflated an additional 2 or 3 psi
or so above the normal 33 or so psi for highway speeds say on trips or if
yer a highway driver to reduce heat. So, for day to day slow speed no less
than 30 or so psi and for constant higher speed say highway driving no more
than 35 or so psi ... + or - :-)

Old July 12th 05, 04:21 AM
Dana Rohleder

No, it states 30psi front, 35psi rear, I just wrote it in a half-assed
shorthand.

--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ
90 Jeep XJ Ltd.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

Old July 12th 05, 06:12 AM
Carl Saiyed

Put em at 33 and be happy.

Carl

Old July 12th 05, 11:40 AM
Kevin in San Diego

All the manuals and stickers on the Jeep are just guides. What you really
need to do is find out how your specific tires meet the road. Too much air
and they wear at the center, too little and they wear at the edges. Its very
simple really. There are various tricks to do this including chalk on the
tire and seeing where it wears off. My bigger tires with stiffer sidewalls
seem happy at 28 or so.
KH

Old July 12th 05, 12:29 PM
Bowgus

Ok, well ... I'd say it's a mistake.

Old July 12th 05, 02:40 PM
Mike Romain

We run 30 in ours except when carrying a load then we bump up the front
to 32 and the rear at least to 32+.

I can't say I notice much mileage difference, we do it for the
stability.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 12th 05, 02:45 PM
Mike Romain

That is for carrying a load. The more weight, the more air you put in
the rear tires up to the maximum allowed which is printed on the
sidewall of the tire.

I have had loads on where I had to max out the pressure or I would have
been driving on the sidewall.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 12th 05, 02:55 PM
Snow

I run 30 to 35 psi in both front and rear on my 93 XJ and the same on the
wifeys 93 ZJ, the only time I run higher pressures is as others have said
hauling a load or when I put the snow tires on which have the pressure range
stamped in the sidewall (35 to 45 psi) I generally run about 40 with these.

You may have a few stickers stating different pressures due to labelling
errors that occurred at the factory, IIRC there was actually re-calls for
having the incorrect tire pressures on the door jamb (glove box) stickers.

At least they didn't do what ford did with the explorer, and tell everyone
to run the tires at 26 psi to reduce body roll and increase the stability...
even after firestone told ford that tire failure would result. I know 4
people who are still running those firestone wilderness tires on their
explorers, at a more suitable pressure of 30-33 psi, with no problems.

Snow...

Old July 13th 05, 02:26 AM
Dana Rohleder

Now that you mention it, there is a light, penciled-in X over the sticker in
the glovebox. It certainly didn't look too official like it was done in a
recall, but I'll check into it to see if it was involved in a recall for
that. It doesn't come up as an outstanding recall on the vehicle, but
perhaps it was carried out by an underachiever, which I am seeing a lot of
with Jeep in my experience. Thanks.

--
Dana
Port Kent, NY