Collector plates

Old January 8th 05, 04:40 AM
rgf

Default Collector plates

Collector/Classic plates/tags are causing me a bit of a problem for my
recently aquired '59. Thankfully the '78 has none of these problems.
Curious if others have had these problems and what you did about it or
what happened -

Under our regulations in B.C. for collector plates the car appearance
and condition must meet certain requirements which include (I include
only the items that are presenting difficulty)
- Exterior
Paint-stock appearance. No Primer, blemishes or missing trim. No
visible body rust or trim. No dents or chips in bodywork or trim
Convertible top- Undamaged and in good working condition
Interior
- Interior Flooring/Carpeting - Original or reproductions in good condition

What I have is on the exterior two colour blemishes where the paint,
which is original and untouched, has slightly different colouring due
natural fading. Also on the paint there is the usual heat crinkle in the
hood center as well as two places (one on the trunk lid and the other on
driver's side front fender) that have 1/2 dozen or less small unburst
bubbles. The carpeting is also original and in fabulous condition (no
frays, snags or other fabric faults) but has age faded to almost light
brown burlap colour. The top has a small one inch mouse hole in it for
which vinyl repairing makes much sense as the top is otherwise in
excellent condition, soft and bright.

My difficulty is that although the vehicle and it's usuage handily meet
the requirements for these plates, and the ensuing lower insurance
rates, I do NOT wish to repair or replace either the carpet, top or the
paint. This is not a monetary consideration but rather that it is
totally original... a hard to find breed. I'd like to keep it that way.

Suggestions?

Richard

Old January 8th 05, 05:10 AM
StingRay

"rgf" > wrote in message news:_CIDd.6431$8l.3611@pd7tw1no...
> Collector/Classic plates/tags are causing me a bit of a problem for my
> recently aquired '59. Thankfully the '78 has none of these problems.
> Curious if others have had these problems and what you did about it or
> what happened -
>
> Under our regulations in B.C. for collector plates the car appearance and
> condition must meet certain requirements which include (I include only the
> items that are presenting difficulty)
> - Exterior
> Paint-stock appearance. No Primer, blemishes or missing trim. No
> visible body rust or trim. No dents or chips in bodywork or trim
> Convertible top- Undamaged and in good working condition
> Interior
> - Interior Flooring/Carpeting - Original or reproductions in good
> condition
>
> What I have is on the exterior two colour blemishes where the paint, which
> is original and untouched, has slightly different colouring due natural
> fading. Also on the paint there is the usual heat crinkle in the hood
> center as well as two places (one on the trunk lid and the other on
> driver's side front fender) that have 1/2 dozen or less small unburst
> bubbles. The carpeting is also original and in fabulous condition (no
> frays, snags or other fabric faults) but has age faded to almost light
> brown burlap colour. The top has a small one inch mouse hole in it for
> which vinyl repairing makes much sense as the top is otherwise in
> excellent condition, soft and bright.
>
> My difficulty is that although the vehicle and it's usuage handily meet
> the requirements for these plates, and the ensuing lower insurance rates,
> I do NOT wish to repair or replace either the carpet, top or the paint.
> This is not a monetary consideration but rather that it is totally
> original... a hard to find breed. I'd like to keep it that way.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Richard

Richard, a buddy of mine ran into this same issue in Ontario. He took the
car to the license bureau and let them see that it was not a junker. They
issued the HMV (Historical Motor Vehicle) plates with no further questions.
It's an annoyance, but it worked for him.

Old January 8th 05, 05:10 AM
StingRay

Old January 8th 05, 07:58 AM
rgf

> Richard, a buddy of mine ran into this same issue in Ontario. He took the
> car to the license bureau and let them see that it was not a junker. They
> issued the HMV (Historical Motor Vehicle) plates with no further questions.
> It's an annoyance, but it worked for him.

Excellent suggestion

This may well be the solution. I'll make inquiries on Monday to see if
we can do this at the local ICBC office (Insurance Corp. of B.C. handles
plates, registration and insurance in these parts).

Thanks StingRay

Richard

Old January 8th 05, 07:58 AM
rgf

Old January 8th 05, 05:53 PM
StingRay

"rgf" > wrote in message news:uwLDd.8201$6l.5964@pd7tw2no...

>> Richard, a buddy of mine ran into this same issue in Ontario. He took the
>> car to the license bureau and let them see that it was not a junker. They
>> issued the HMV (Historical Motor Vehicle) plates with no further
>> questions. It's an annoyance, but it worked for him.

> Excellent suggestion
>
> This may well be the solution. I'll make inquiries on Monday to see if we
> can do this at the local ICBC office (Insurance Corp. of B.C. handles
> plates, registration and insurance in these parts).
>
> Thanks StingRay
>
> Richard

Let us know if it works in BC Richard. Glad to be of help. - StingRay

Old January 8th 05, 05:53 PM
StingRay

Old February 4th 05, 07:01 AM
rgf

Stingray wrote:
"Richard, a buddy of mine ran into this same issue in Ontario. He took the
car to the license bureau and let them see that it was not a junker. They
issued the HMV (Historical Motor Vehicle) plates with no further questions.
It's an annoyance, but it worked for him."

An Update of the latest bs fed to me by our benevolent government
insurance -

They approved the car for collector plates without hauling it down to
the local offices. Seems the pictures were enough. Thankfully!

However, they have an unbelievable ability to put a screw into just
about anything one could imagine. As I wish to insure the car for and
agreed value, which exceeds their "maybe" up to CDN$40,000 by normal
collector insurance, I must now get the car to the local office which is
about 5 miles away.

BUT! As we have not yet settled on the insured value I do not have
plates (nor insurance obviously) to get it there.

Their suggestion - Buy a one day permit and just drive it over.

Yah right! That gives me a "plate"/permit but NO insurance at all other
than on the other guy and minimum liability. So if'n the car takes a
smack from someone else I'd get an unreasonable facsimile of 40 grand,
or nothing if I, God forbid, caused the accident.

These people are running our government agencies and are brain dead.

Thankfully I have discovered that the local boss is a gearhead and has a
collector car himself as well as being an active member of a local car
club. He is dragging the boys over to my house for ... errr coffee ...
at the end of a days work to survey the car and do the insurance
valuation. Also says my purchase price sounds a little low for insurance
purposes ... I thought that interesting.

Sounds like a happy ending depending on how full the "coffee" pot is

Richard

Old February 4th 05, 02:25 PM
SkyhawkXP

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:01:20 GMT, rgf > opined:

>Thankfully I have discovered that the local boss is a gearhead and has a
>collector car himself as well as being an active member of a local car
>club. He is dragging the boys over to my house for ... errr coffee ...
>at the end of a days work to survey the car and do the insurance
>valuation. Also says my purchase price sounds a little low for insurance
>purposes ... I thought that interesting.
>
>Sounds like a happy ending depending on how full the "coffee" pot is

Best of luck, and make sure to brew the fresh stuff!
--
SkyhawkXP
Remove SPAM when replying via email