Building a tank...

Old January 31st 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Default Building a tank...

"David Zopf" wrote in message
.. .

"Sean" wrote in message

"CanadianCray" wrote in message
1500-$2000?????? Where are you shopping? I have picked up numerous
100gallon setups for under $600. Including stands & canopies. I am in
the Toronto area.

I live in Newfoundland. Our prices are nowhere near that good. We
recently had a bunch of Pets Unlimited shop open and I figured at those
big chain stores I would get a cheaper price. Nope...not a chance.

Thats what you get for putting the Gulf of St. Lawrence between you and
Civilization ;-)

Heh, that's funny. I'm actually glad about that.

Sean

Old January 31st 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Sean wrote:
Why do you say arcylic is not so expensive? What have you found.

I checked around town here. I can get a 0.5" sheet of acrylic for $500.
Or
I could buy Lexan, which would be about the same strength as a 1.5" thick
sheet of acrylic (according to the guy I just called here at a plastic
shop,
but I shall check the PDFs on the product before I do anything ). He
said
its the same stuff that they make bus shelters out of and its practically
indestructible. Anyways that runs for a little cheaper then the acrylic,
so
now I've got my ballpark figure I say its going to be cheaper in
relation to what we have to pay here for tanks. A 100G tank here cost
anywhere from $1500-2000, I don't know what prices run where you are but
fish keeping isn't exactly a big thing here and the price/selection
reflects
that. The local stores had a Xmas dealy happening and they were proud to
boast that they now have 55g tanks for the low price of $899. Comes with
$10 filter/pump combo and a bag of substrate...ridiculous.

Ah, see, well, tanks are half a buck a gallon in Tronno. Used, albeit,
but that's fine. It takes two 4x8 shets to make a 240. I can buy one
for half the price of one sheet. But for BIG tanks it's your only option.

Exactly...if there were any amount of tanks here to be bought used, I would
consider a large used tank. That isn't the case sadly.

Sean

Old January 31st 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

In article ,
Sean wrote:

Ah, see, well, tanks are half a buck a gallon in Tronno. Used, albeit,
but that's fine. It takes two 4x8 shets to make a 240. I can buy one
for half the price of one sheet. But for BIG tanks it's your only option.

Exactly...if there were any amount of tanks here to be bought used, I would
consider a large used tank. That isn't the case sadly.

Look in recycler.com for large used acrylic tanks. UPS will ship anything
under 150 pounds for about $180 max. A 300 gal acrylic tank is about 150
pounds. I saw one for $180 last year but the guy wouldn't ship internationally
(but would take paypal). Actually he wouled ship but he wouldn't weight it
and I didn't want UPS to come out and go "ah, 165 pounds, THAT's like
$600 to ship"

There's trucks that go back and forth between Tronna and the rock all the
time. You see them around here; there's a lot of Nefoundland flags in this
area.

I bought two drilled 90's for $50 (for both) last year. Lots of bargins if
you're patient. Look in pricenetwork.ca classifieds and be patient then you
have a simple logistics problem of getting stuf from TO to you which people
deal with all the time.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old January 31st 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Sean wrote:

[...]

Sweet site...might actually get what I want for cheap here...

Sean

Old January 31st 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Sean" wrote in message
Exactly...if there were any amount of tanks here to be bought used, I
would consider a large used tank. That isn't the case sadly.

==========================
Is everything twice the price where you live? I suppose it's the shipping
expenses that add so much to the cost of the tanks. Do you pay double for
the fish you purchase as well?
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old January 31st 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

"Sean" wrote in message
Exactly...if there were any amount of tanks here to be bought used, I
would consider a large used tank. That isn't the case sadly.

==========================
Is everything twice the price where you live? I suppose it's the
shipping
expenses that add so much to the cost of the tanks. Do you pay double for
the fish you purchase as well?

No, the actual fish are priced fairly well (I base this on the prices the
stores pay from the actual supplier). I paid $11 each for 6 Piranha at a
local shop.

Sean

Old January 31st 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Exactly...if there were any amount of tanks here to be bought used, I
would consider a large used tank. That isn't the case sadly.

==========================
Is everything twice the price where you live? I suppose it's the shipping
expenses that add so much to the cost of the tanks. Do you pay double for
the fish you purchase as well?

Pretend it's Hawaii, but colder.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old January 31st 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Exactly...if there were any amount of tanks here to be bought used, I
would consider a large used tank. That isn't the case sadly.

==========================
Is everything twice the price where you live? I suppose it's the
shipping
expenses that add so much to the cost of the tanks. Do you pay double for
the fish you purchase as well?

Pretend it's Hawaii, but colder.

===========================
LOL :-D Gotcha!

Old February 1st 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Exactly...if there were any amount of tanks here to be bought used, I
would consider a large used tank. That isn't the case sadly.

==========================
Is everything twice the price where you live? I suppose it's the
shipping
expenses that add so much to the cost of the tanks. Do you pay double for
the fish you purchase as well?

Pretend it's Hawaii, but colder.

Hah! I'm happy for that also. I can't stand temps above freezing. GF says
I am part yeti.

Sean

Old February 2nd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

If you're serious about this project you should ask around at
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/

These guys have dealt with large tanks.

"Sean" wrote in
:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Sean wrote:
Anyone have any tips on what one would need/do when building a custom
tank?
Materials to use and sealant advice would be great. I'm looking to
contruct
a tank that is about 300Gs...

Step 1: See if you can get the glass cheaper than just buying a tank.
Silicone
is the only adhesive you can use.

I won't be using glass, it's no good for what I want.

Acrylic is easier to work with but even more expensive.

That's what I am going with.

I'd buy a good ued tank. What reason would you have to make one
that big yourself?

My reasons are basically a hobby/ project. Everybody has a tank, how
many can say they built it from scratch and in such a way that makes
it unique to them?

Sean

Help me fill my Rio 125 :-) FishNoob General 3 December 3rd 05 11:05 AM
Hurt Betta and Goldfish , Help !!! Cassie General 37 November 22nd 05 08:53 PM
New Fish Always killing off the tank. Timothy E. Raborn General 17 June 29th 05 09:15 PM
Building a tank questions kryppy Reefs 2 March 20th 05 01:55 AM
Tall 30 gallon tank - is it good for any fish? Sarah General 20 June 1st 04 10:57 PM