Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager

Old March 13th 05, 03:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, HarryS wrote:

> I buy the OEM Champion the cheapest plugs for all my vehicles and change
> them out at each 30K. The truth to be known there is no proof that a more
> expensive plug provides better performance

Nobody said it did.

There are more expensive plugs that make engines run worse and don't last
very long (Splitfire, Bosch Platinum, etc.), but there are also more
expensive plugs that make the engine run properly over a longer period of
time.

Old March 13th 05, 04:24 PM
Bob Shuman

Ken,

My 3.0L is a different application even though it is the same engine. My
3.0L is in a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL. This is the double overhead cam
version with 222 base HP and basically the same engine (and plugs) as is
used in the much higher HP twin turbo. The 3000GT calls for the laser
platinum version. As I indicated in my previous post, they are 60K mile
plugs and I picked them up the last time for around $10-11 each somewhere on
the web. This compares to the $23 each they wanted at the local Chrysler
(Stealth) and Mitsubishi dealers.

They are excellent plugs and perform very well. I was reluctant to try
anything else since I have had some bad luck when not using OEM plugs in the
past. Hey, if the manufacturer sprang for the extra bucks for these plugs
in the first place, then there was a reason. That all said, I'm not sure
what plug your make and model call for so check to see what it came with
from the factory and use the same if possible.

Bob

Old March 13th 05, 09:48 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:58:10 -0500, "HarryS" >
wrote:

>I buy the OEM Champion the cheapest plugs for all my vehicles and change
>them out at each 30K. The truth to be known there is no proof that a more
>expensive plug provides better performance whether it be a platinum , or
>split fire, or any other type. See for yourself write each manufacturer and
>ask them to provide a guarantee and if you are lucky to get an answer you
>will find they will not provide one and they will provide many excuses.

Double platinums are genreally designed for lost spark ignitions,
because half the plugs fire positive, and the other half negative.
They are not a great improvement on conventional ignitions, and using
non platinum plugs on my old 3.0 Aeostar (ford) I got over 40,000KM on
a set. Never liked leaving them in much longer than that anyways, as
they tended to "burn" the case, and you'd twist them off trying to
remove them. Not nice on an engine where you have to do everything by
"braille".
Old March 14th 05, 12:36 AM
jdoe

Some day your head will come out of that dark place
"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, jdoe wrote:
>
>> Put in what it came with in the first place. The mits is hard on plugs
>> it's a known fact

> The Mitsubishi engine is not "hard on plugs" anywhere except in your
> imaginative little mind.
>
>> Either way the mfgr. spends WAY more time and money than we do to

figure

Old March 14th 05, 02:42 AM
me!

Amen on that one Daniel.. Champion cranked out so much crap in the 60's
(sparkplugs anyway.. don't remember them marketing anything else)that I
still won't buy *anything* that says Champion on it. Autolites.... yup..
used them for years NGK's have used also without *any* comebacks or problems
of any kind.

Old March 14th 05, 02:48 AM
me!

Bosch platinums.. tried the 2 prongs.. 1. they gave a guarantee if I
couldn't tell the difference I could get my money back.. (of course I DID)
2. plugs on my 2.4 are a 30 minute job from opening the hood to closing
after the finish or I wouldn't have bothered.. but it did do well to settle
the argument for me anyway..

Platinum=another attempted rip off *no value* didn't make a bit of
difference to the positive.. and I actually felt the vehicle did not start
as well.. however that was not scientific.. just a judgment of my own.. ..
but one of experience.. I have had the vehicle for 7 years and put 100,000
miles on it in the city (Chicago) not a lot of high way or expressway
miles.. hence many many many starts.

Old March 14th 05, 04:29 AM
Ken Peterson

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:55:00 -0500, Ken Peterson <zebra @
optonline.net> wrote:

Thanks for all the input - I ordered some Autolite double platinums
today from http://www.sparkplugs.com - I figure that will be better
than the Bosch Platinums that are currently in use. The Bosch plugs
have less than 10K on them by the time I remove them, so I figure
they'll do until their replaced.

On a side issue, I am impressed with the Bosch 8mm plug wires. They
seem to be of good quality, plus I've found Bosch wiper blades to be
better than Anco. (IMHO)
Old March 14th 05, 07:37 PM
Richard

On a side issue, I am impressed with the Bosch 8mm plug wires. They seem
to be of good quality, plus I've found Bosch wiper blades to be better than
Anco. (IMHO)

Back in 67 my friend got a new 911, with twin 3 barrel carbs. It had air
injection and fouled the plugs every 1,000 miles or so. Bosch had an
expensive platinum plug that was superb and that cured the fouling problem
(along with a capacitive discharge ignition we build from a kit). Wonder if
Bosch still offers those superb plugs in Europe?

Richard.

Old March 14th 05, 08:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:

> On a side issue, I am impressed with the Bosch 8mm plug wires. They
> seem to be of good quality

Based on...?

> I've found Bosch wiper blades to be better than Anco.

Boy, not me. I've found just the opposite.
Old March 15th 05, 02:56 AM
Ken Peterson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:50:56 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:
>
>> On a side issue, I am impressed with the Bosch 8mm plug wires. They
>> seem to be of good quality

>Based on...?

Personal opinion and examination. The other generic wires I have
acquired from the various auto parts stores local to me were not as
good. YMMV.

>> I've found Bosch wiper blades to be better than Anco.

>Boy, not me. I've found just the opposite.

I had Anco blades on this Voyager and they made horrible noises on
anything but a very wet windshield. (drove the wifee crazy). I
popped in a set of Bosch 28" blades, and that cured the noise problem,
both in the blades and the wifee complaints! :-)

98 Passport spark plugs JC- Honda 1 March 10th 05 06:01 AM
Spark Plugs for 93 SL1 SOHC Gary Compton Saturn 3 July 18th 04 12:33 PM
spark plugs condition newsgroup Saturn 2 July 11th 04 09:08 PM
Mystery spark plugs in 2002 stratus Alan Wedin Dodge 8 June 19th 04 02:29 PM
How to change spark plugs on Ford Contour V6? Jian General 0 January 21st 04 05:45 AM