Timing belt / water pump

Old March 4th 05, 03:35 AM
Bror Jace

Um, anyone else think the dealership would rather sell an expensive
service (necessary but performed early) rather than perform warranty
Work?

They are 80-90% the same job and one could be used to 'mask' the other.

Selling someone a belt early, would be a way to make money rather than
put in for warranty reimbursement which might make the dealership less
popular .

-- Bror Jace

Old March 10th 05, 05:46 AM
y_p_w

Bror Jace wrote:

> Um, anyone else think the dealership would rather sell an expensive
> service (necessary but performed early) rather than perform warranty
> Work?
>
> They are 80-90% the same job and one could be used to 'mask' the other.
>
> Selling someone a belt early, would be a way to make money rather than
> put in for warranty reimbursement which might make the dealership less
> popular .

I don't know of many water pumps that won't last through the warranty
period. I was thinking maybe sometime between the end of the warranty
coverage but before the timing belt change is due. In that case it's
a good idea to change the belt and tensioner pulley proactively.
Old March 12th 05, 11:57 PM
Lex

ok lets get this straight. we do timing belt packages at my dealership for
about 600 dollars or so depending on the vehicle. there is no need to
replace the tensioner unless it shows signs of damage. we replace the water
pump, timing belt, cam seal, front crank seal, any drive belts and the valve
cover gasket. and we use OEM parts of course. you can have a Honda
Technician do it, or some grease monkey that's touches Hondas once in a
while do it.
news

Old March 14th 05, 04:25 PM
y_p_w

Lex wrote:
> ok lets get this straight. we do timing belt packages at my dealership for
> about 600 dollars or so depending on the vehicle. there is no need to
> replace the tensioner unless it shows signs of damage. we replace the water
> pump, timing belt, cam seal, front crank seal, any drive belts and the valve
> cover gasket. and we use OEM parts of course. you can have a Honda
> Technician do it, or some grease monkey that's touches Hondas once in a
> while do it.

I've seen many recommendations that the tensioner pulley might as well
be replaced while the mechanic "is in there". It's only a $30 part,
and I"ve heard of cases where a tensioner pulley has seized and
destroyed the timing belt. With all that stuff off, it's supposed to
be a chance to replace a mish-mash of parts that might break.
Old March 15th 05, 03:03 AM
TeGGer®

y_p_w > wrote in
ink.net:

> Lex wrote:
>> ok lets get this straight. we do timing belt packages at my
>> dealership for about 600 dollars or so depending on the vehicle.
>> there is no need to replace the tensioner unless it shows signs of
>> damage. we replace the water pump, timing belt, cam seal, front crank
>> seal, any drive belts and the valve cover gasket. and we use OEM
>> parts of course. you can have a Honda Technician do it, or some
>> grease monkey that's touches Hondas once in a while do it.

> I've seen many recommendations that the tensioner pulley might as well
> be replaced while the mechanic "is in there". It's only a $30 part,
> and I"ve heard of cases where a tensioner pulley has seized and
> destroyed the timing belt. With all that stuff off, it's supposed to
> be a chance to replace a mish-mash of parts that might break.

Replace tensioner and spring every second belt change. Leaving them in for
a third belt is asking for serious trouble.

This is assuming you're sticking to the Service Manual's replacement
interval...

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 16th 05, 04:18 PM

mpet500 wrote:
> I own a 2001 Honda Civic. It has about 100,000 KMs (62000 miles)
>
> I just brought my car in to be repaired. The Honda dealer told me I

have
> to change the timing belt and water pump. Athough the timing belt is

not
> broken, he recommended I change it since it is all cracked.

Unfortunately
> changing a timing belt is not under the warranty (unless it snaps in
> half...this is just maintenance). But, the water pump is under my

warranty.

> I know that to change the timing belt and water pump, it is pretty

much
> the same job. The question is, what amount of labour is required to
> change the water pump and what amount of labour is required to change

the
> timing belt. I want to make sure that I am not getting screwed. I

want to
> make sure that I am only paying for the timing belt portion of the

labour
> and not the water pump portion of the labour. Can anyone give me an
> estimate on the time required? Thanks

A quick check of the Maintenance Schedule in your 2001 Honda Civic
Owners
Manual will show that the recommended interval for timing belt change,
under normal driving conditions, is (drum roll....) : every 110000
mi/176000 KM , or @ 84 months. The water pump has no replacement
interval, but is to be 'inspected' at each timing belt change or 'as
required'.

FWIW, I commute 110 miles daily (rt) via I-95 in Florida driving a 2001
Civic EX Coupe. I bought the car new Dec, 2000 and it currently has
157000 miles on it with original timing belt and water pump. I'm going
for the 84 month (7 year) replacement cycle. I'm going to inspect the
timing belt soon, when I change the OEM plugs !