How do I check the transmission fluid

Old March 3rd 05, 04:46 AM
Bruce

Default How do I check the transmission fluid

I have a 2001 Mustang convertable. Did not get an owners manual when I
bought it.

I looked but can't find the dip stick for the automatic transmission.

Anyone out there that knows where I can find it?

Thanks,

Bruce

Old March 4th 05, 12:59 AM
Kruse

Bruce wrote:
> I have a 2001 Mustang convertable. Did not get an owners manual when

> bought it.
>
> I looked but can't find the dip stick for the automatic transmission.
>
> Anyone out there that knows where I can find it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

I would imagine that you car has a dipstick, it just simply covered up
with hoses or sits very low by the firewall. However, a lot of the
newer Ford/Mercury and Lincoln cars do not have a dipstick. Yep, you
heard it right. An automatic transmission with NO dipstick. How do you
check the fluid level? You don't.
Now here's where it gets interesting. A few late model Ford/Mercury and
Lincoln cars have a recall for hard shifting. The cure is to add a
bottle of liquid that Ford markets. You might ask how to get the fluid
into the tranny if there is no dipstick. It's simple. (Actually it's
not so simple)
There is a plug on the BOTTOM side of the tranny pan. Yep, you must
take out the plug and try to get this additive into the tranny while
the transmission fluid is running out of the plug. Did you lost too
much tranny fluid? Who knows. This will come back and bite the car
manufactures because Ford is not the only one who is doing this.

Old March 7th 05, 02:05 AM
JS

"Kruse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bruce wrote:
>> I have a 2001 Mustang convertable. Did not get an owners manual when

>> bought it.
>>
>> I looked but can't find the dip stick for the automatic transmission.
>>
>> Anyone out there that knows where I can find it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bruce

> I would imagine that you car has a dipstick, it just simply covered up
> with hoses or sits very low by the firewall. However, a lot of the
> newer Ford/Mercury and Lincoln cars do not have a dipstick. Yep, you
> heard it right. An automatic transmission with NO dipstick. How do you
> check the fluid level? You don't.
> Now here's where it gets interesting. A few late model Ford/Mercury and
> Lincoln cars have a recall for hard shifting. The cure is to add a
> bottle of liquid that Ford markets. You might ask how to get the fluid
> into the tranny if there is no dipstick. It's simple. (Actually it's
> not so simple)
> There is a plug on the BOTTOM side of the tranny pan. Yep, you must
> take out the plug and try to get this additive into the tranny while
> the transmission fluid is running out of the plug. Did you lost too
> much tranny fluid? Who knows. This will come back and bite the car
> manufactures because Ford is not the only one who is doing this.

It's hard to believe that there is no fill plug on the top or side of the
transmission anywhere to allow you to put the fluid in. Hell, even if you'd
jack the back end of the car way up and pull the driveshaft, you could
always dump it in the tailshaft. It'd be less messy.

Either the dealer has some sort of positive pressure fill system specific to
these cars (highly unlikely) or there's another way.

And, as far as it biting the car manufacturers, I kinda doubt it. Fewer and
fewer people are working on their cars today, and really all Ford (or any
other manufacturer) cares about is that it gets out of the warranty period
safely. They expect turn-around, and aren't real concerned with the 2nd-9th
owners, because they aren't buying *new* cars... thus not helping them any.
The dealerships will get the correct tools to work on the cars, and beyond
that, the shadetree and the private shop owner may be left scrambling, but I
doubt the manufacturers will feel any of that sting.

JS

Old March 16th 05, 03:27 AM
adam

DANG!! that's about as dumb as making the heater core the first part
on the assembly line that they built my car around!

adam

'03 K500 Tahoe
'95 Z71, Edelbrock MPFI
'93 Mustang Cobra 3076

Old March 16th 05, 04:32 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 3/3/2005 4:59 PM, Kruse wrote:

> You might ask how to get the fluid
> into the tranny if there is no dipstick. It's simple. (Actually it's
> not so simple)
> There is a plug on the BOTTOM side of the tranny pan. Yep, you must
> take out the plug and try to get this additive into the tranny while
> the transmission fluid is running out of the plug.

Why on earth would you do it that way? That's the hard way! It's much
easier to just flip the car onto it's roof...

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |

Brown Transmission Fluid Question Tommy Taylor Technology 5 December 20th 04 08:16 PM
My Beetle's Maintenance Schedule - Help Please! Sleepy Joe VW air cooled 0 October 18th 04 01:53 AM
Transmission Fluid Dan Fraser Dodge 12 August 10th 04 06:08 AM
Transmission fluid avalibility Alan W. Blackmon Dodge 14 July 10th 04 06:17 AM