Misfires above 2000 RPM.

Old March 2nd 05, 11:41 PM
JimS

Default Misfires above 2000 RPM.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 5.2 liter.
Does not hold fuel pressure. Misfires above 2000 RPM.

'94 Grand Cherokee gets fuel pressure during the first
2 seconds. But loses that pressure almost immediately
afterwards. Have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel
pressure regulator. None of the fuel injectors appear
to be leaking.

Where might the loss of fuel pressure occur?

The Grand Cherokee also misfires above 2000 RMP. This
happens only with transmission in Park or Neutral, not
in drive. It idles well and runs well up to 2000 RMP.
At 2000 RMP and above get misfires as evidenced by
roughness and high HC's. Misfiring is not isolated
to just one cylinder.

Have replaced the crankshaft position sensor (which was
bad). Have replaced the coil, the cap and the rotor.
Inspected spark plugs and they look new. Checked spark
plug wires and they are good.

What might cause misfires only above 2000 RMP and only
in Park or Neutral?

Old March 2nd 05, 11:51 PM
DougW

JimS did pass the time by typing:
> 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 5.2 liter.
> Does not hold fuel pressure. Misfires above 2000 RPM.
>
> '94 Grand Cherokee gets fuel pressure during the first
> 2 seconds. But loses that pressure almost immediately
> afterwards. Have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel
> pressure regulator. None of the fuel injectors appear
> to be leaking.

Just to make sure you know this, the pump only runs for
a couple of seconds on startup to prime the system, then
runs all the time as the engine is running.

You need a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. Pull off the
vac line to the regulator and if the pressure jumps 4-6psi
then the regulator is fine. I suspect the pump even if it
is new.

> Where might the loss of fuel pressure occur?

That's basically it. Fuel pump check valve or
fuel rail pressure regulator. It is possible you
got a bad replacement pump. OEM or aftermarket?
The aftermarket pumps are notorious for failing out
of the box.

> The Grand Cherokee also misfires above 2000 RMP. This
> happens only with transmission in Park or Neutral, not
> in drive.

> What might cause misfires only above 2000 RMP and only
> in Park or Neutral?

crossfire, there is a TSB out there for new wire routing
on the 5.2 V8.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old March 3rd 05, 01:02 AM
William Oliveri

Maybe that little screen in your gas tank that filters out crud from your
gas is clogged? Rusty tank could cause this.

One idea, hope it helps.

Bill

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 3rd 05, 01:07 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

May have something to do with your computer's rev limiter as free
wheeling it in neutral at high Revolution Per Minute would be
destructive.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 3rd 05, 04:33 AM
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

Just a followup with a link

http://www.zjilla.com/pingtsb/18_48_98_v8.htm

Old March 14th 05, 07:08 PM
JimS

Sorry I have taken so long to respond. I had
posted this for a friend who does not have
Internet access. I gave him the results of the
first responses. Then he did not get back to me
for over week. (In the future I will be more
judicial about posting for others, because I do
not like leaving things hanging like this.)

DougW>It is possible you
DougW>got a bad replacement pump. OEM or aftermarket?

The new pump was OEM. Same symptoms with both the
old and the new pump.

---

DougW>crossfire, there is a TSB out there for new wire routing
DougW>on the 5.2 V8.
DougW>http://www.zjilla.com/pingtsb/18_48_98_v8.htm

I printed this TSB and gave it to him. Much
later, he said that he had already checked the
wire routing.

---

The answer: He found another TSB about indexing
the distributor. The distributor position was off
and had to be turned. That stopped the misfires.

As far as I know, the loss of fuel pressure is
still present. But car runs fine anyway.

---

Bill>Maybe that little screen in your gas tank that filters out crud from
your
Bill>gas is clogged?

Maybe. I will mention this to him next time I
talk to him. But I suspect this was checked when
the fuel pump was changed.

---

L.W.>May have something to do with your computer's rev limiter

Sorry, the distributor got indexed before I had
even read this comment. I did not check for more
replies while waiting for a response to DougW's
reply from him.

Nevertheless, I personally find this comment
interesting. I am a just a student with little
real shop experience. I did not know PCM's had a
rev limiter. I will look into it just to learn
something.

Jim S.