CO2 or not

Old February 28th 05, 02:36 PM
Ozdude

"Mean_Chlorine" wrote in message

After all, they're not truly evil fish. Unlike tiger barbs and chinese
algae eaters I feel there is a place for them in aquaristics - just
not in planted community tanks.

I can see they would be good in a species tank, perhaps with bigger tetras
like the Congo and maybe even Hatchet Fish, but I don't think just for being
themselves they should be subjected to predators just because I made the
mistake

I meant to state in a previous post that my belligerence towards these fish
isn't the fishes fault at all - it's mine - completely my doing.

They are behaving completely normally, and it is I who did the "bad thing" -
my thinking and actions.

Well at least I won't do that ever again - impulse buying living creatures
without researching them is a no no for me as of this event

You live and learn

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old February 28th 05, 02:50 PM
Ozdude

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

If you are like me, you will either get rid of the unwanted fish or build
a bio-tope around them. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground
;~). Incidentally, Mike mentioned that they are not good with plants, but
I've had no experience with them in planted tanks. If I was to guess, I
would have said that they would mostly ignore the plants.

Well, they do have a sort of biotope around them now in the 10GAL. The
lighting is subdued, the gravel is dark and mixed with river sand and they
have quite a few plastic plants and a plastic rock. The tank actually looks
better than I thought and I am over the moon with the dual sponge filter I
am using. It cleared the milky water (from the substrate particulates, not
bacteria) in less than 72 hours. And currently the water is beautifully
clear and healthy for tetras.

I tested the water today (see my Sad Day post for parameters) and it's
perfect for Tetras - they may even breed in the tank they are now in if the
pH goes any lower, but I'm hoping if they do, they eat the eggs - I don't
want any more of this fish .

They certainly didn't ignore my plants, in fact they have a preference, in
my experience, for the new leaves of Wisteria, Ambula and Stricta. All
nibbled to the stalk, but all sprouting again today.

The general advice about them and plants out there, suggests if you are
going to use real plants then they should ideally be the fast growing types,
which is a sort of conundrum really because to grow plants fast you need
lots of light first, so even if you had floating things like Hornwort to
give the fish cover the lower stem plants wouldn't receive the required
light.

I believe also they won't touch Val. - they didn't touch mine and they
certainly aren't touching the Pongol Grass in the current tank they are in.

Everything I read about them seems to be right though - fin nipping, greedy,
plant eating little piranahs!

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old February 28th 05, 04:15 PM
Mean_Chlorine

Thusly "Ozdude" Spake Unto All:

I believe also they won't touch Val. - they didn't touch mine and they
certainly aren't touching the Pongol Grass in the current tank they are in.

Same here. Vals go unmolested (so far, anyway).

Everything I read about them seems to be right though - fin nipping, greedy,
plant eating little piranahs!

Seems like it, yeah. Big & boisterous, but not truly bad, and quite
attractive. As I said, I think they'd be good as dithers for an
mbuna/convict/firemouth etc medium sized cichlids-tank.

Old March 1st 05, 03:42 AM
NetMax

"Ozdude" wrote in message

[...]

I have to admit to doing my share of impulse buying. Sometimes you see
some beautiful specimens, and you have some vague ideas of the
requirements from their closest relatives. Bring them home to a bare
tank (cover and filter) and then start researching and setting up a new
tank for them. I get away with it by having several tanks available, but
I know I should research first, not after (we can't be saints all the
time, when opportunity knocks... ;~).
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old March 1st 05, 09:30 AM
Ozdude

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..
I have to admit to doing my share of impulse buying. Sometimes you see
some beautiful specimens, and you have some vague ideas of the
requirements from their closest relatives. Bring them home to a bare tank
(cover and filter) and then start researching and setting up a new tank
for them. I get away with it by having several tanks available, but I
know I should research first, not after (we can't be saints all the time,
when opportunity knocks... ;~).

Ain't that the truth? I spotted a 100L cube tank today at the LFS, so I can
safely say I am catching MTS - but even so, careful species consideration
will be made before stocking it, if I get it.

At least I won't have to worry about buying real plants for it - mine are
growing so fast I am going to have excess soon.

I am slightly attracted to Cichlids, Angels and Discus, but I think I should
get my chemistry and water management understood and under control before I
contemplate any new additions.

As a side note about my current water problems (previous post) - I just
remembered that the LFS lady did tell me today when were discussing the
issues, that lots of her customers have been in over the last week claiming
their fish are just dying off - she says it's the tap water and that the TDS
levels are all over the place, and on top of that she supects there are
elevated levels of metals in it.

There isn't a lot we can do it seems, as the sources will be changing all
the time until the dams fill up, which is a way off yet. I dislike droughts
because they cause unstable water out of the tap as the water company
scrapes for every gallon they can get to maintain supply.

I can't afford a water purifier at this point in time, so I am just going to
have to watch it I think.

I think this also demonstrates another issue about impulse buying too - most
LFS's have huge shop wide filtration systems which aren't subject as
frequently as home tanks are, to water quality variations, so I'm starting
to think that patience isn't just the solution to impulse buying, but
knowledge of source water, target water and species are pretty important
before you part with your hard earned cash Informed is happy IMO

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old March 2nd 05, 01:57 AM
NetMax

"Ozdude" wrote in message
u...

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

snip

I think this also demonstrates another issue about impulse buying too -
most LFS's have huge shop wide filtration systems which aren't subject
as frequently as home tanks are, to water quality variations, so I'm
starting to think that patience isn't just the solution to impulse
buying, but knowledge of source water, target water and species are
pretty important before you part with your hard earned cash Informed
is happy IMO

Oz

Yup, this is where the hobby balloons out to include lots of technical
sciences, but in a fun way. You're not the first to encounter an
unstable water supply. Other than RO filtering, the other low tech
solution is to have BIG tanks with light fish loads. Your water change
quantity is a function of fish-load, so smaller water changes in large
tanks are much less susceptible to water parameter variations and toxins.
--
www.NetMax.tk