Engine rebuilding

Old July 28th 05, 06:01 AM
Jan

Grahame Rumballe wrote:

> "Kuebel Guy" >> wrote in
> message oups.com...
> > Ups!
> >
> > they are split type. so, better buy solid ones? sometimes is not easy
> > to select type from catalog.
> >
> > I am using new stock rods for a stock 1600.
> >
> > If I would like to hone bushings whats the best technique?
> >
> > cheers!
> >
> > carles
> >

> Honing is not the correct method. Honing follows the contours of the metal
> responding to dips and highs, you can never achieve a perfect circle.
> The correct procedure is to "ream" the bushes to suit your pin.
> With an installed new pin of 22mm (.8661 inch) you would be after .0004
> - .0008 radial play.
> So you "ream" the bush to suit.
> A good machine shop would be able to do this for you either using a
> straight or adjustible reamer.
>
> Check here <http://www.alvordpolk.com/catalog/dept.asp?id=54> for an
> example of what a "reamer" looks like.
>
> Grahame
> from Aus

Thanks for clearing that up, good reply Grahame!

Jan
Old July 28th 05, 09:23 AM
Kuebel Guy

Thanks!

Yes, reaming is the way to go. I do have a drill press and a lathe...

My problem here is that machine shops don't take small jobs, they
either do a full engine or refuse the work, so I am left to my own
here.

cheers

carles

Old July 30th 05, 12:12 AM
Jim Adney

On 28 Jul 2005 01:23:00 -0700 "Kuebel Guy" > wrote:

>My problem here is that machine shops don't take small jobs, they
>either do a full engine or refuse the work, so I am left to my own
>here.

You can always send them to RIMCO and get them completely rebuilt.
It's quite inexpensive, and getting them done on a proper rod machine
assures a matched set of rods with the same center to center distance.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old July 30th 05, 09:34 PM
Jan Andersson

Jim Adney wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2005 01:23:00 -0700 "Kuebel Guy" > wrote:
>
> >My problem here is that machine shops don't take small jobs, they
> >either do a full engine or refuse the work, so I am left to my own
> >here.

> You can always send them to RIMCO and get them completely rebuilt.
> It's quite inexpensive, and getting them done on a proper rod machine
> assures a matched set of rods with the same center to center distance.
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> Madison, WI 53711 USA

and all this work will be wasted if the cores had microscopic cracks in
them, like MOST stock rods do.
They'll work fine in a stock engine, but when you start demanding more
from them, they fail. And take the rest of the engine out with them.
They should at least be magnafluxed or x-rayed to inspect them for
cracks.

Carefully weigh the cost factors of reconditioning a set of old rods
against buying a set of new ones.
The scale will soon tip in favor of a new set that you should be able to
trust are good without questioning.

I'd sleep better at night knowing they were in perfect shape.

Jan
Old August 3rd 05, 11:25 AM
Kuebel Guy

Sending the rods to an international (I am not in USA) shop its quite a
hazle.

I do use new VW rods, and is a stock engine the one I am rebuilding.
My problem is that they don't come with wrist pin bushings inserted. I
did insert 'em it by myself but they are too tight for the 22mm wrist
pin. I will ream them, already ordered a reamer.

This kind of rods stand 100K+ in a stock engine..I do understand they
are not good for performance engines.

cheers!

carles