Generator light ghosts are back (Sorry if double posted)

Old July 31st 05, 11:07 PM
Karls

Default Generator light ghosts are back (Sorry if double posted)

Hi RAMVA!

A couple of weeks ago I had some problems with my gen light. It stayed
on after starting and the belt was ok. With Jim's help I found the
generator was not polarized, so, I did the procedure acording to Speedy
Jim's site and everything worked just fine. The gen light went off the
way it should be. But now my problems are back. This weekend, the GF
and I went on a 200Kms trip to the east end of the island. On the way
back (at about 100 Kms/H) the gen light suddenly went on. I stoped
inmediately to check the belt and it was OK. So, it has the same
symptoms as before. I got home and started thinking.

About 2 weeks before the first time with the problem I changed the
dizzy (wrong rotation toyota installed by PO) to a new 009 I had laying
around. The electronic dizzy had wires going to the + and - terminals
on the coil and also a wire connected to the bolt on the generator body
near the shroud. The 009 doesn't have this (obviously) so I just
installed It the way it should be, set the points, timing and carb, and
all was set. Now, I see it's been 2 more weeks since the first time
with this problem, so maybe it's related. Checked the wiring diagram
and noticed the bolt on the Generator body has a wire that goes to the
Regulator body. I don't have this wire (the electronic dizzy had a wire
there), can this be the cause of my
problems? Should I run a wire from the gen to the regulator as the
diagram says?

TIA,
Karls

Old August 1st 05, 01:31 AM
Speedy Jim

Karls wrote:
> Hi RAMVA!
>
> A couple of weeks ago I had some problems with my gen light. It stayed
> on after starting and the belt was ok. With Jim's help I found the
> generator was not polarized, so, I did the procedure acording to Speedy
> Jim's site and everything worked just fine. The gen light went off the
> way it should be. But now my problems are back. This weekend, the GF
> and I went on a 200Kms trip to the east end of the island. On the way
> back (at about 100 Kms/H) the gen light suddenly went on. I stoped
> inmediately to check the belt and it was OK. So, it has the same
> symptoms as before. I got home and started thinking.
>
> About 2 weeks before the first time with the problem I changed the
> dizzy (wrong rotation toyota installed by PO) to a new 009 I had laying
> around. The electronic dizzy had wires going to the + and - terminals
> on the coil and also a wire connected to the bolt on the generator body
> near the shroud. The 009 doesn't have this (obviously) so I just
> installed It the way it should be, set the points, timing and carb, and
> all was set. Now, I see it's been 2 more weeks since the first time
> with this problem, so maybe it's related. Checked the wiring diagram
> and noticed the bolt on the Generator body has a wire that goes to the
> Regulator body. I don't have this wire (the electronic dizzy had a wire
> there), can this be the cause of my
> problems? Should I run a wire from the gen to the regulator as the
> diagram says?
>
> TIA,
> Karls

You can run a wire, but it probably won't make any difference.
The regulator is grounded thru the mounting screws and the
Gen is grounded thru the pedestal.

Still......

If the ground doesn't sort it, do the Generator voltage test
in my Generator article.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 2nd 05, 05:37 PM
Karls Vladimir Peña

I just checked the generator. Between 2 and 4 volts. Did the polarization
procedure, it turned as it should, but after that, the voltage test still
shows about 3 volts. Tried again, no luck. the generator light still on and
the battery is not charging? what else can I do?

Karls

Old August 2nd 05, 05:58 PM

get a new generator.

Jen

Old August 2nd 05, 06:02 PM
Speedy Jim

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

> I just checked the generator. Between 2 and 4 volts. Did the polarization
> procedure, it turned as it should, but after that, the voltage test still
> shows about 3 volts. Tried again, no luck. the generator light still on and
> the battery is not charging? what else can I do?
>
> Karls

If the brushes are good (I know you checked),
there isn't any more you can do.

Replace it or, maybe, upgrade to Alternator.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old August 2nd 05, 06:45 PM
Karls Vladimir Peña

I'll go with the alternator option. Thanks for your help Jim.

Karls

Old August 2nd 05, 08:17 PM
Speedy Jim

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

> I'll go with the alternator option. Thanks for your help Jim.
>
> Karls

See the Conversion article on my web site.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old August 3rd 05, 04:35 AM
Karls Vladimir Peña

Already did that. looks really easy. My old super had an alternator. I
remember the + wire coming from it was really thick (10 or 8), both cables
on my generator are thinner. should I change the wire to a heavier gauge?

Karls

Old August 3rd 05, 05:54 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:37:09 -0400 "Karls Vladimir Peña"
> wrote:

>I just checked the generator. Between 2 and 4 volts. Did the polarization
>procedure, it turned as it should, but after that, the voltage test still
>shows about 3 volts. Tried again, no luck. the generator light still on and
>the battery is not charging? what else can I do?

If you did the test and the polarization right, then there must be
something wrong with the generator. In general, they are quite simple
to fix, but they are a real pain to remove from a type 1 engine. You
can check and replace the brushes in place, so that's where you should
start.

More serious problems will require more money and effort.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

E30 whining noise (back end) Pedro BMW 3 November 20th 04 07:54 AM
Saturn rear-ended at low speed, but back still hurts Rich Wales Saturn 0 October 27th 04 07:42 PM
Water in E39 back footwells Deep BMW 7 October 13th 04 11:35 PM
SL2 2002 back passenger window popping out Alissa122 Saturn 3 September 27th 04 08:17 PM
Problem: 146 Ti holds back..!? Stephan Alfa Romeo 3 July 22nd 04 08:38 PM