Dancing yuppie morons in Jetta ad

Old May 30th 05, 01:35 AM
Not a Yuppie

Default Dancing yuppie morons in Jetta ad

The most irritating TV spot I've seen in years is the recent Jetta ad
showing a flaky-looking young couple dancing and jumping around on the
floor, annoying their downstairs neighbor. They keep smiling like
dopes and don't care when he complains. There's something about the
look of these people that seems designed to irritate.

After ****ing off the neighbor (it gets passed off as humor), these
two stupid flakes are shown moving to a bigger house with a new
subwoofer and doing the same thing to their neighbors. The ad doesn't
seem to note that bass carries through walls to other houses; or maybe
the point is confused.

I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only
care about their own shallow fun.

Not A Yuppie

Old May 30th 05, 01:21 PM
Joseph Meehan

> I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only
> care about their own shallow fun.

I think that says it all. I believe the commercial alienates more
potential buyers than it attracts.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 30th 05, 03:42 PM
Michael A. Vickers

Joseph Meehan wrote:

>>I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only
>>care about their own shallow fun.

>I think that says it all. I believe the commercial alienates more
>potential buyers than it attracts.

The commercial with the business folks in the Jetta on the way to the
airport is quite funny, though -- where the young guy is driving and
the VIP in the passenger seat says "let's check the sports scores" and
is greeted with death metal when he turns the stereo on.

Michael

Old May 30th 05, 03:53 PM
Bert Hyman

In "Joseph Meehan"
> wrote:

>> I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only
>> care about their own shallow fun.
>>

> I think that says it all. I believe the commercial alienates more
> potential buyers than it attracts.

It's just another commercial that says "Our customers are idiots".

For some reason, it's the latest thing.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old May 30th 05, 04:08 PM
1.8 Turbo

> It's just another commercial that says "Our customers are idiots".
>
> For some reason, it's the latest thing.

This isn't a new phenomenon. Remember GTi in tree? Or the "well done"
Jetta commercial (with the two dudes sunburned on opposite sides of
their faces and arms)? Aren't these examples of older commercials
indicating "idiocy of customers"?

Frankly, I thought those commercials were funny. And I know several
non-vw freaks who think so too.

What's my point?

I don't think that vw's intent is to insult their potential clientele -
remember the adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity? The
purpose of any commercial is to make people notice the product. And I
think in VW's case, it's working. Wouldn't you agree?
Old May 30th 05, 06:54 PM
Joseph Meehan

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In "Joseph Meehan"
> > wrote:
>

>>> I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who
>>> only care about their own shallow fun.
>>>

>> I think that says it all. I believe the commercial alienates
>> more potential buyers than it attracts.

> It's just another commercial that says "Our customers are idiots".
>
> For some reason, it's the latest thing.

I preferred the old "What does the man who drives the snowplow drive to
work?" ad. I am even old enough to remember it. ?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 30th 05, 07:40 PM
Not a Yuppie

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:21:29 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
> wrote:

>> I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only
>> care about their own shallow fun.
>>

> I think that says it all. I believe the commercial alienates more
>potential buyers than it attracts.

It begs the old question: does media create culture or vice versa?
I think it works in both directions. Flakes have been around longer
than Jettas.

Not A Yuppie

Old May 30th 05, 09:27 PM
kaboom

On 30 May 2005 07:42:49 -0700, "Michael A. Vickers"
> wrote:

>Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>>>I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only
>>>care about their own shallow fun.

>>I think that says it all. I believe the commercial alienates more
>>potential buyers than it attracts.

>The commercial with the business folks in the Jetta on the way to the
>airport is quite funny, though -- where the young guy is driving and
>the VIP in the passenger seat says "let's check the sports scores" and
>is greeted with death metal when he turns the stereo on.

**Good! Anyone who gets into someone else's car and then starts
screwin' with the stereo without asking should be shoved out while
still moving!

kaboomie
Old May 30th 05, 11:38 PM
Rob Guenther

Must be an old ad - I read about it in a book :-O!... I've also seen it at a
dealership, on the wall, along with the "Lemon" add and several other
classics... Doesn't look like "yuppie couple" will make it into that league.

I'm waiting for some Golf ads, they've always been better. "Da da dum"
anyone? That was the ad from when I was a kid, back when the Mk3 came out.

Old May 30th 05, 11:52 PM

> **Good! Anyone who gets into someone else's car and then starts
> screwin' with the stereo without asking should be shoved out while
> still moving!
>
> kaboomie

It shouldn't be news that VW has long ago abandoned their traditional
constituency in their relentless push up-scale. I had the same
reaction to the young hipsters, but then I had to wonder how kids
instantly got the money to buy the house - dot.com millionaires? Not
honest gains in my admittedly old-school book. The death-metal spot
was mildly amusing - one time only. The driver was not that young
though - meaning he was just trying to be young.

Whoever VW used for ads in the past, they abviously aren't using them
any more. It doesn't help that ad agencies have become celebrities,
especially in the cars and booze categories. As a result, beer
companies here in canada are basically just trying to out-porn each
other (which then gets praised by journalistic types as 'edgy').
Commercials aren't commercials any more, they are usually just one
forced, lame joke or off-the-wall visual with no connection to the
product. I have to wonder: how does this ad I just endured sell
product, even to an extremely stupid person??
Fortunately I carry the defective gene that makes me immune to
advertising, but with the side effect of annoyance. Maybe not so
fortunate . . . end of rant.

h2only
(I love my 'rocco, but I wouldn't touch the newer stuff, at least not
until VW fixes the quality issues and makes a car that looks like a VW
and not a corolla.)

Jetta Rim Size Glenn VW water cooled 4 May 15th 05 05:21 AM
'95 Jetta III + OBD + clearing code2 XXninjatooXX VW water cooled 3 April 7th 05 12:23 PM
'95 Jetta has an electrical problem? XXninjatooXX VW water cooled 0 April 3rd 05 03:44 PM
2004 Jetta TDI Oil Change Question tug99 VW water cooled 16 December 1st 04 04:08 AM