proper pressure for 92 civic radiator cap?

Old January 2nd 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

Default proper pressure for 92 civic radiator cap?

can't find my manual...
13 psi or 16 psi?
thanks.
Old January 2nd 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

According to various parts sites, 16 psi.
E.g.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com

and

http://www.thepartsbin.com/

Old January 3rd 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Tegger" > wrote
>z > wrote
>> can't find my manual...
>> 13 psi or 16 psi?
>> thanks.

> All Civic-based vehicles use OEM ND 0.9 bar rad caps. This
> equates to
> 13psi. Do not use aftermarket 13psi rad caps.
>
> Do not use aftermarket 1.1 bar (16psi) rad caps on your
> Civic. In fact, do
> not use aftermarket rad caps at all.

The site http://catalog.drivewire.com has photos and shows
an ND rad cap for both the 91 and 92, the 91 Civic's rated
at 13 psi, the 92 Civic's at 16 psi.

Autozone's parts site specifies a 16 psi rad cap for the
1992 Civic, and a 13 psi rad cap for the 1991 Civic. The two
parts sites I gave earlier do the same.

The free online UK Factory Service Manual for the 95-97
Civic says the opening pressure is 14-18 psi.

Old January 3rd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote
>>z > wrote
>>> can't find my manual...
>>> 13 psi or 16 psi?
>>> thanks.

>> All Civic-based vehicles use OEM ND 0.9 bar rad caps. This
>> equates to
>> 13psi. Do not use aftermarket 13psi rad caps.
>>
>> Do not use aftermarket 1.1 bar (16psi) rad caps on your
>> Civic. In fact, do
>> not use aftermarket rad caps at all.

> The site http://catalog.drivewire.com has photos and shows
> an ND rad cap for both the 91 and 92, the 91 Civic's rated
> at 13 psi, the 92 Civic's at 16 psi.
>
> Autozone's parts site specifies a 16 psi rad cap for the
> 1992 Civic, and a 13 psi rad cap for the 1991 Civic. The two
> parts sites I gave earlier do the same.
>
> The free online UK Factory Service Manual for the 95-97
> Civic says the opening pressure is 14-18 psi.

My mistake. I had read the specs wrongly. The cap rating required is in
about the middle of the operating pressures specified the shop manuals, not
at the bottom of the range as I had previously thought.

The '92-'95 Civic does in fact use a 1.1 bar cap, as does the '96-'00
Civic. Looks like Honda went across the board with 1.1 around 1992.

Still, aftermarket caps are a bad idea.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 9th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On Jan 3, 2:03*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> "Elle" > wrote :
>

> > "Tegger" > wrote
> >>z > wrote

> >> All Civic-based vehicles use OEM ND 0.9 bar rad caps. This
> >> equates to
> >> 13psi. Do not use aftermarket 13psi rad caps.

> >> Do not use aftermarket 1.1 bar (16psi) rad caps on your
> >> Civic. In fact, do
> >> not use aftermarket rad caps at all.

> > The sitehttp://catalog.drivewire.comhas photos and shows
> > an ND rad cap for both the 91 and 92, the 91 Civic's rated
> > at 13 psi, the 92 Civic's at 16 psi.

> > Autozone's parts site specifies a 16 psi rad cap for the
> > 1992 Civic, and a 13 psi rad cap for the 1991 Civic. The two
> > parts sites I gave earlier do the same.

> > The free online UK Factory Service Manual for the 95-97
> > Civic says the opening pressure is 14-18 psi.

> My mistake. I had read the specs wrongly. The cap rating required is in
> about the middle of the operating pressures specified the shop manuals, not
> at the bottom of the range as I had previously thought.
>
> The '92-'95 Civic does in fact use a 1.1 bar cap, as does the '96-'00
> Civic. Looks like Honda went across the board with 1.1 around 1992.
>
> Still, aftermarket caps are a bad idea.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/- Hide quoted text -

so.... does anybody want to buy a neato Mr. Gasket aftermarket 13 psi
cap with a thermometer built in, that it turns out doesn't fit Hondas
anyway? (diameter is OK, but looks like it wants a taller radiator
neck)