New tyres best on rear wheels?

Old August 17th 04, 10:28 AM
Alex

Default New tyres best on rear wheels?

I will be getting two new tyres for my 2000 A3, as the front wheels treads
are wearing. A friend said that new tyres are best on the rear wheels (even
irrespective of whether FWD or RWD). Is this true or a myth?

Cheers

Old August 19th 04, 10:45 PM
Nige

"Alex" > wrote in message ...
> I will be getting two new tyres for my 2000 A3, as the front wheels treads
> are wearing. A friend said that new tyres are best on the rear wheels (even
> irrespective of whether FWD or RWD). Is this true or a myth?
>
> Cheers

When I took my motor vehicle C&G 381 I was told that the best treat goes on the front for many reasons,
the most obvious would be they do the steering (& driving on most cars) & that you will more likely
aquaplane with lower tread front tyres. However, I can see the reason for the rears to have the better
tyres too for reason given. I ALWAYS have my best on the front.

Old August 20th 04, 12:13 AM
Hairy One Kenobi

"Nige" > wrote in message

> "Alex" > wrote in message

> > I will be getting two new tyres for my 2000 A3, as the front wheels

treads
> > are wearing. A friend said that new tyres are best on the rear wheels

(even
> > irrespective of whether FWD or RWD). Is this true or a myth?

> When I took my motor vehicle C&G 381 I was told that the best treat goes

on the front for many reasons,
> the most obvious would be they do the steering (& driving on most cars) &

that you will more likely
> aquaplane with lower tread front tyres. However, I can see the reason for

the rears to have the better
> tyres too for reason given. I ALWAYS have my best on the front.

Bad move, for the reasons supplied above.

Even *more* of a bad move if you "help" unsuspecting (and often less
skilled) drivers by swapping tyres for them (in your role as a mechanic).

As goes reasoning (and to supplement the above arguments) - aquaplaning
happens on all four wheels. Given the choice, would you prefer to:

a) Play "dodge the tree" with not-very-responsive steering, or
b) Hit the damn thing side on without slowing significantly (toss a coin to
see if you've just seriously injured/killed yourself or "merely" your
passenger(s))

The argument applies in all weather conditions - very wet weather just makes
it a "bit" more obvious.

H1K (Associate of C&G Institute, if that counts for anything ;o)

Old August 22nd 04, 12:21 PM
Doug Ramage

&
> that you will more likely
> > aquaplane with lower tread front tyres. However, I can see the reason

for
> the rears to have the better
> > tyres too for reason given. I ALWAYS have my best on the front.

> Bad move, for the reasons supplied above.
>
> Even *more* of a bad move if you "help" unsuspecting (and often less
> skilled) drivers by swapping tyres for them (in your role as a mechanic).
>
> As goes reasoning (and to supplement the above arguments) - aquaplaning
> happens on all four wheels. Given the choice, would you prefer to:
>
> a) Play "dodge the tree" with not-very-responsive steering, or
> b) Hit the damn thing side on without slowing significantly (toss a coin

> see if you've just seriously injured/killed yourself or "merely" your
> passenger(s))
>
> The argument applies in all weather conditions - very wet weather just

makes
> it a "bit" more obvious.
>
> H1K (Associate of C&G Institute, if that counts for anything ;o)

New tyres should go on the rear - check out the tyre manufacturers'
websites.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old August 22nd 04, 11:36 PM
JP Roberts

While I agree with most of what's been said, I always enjoy driving my A4
1.8TQ better with the newest tyres at the front. This way, the car is very
responsive, more precise and gains some precious oversteer that is precisely
what I want to get on the dry if I'm thinking of enjoyment. For those with
Audi AWD who still don't believe what I'm saying you can try launching the
car - on a circuit or equivalent wide area - in 1st gear flat out with your
steering turned to the one side where there is space allowing free play. Be
ready to countersteer. Of course you should know you're shortening your
clutch's life and don't hold me responsible for anything going wrong.

For the average driver, slight understeer is easier to handle, for better
drivers it's boring. Now, having said that, heavy understeer is worse than
heavy oversteer for obvious reasons, so if it's slippery and the road is
either narrow or busy I will drive easy, but again, it's still preferable to
have the newest ones at the front because the deeper thread will delay
aquaplanning a bit further. Of course you then need to be paying more
attention to the rear.

JP Roberts

Old August 23rd 04, 05:59 AM
Scott

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:36:58 +0200, "JP Roberts" >
wrote:

>While I agree with most of what's been said, I always enjoy driving my A4
>1.8TQ better with the newest tyres at the front. This way, the car is very
>responsive, more precise and gains some precious oversteer that is precisely
>what I want to get on the dry
> [wet/slippery] it is still preferable to
>have the newest ones at the front because the deeper thread will delay
>aquaplanning a bit further.

I have always believed the above to be true. However I now have a Audi
A4 3.0 Quattro sport manual tranny and have changed my mind.
I have been driving the last 3 months with new tires up front and 2/3
worn tires on the rear. When it does get wet the handling is very
twitchy and non-progressive on sweepers.

After a couple of close calls I have replaced the rears.
Note, I have no problem with oversteer, and am able to use it to my
advantage on wet/snowy roads, but the oversteer with worn tires on the
rear was just too unpredictable.

I still prefer the newer tires on the front for my front-wheel-drive
vehicles and have driven them that way in all sorts of conditions.

Scott

Tyres again Tony Rickard Alfa Romeo 8 December 1st 04 09:17 PM
Tyres: Best foot forward? or back? Buzzardous Cross Alfa Romeo 38 August 21st 04 10:31 PM
New tyres best on rear wheels? Alex Audi 8 August 19th 04 09:03 PM
Silly question - can't get the wheels off my 156 JTS! Steve Knight Alfa Romeo 17 July 28th 04 08:53 PM
Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(still crossposting) Matt O'Toole Audi 18 May 13th 04 09:41 PM