Parking brake light comes on occasionally

Old September 2nd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark Bratcher

Default Parking brake light comes on occasionally

The parking brake light on the dash of my 2000 Concorde LX comes on
occasionally even though the parking brake is not engaged. The brake is
a pedal and it's fully disengaged (pulled up) so the light is not do to
it being partially pressed from what I can tell. Anyone have any idea
what could cause this?

Thanks.
Old September 2nd 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Mark Bratcher" > wrote in message
> The parking brake light on the dash of my 2000 Concorde LX comes on
> occasionally even though the parking brake is not engaged. The brake is
> a pedal and it's fully disengaged (pulled up) so the light is not do to
> it being partially pressed from what I can tell. Anyone have any idea
> what could cause this?
>
> Thanks.

Make sure the master cylinder is at the correct level. If it is low the
brake lite will also come on.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 2nd 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Old September 2nd 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark Bratcher

maxpower wrote:
> "Mark Bratcher" > wrote in message
>> The parking brake light on the dash of my 2000 Concorde LX comes on
>> occasionally even though the parking brake is not engaged. The brake is
>> a pedal and it's fully disengaged (pulled up) so the light is not do to
>> it being partially pressed from what I can tell. Anyone have any idea
>> what could cause this?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Make sure the master cylinder is at the correct level. If it is low the
> brake lite will also come on.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Thanks Glenn. I checked the brake fluid level under the hood and it
looked OK. Any other thoughts on what it might be?
Old September 2nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Mark Bratcher > writes:

> maxpower wrote:
> > "Mark Bratcher" > wrote in message
> >> The parking brake light on the dash of my 2000 Concorde LX comes on
> >> occasionally even though the parking brake is not engaged. The brake is
> >> a pedal and it's fully disengaged (pulled up) so the light is not do to
> >> it being partially pressed from what I can tell. Anyone have any idea
> >> what could cause this?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Make sure the master cylinder is at the correct level. If it is low
> > the
> > brake lite will also come on.
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech
> >

> Thanks Glenn. I checked the brake fluid level under the hood and it
> looked OK. Any other thoughts on what it might be?

You need to have the brake system thoroughly inspected. The light is
warning you that half the brake system is doing 'way too much work;
there is Something Wrong. Look for leaks, inspect the pads, look for
signs of dragging. The FSM has the most likely problems, go through
its list. If you don't own an FSM, take it to a brake shop.
Old September 3rd 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Mark Bratcher" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
> > "Mark Bratcher" > wrote in message
> >> The parking brake light on the dash of my 2000 Concorde LX comes on
> >> occasionally even though the parking brake is not engaged. The brake is
> >> a pedal and it's fully disengaged (pulled up) so the light is not do to
> >> it being partially pressed from what I can tell. Anyone have any idea
> >> what could cause this?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Make sure the master cylinder is at the correct level. If it is low the
> > brake lite will also come on.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech
> >

> Thanks Glenn. I checked the brake fluid level under the hood and it
> looked OK. Any other thoughts on what it might be?

Well you didn't mention anything about the brake pedal feel so it could be a
pressure problem. If the master cylinder is full and the emergency pedal is
in the full retract position the next thing to check would be a faulty
emergency brake switch. You can disconnect the switch the next time it turns
on to see if that is the problem (located on the ratchet assembly) or if
you think it is a pressure related problem you should have a qualified
person take a look at it.

Glenn

Old September 3rd 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Old September 4th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark Bratcher

maxpower wrote:
> "Mark Bratcher" > wrote in message
>> maxpower wrote:

>>> Make sure the master cylinder is at the correct level. If it is low the
>>> brake lite will also come on.
>>>
>>> Glenn Beasley
>>> Chrysler Tech
>>>

>> Thanks Glenn. I checked the brake fluid level under the hood and it
>> looked OK. Any other thoughts on what it might be?

> Well you didn't mention anything about the brake pedal feel so it could be a
> pressure problem. If the master cylinder is full and the emergency pedal is
> in the full retract position the next thing to check would be a faulty
> emergency brake switch. You can disconnect the switch the next time it turns
> on to see if that is the problem (located on the ratchet assembly) or if
> you think it is a pressure related problem you should have a qualified
> person take a look at it.
>
> Glenn

OK, just discovered something... the parking brake pedal seems to, on
it's own drift down a little, activating the brake light. If I engage
the pedal and pull the brake release, the pedal doesn't fully return: it
has to be manually pulled up. Does the pedal mechanism include some kind
of spring that releases it properly? If so, maybe mine's broken.
Old September 4th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 23:37:11 GMT, Mark Bratcher
> wrote:

>OK, just discovered something... the parking brake pedal seems to, on
>it's own drift down a little, activating the brake light. If I engage
>the pedal and pull the brake release, the pedal doesn't fully return: it
>has to be manually pulled up. Does the pedal mechanism include some kind
>of spring that releases it properly? If so, maybe mine's broken. <snip>

Gee, ya think?
Old September 4th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark Bratcher

DeserTBoB wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 23:37:11 GMT, Mark Bratcher
> > wrote:
>
>> OK, just discovered something... the parking brake pedal seems to, on
>> it's own drift down a little, activating the brake light. If I engage
>> the pedal and pull the brake release, the pedal doesn't fully return: it
>> has to be manually pulled up. Does the pedal mechanism include some kind
>> of spring that releases it properly? If so, maybe mine's broken. <snip>

> Gee, ya think?

Smart-alec comments aside, I wasn't sure because I don't know if the
pedal uses a spring mechanism, or whether it recoils from some other
force on the pedal. I was hoping to receive some guidance in that area
since my Chilton manual doesn't describe it in much detail.

Anyone here have a *useful* suggestion?

Thanks.