156 head light beam pattern

Old August 31st 04, 12:53 AM
Martyn

Default 156 head light beam pattern

Dear all 156 owners,
I had a real shock this week, as I took my immaculate 2001 156
sportwagon in for its first mot test.
I have owned this car from new, and only covered 5700 miles, so no
wear and tear
almost as new.
The tester refused to pass my car as the front off side head lamp beam
pattern was "flaring" how ever he agreed that the actual alignment was
ok according to his light tester box, but the actual pattern was not
acceptable to pass the mot.
I have checked the part numbers of my head lamp units with a main
dealership, and they are the correct part for a uk rhd car, they
suggested that I check to see if the bulb was installed correctly, ie.
with the tag at the top in the bulb holder, it is, but just to be on
the safe side I did rotate it and returned for a free re test the next
morning, still failed, so at the test station I once again rotated the
offending bulb and they rechecked the beam
pattern, still no pass, but the beam position is correct, as the
tester agreed.
So what is the answer ? unless some one at the factory fitted a unit
with a faulty reflector I cannot work out the problem, the nearside
light is perfect, the aim of both is correct.
Any one else experienced such a problem on a 2001 car. ??
Please answer because I need to re tax asap.
Martyn.
Old August 31st 04, 09:00 AM
Ppelectron

>Dear all 156 owners,
>I had a real shock this week, as I took my immaculate 2001 156
>sportwagon in for its first mot test.
>I have owned this car from new, and only covered 5700 miles, so no
>wear and tear
>almost as new.
>The tester refused to pass my car as the front off side head lamp beam
>pattern was "flaring" how ever he agreed that the actual alignment was
>ok according to his light tester box, but the actual pattern was not
>acceptable to pass the mot.
>I have checked the part numbers of my head lamp units with a main
>dealership, and they are the correct part for a uk rhd car, they
>suggested that I check to see if the bulb was installed correctly, ie.
>with the tag at the top in the bulb holder, it is, but just to be on
>the safe side I did rotate it and returned for a free re test the next
>morning, still failed, so at the test station I once again rotated the
>offending bulb and they rechecked the beam
>pattern, still no pass, but the beam position is correct, as the
>tester agreed.
>So what is the answer ? unless some one at the factory fitted a unit
>with a faulty reflector I cannot work out the problem, the nearside
>light is perfect, the aim of both is correct.
>Any one else experienced such a problem on a 2001 car. ??
>Please answer because I need to re tax asap.
>Martyn.

I would let an Alfa dealer look at it. It will probably be quicker and cheaper
in the long run. Don't forget the automatic penalty for not taxing cars on
time. It's good to see that the government have their priorities right when it
comes to cracking crime...
Old August 31st 04, 12:25 PM
David A Stocks

"Martyn" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear all 156 owners,
> I had a real shock this week, as I took my immaculate 2001 156
> sportwagon in for its first mot test.
> I have owned this car from new, and only covered 5700 miles, so no
> wear and tear
> almost as new.
> The tester refused to pass my car as the front off side head lamp beam
> pattern was "flaring" how ever he agreed that the actual alignment was
> ok according to his light tester box, but the actual pattern was not
> acceptable to pass the mot.
> I have checked the part numbers of my head lamp units with a main
> dealership, and they are the correct part for a uk rhd car, they
> suggested that I check to see if the bulb was installed correctly, ie.
> with the tag at the top in the bulb holder, it is, but just to be on
> the safe side I did rotate it and returned for a free re test the next
> morning, still failed, so at the test station I once again rotated the
> offending bulb and they rechecked the beam
> pattern, still no pass, but the beam position is correct, as the
> tester agreed.
> So what is the answer ? unless some one at the factory fitted a unit
> with a faulty reflector I cannot work out the problem, the nearside
> light is perfect, the aim of both is correct.
> Any one else experienced such a problem on a 2001 car. ??
> Please answer because I need to re tax asap.
> Martyn.

I had a similar problem at the last MoT test - this was a 2000 car. Luckily,
I was the last test of the day and I had arrived early so the tester had
some time in hand. It was a matter of fiddling the bulb in the holder (with
the lights on) until the correct beam pattern was obtained. I would try
fitting a new bulb and make sure that before you latch the securing clip
that the beam pattern matches that from the other headlamp. If you have to
force anything it is likely that the resulting beam pattern will be wrong.

D A Stocks

Old August 31st 04, 01:44 PM
Catman

Ppelectron wrote:

<snip>

> I would let an Alfa dealer look at it. It will probably be quicker and
> cheaper in the long run. Don't forget the automatic penalty for not taxing
> cars on time. It's good to see that the government have their priorities
> right when it comes to cracking crime...

I'd probably take it somwhere else for the MOT.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS (two off)
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 31st 04, 06:06 PM
Pete

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:25:13 -0000, "David A Stocks"
>, wrote:

>I had a similar problem at the last MoT test - this was a 2000 car. Luckily,
>I was the last test of the day and I had arrived early so the tester had
>some time in hand. It was a matter of fiddling the bulb in the holder (with
>the lights on) until the correct beam pattern was obtained. I would try
>fitting a new bulb and make sure that before you latch the securing clip
>that the beam pattern matches that from the other headlamp. If you have to
>force anything it is likely that the resulting beam pattern will be wrong.
>
>D A Stocks

My 156 had its first MOT a couple of months ago at the main-dealer.
They failed the headlights too. With only 13,000 miles on the clock from
new. I refused to pay for the new bulbs and the fitting, as I insisted that
they must have been fitted faulty from new.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old September 1st 04, 05:41 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: (Martyn)
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: 30 Aug 2004 16:53:57 -0700
> Subject: 156 head light beam pattern
>
> I had a real shock this week, as I took my immaculate 2001 156
> sportwagon in for its first mot test.
> I have owned this car from new, and only covered 5700 miles, so no
> wear and tear

5700 miles in 3 years? now that is some low mileage.

Old September 2nd 04, 01:19 AM
Martyn

Tom Boltwood > wrote in message >...
> > From: (Martyn)
> > Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> > Date: 30 Aug 2004 16:53:57 -0700
> > Subject: 156 head light beam pattern
> >
> > I had a real shock this week, as I took my immaculate 2001 156
> > sportwagon in for its first mot test.
> > I have owned this car from new, and only covered 5700 miles, so no
> > wear and tear

> 5700 miles in 3 years? now that is some low mileage.

Thanks to all you guys who offered advice concerning my head light
pattern.
Good news is (following some of your advice)
I went to a main Alfa/Fiat dealership (Cleveland of Aldershot Hants)
and was treated with the up most courtesy, they really could not have
been more helpful and knowledgeable, nice bunch.
The outcome was that one of the service team just whizzed the car
straight into the workshop, "most of the techs were at tea break"
anyway they reset the lights
checked the bulbs, and in 10 minutes I was on my way no charge happy
to help.
I then went back to the mot place and it passed without a hitch, taxed
and done.
The answer was headlamp not set correctly from new, and bulb not
seated correctly. Now I can go out after dark and clock up some more
miles, but not when it is raining.....
Martyn.
Old September 2nd 04, 08:55 PM
Alfistagj

"Martyn" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Good news is (following some of your advice)
> I went to a main Alfa/Fiat dealership (Cleveland of Aldershot Hants)
> and was treated with the up most courtesy, they really could not have
> been more helpful and knowledgeable, nice bunch.
> The outcome was that one of the service team just whizzed the car
> straight into the workshop, "most of the techs were at tea break"
> anyway they reset the lights
> checked the bulbs, and in 10 minutes I was on my way no charge happy
> to help.

Looks like Alfa's new UK service manager is getting things under control!!

> The answer was headlamp not set correctly from new, and bulb not
> seated correctly. Now I can go out after dark and clock up some more
> miles, but not when it is raining.....

Why not in the rain.
Firestone tyres??

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old September 3rd 04, 02:38 PM
Martyn

"Alfistagj" > wrote in message news:<XUKZc.277$L43.67@amstwist00>...
> "Martyn" > schreef in bericht
> om...
> > Good news is (following some of your advice)
> > I went to a main Alfa/Fiat dealership (Cleveland of Aldershot Hants)
> > and was treated with the up most courtesy, they really could not have
> > been more helpful and knowledgeable, nice bunch.
> > The outcome was that one of the service team just whizzed the car
> > straight into the workshop, "most of the techs were at tea break"
> > anyway they reset the lights
> > checked the bulbs, and in 10 minutes I was on my way no charge happy
> > to help.

> Looks like Alfa's new UK service manager is getting things under control!!
>
> > The answer was headlamp not set correctly from new, and bulb not
> > seated correctly. Now I can go out after dark and clock up some more
> > miles, but not when it is raining.....

> Why not in the rain.
> Firestone tyres??

No I am on Michelin Pilot Sport, in the rain well it could get dirty
underneath, the joke used to be in my days of driving a "Fulvia
Zagato" dont get it wet, same when I had an Aurelia.
Yes I know its all different now, I only use it if I have to, not much
fun out there with all those cameras.
Martyn.