perf mods for LS1 reccomendations

Old January 3rd 05, 01:30 AM

Default perf mods for LS1 reccomendations

Hey,

with a stock 2001 LS1 350 horse.
I'm thinking more air in & better exhaust flow......
I'm looking for relatively inexpensive upgrades for intake & exhaust
Can anybody suggest brand names , (corsa , Borland?, K & N) places to buy,
And what kinda results to expect.

i.e. If I go & bolt on a K&N Gen. II Intake Kit (FIPK) Do I need to
readjust the sensors? computer ? etc?
Thanks

Old January 3rd 05, 05:23 PM

best aftermrkt air intake LS1
Just read about a Vortex Air box.....Are these things worth their salt? Do
they require reprogramming?
Thanks

Old January 3rd 05, 05:23 PM

Old January 3rd 05, 07:29 PM
C5Guy

M.

A lot of the part supplier web sites (Ecklers, Mid American, West Coast)
have links within them that shows "suggested" upgrades....

Might be worth a look.....

C:>

Old January 3rd 05, 07:29 PM
C5Guy

Old January 4th 05, 04:25 PM
Charlie Funk

>Are these things worth their salt?

Salt maybe, money maybe not.

Corvette Fever did a dyno test of a two or three of these things using "high
flow" filters and found that as long as the engine compartment was cool,
there was maybe a 12-15 hp gain. As they continued to run tests and the
underhood temperature reached equilibrium, like you would have in the real
world of driving, there was NO horsepower improvement. The only way they
could get the hp gain to come back was by opening the hood. The drag
coefficient for the C5 goes up so much when you raise the hood that the hp
gain is probably negated. The drag coefficient is made even higher by the
driver's head hanging out the side window to have forward visibility because
THE FRICKIN HOOD IS UP.

Corvette Fever and other mags are in a real jam with this kind of testing
because the companies that sell these things spend serious money on
advertising. If Corvette Fever or any mag comes out and says these add-ons
don't work, they take a major hit in the wallet.

About 18 months ago CF did another study of several different models of C2,
3, 4, and 5, both stock and with the add ons that make all the horsepower
that the engineers at GM were too dumb to find. If you sort through all the
numbers, the turbulence generators, the flow straighteners that stop
turbulence (figure that one out - how can making and stopping it both be
good), airfoils, low restriction air filters and on and on make MAYBE
another 3 or 4 hp. The only problem with this is that there is enough
variability in one run on a dyno to the next and enough variation from one
engine to another, built exactly alike, to make these "gains" statistically
meaningless.

Exhaust systems may be another story altogether, but the original post was
about the magical intake mods available.

--
Charlie Funk
Just Cruisin' Plus

Old January 4th 05, 04:25 PM
Charlie Funk

Old January 4th 05, 10:54 PM

Thanks,
So Your saying I will realize a better performance gain by changing out
exhausts.

Corvette fever recommends a bullet muffler package ( 22hp)
What does an X pipe do?
Is "cat back exhaust" from the cats back? or should one replace the cats
with a "test" pipe??
shouldnt a person doing this in stages go with 3" or otherwise stock sizes
& replace items from rear of vehicle to eventual headers as budget allows?
Thanks in advance
Mike

Old January 4th 05, 10:54 PM

Old January 4th 05, 11:27 PM
JustCallMe Norman

'What does an X pipe do? '

ME: It equalizes the pulsations from both heads. You get a scavenging
effect in the exhaust ports too. It will change the sound coming out of
your exhaust ... usually a deeper resonant sound especially at lower
rpms. On mine, it made the exhaust alot quieter especially at speeds
above 50 mph. It 'seems' the performance picked up a tad at lower
speeds -- at least i think so.