frozen brakes

Old February 27th 05, 12:47 AM
Briarpatch

Default frozen brakes

OK. I give up. UNCLE!!

The rear brakes on my 67 bug have frozen.
(Yes the emergency brake is off ...)

When I started trying to repair it, I couldn't get the
brake drum off because the brakes were "on" constantly.
After trying several ways to get it loose, I tried
loosening the bleeder screw and suddenly the wheel
started turning, indicating that the brakes were off
and the drum could be removed.

After checking out the wheel cylinders (making sure
they weren't frozen and/or dirty on the inside), I
tightened the bleeder screw and had someone press on
the brakes. The wheel cylinders extended fully and
pushed the brake pads outward. When my friend took
her foot off the brakes, the wheel cylinders didn't
return to the "off" position. The return spring was
in place and seemed tight enough, but it was only
when I loosened the bleeder screw that the wheel
cylinders came to rest in the "off" position.

It's almost like something in the brake hydraulic
system is acting like a one way valve, allowing fluid
pressure to go to the cylinder, but not allowing it to
flow back out of the cylinder. Is the master cylinder
broken? I don't know: I've never heard of anyone having
a problem quite like this.

Thanks for any insights/suggestions.

Chip
San Francisco, CA

Old February 27th 05, 03:07 AM
Gary Tateosian

Briarpatch wrote:
....replace rubber brake hoses...they have collapsed. At this point you
should very seriously consider a complete brake system overhaul...its
pretty cheap, and while your safety may or may not be important....mine
certainely is if you are driving on the roads. <g>

....Gareth