very, VERY strange...

Old December 23rd 04, 07:29 PM
bigbossfan80

Default very, VERY strange...

It's been about 8 months now since anything has gone wrong with my 89
Cutlass Supreme. I was starting to like not having to repair or
replace, and instead just maintain!

But lastnight I drove to Mississauga, Ontario to pick-up my brother.
It's an hour and a half drive on the highway. Going there, everything
was smooth as always. But, on the way back, about 20 minutes from
home, I noticed quite a violent shaking and vibration through the gas
pedal, floor board, and especially steering wheel/column. For some
reason I thought right away that it was a transmission thing, but then
I realized it was doing it in every gear, and ONLY when I was at a
certain throttle point.

For example, if I was 0-20% on the throttle, it was fine, 20-50%, it
was shaking violently and wouldn't accelerate, and 50%+, it was
fine!??

It was also making loud, almost grinding noises. And the steering
wheel shaking could be heard as well as fealt. Same with the gas
pedal itself, I could feel it pulsating really violently in my foot.

Needless to say I was very worried. Once I got onto city streets, I
noticed it would even do it in 1st gear while starting to accelerate
initially, then once I got past the throttle point in which it woud
shake and rattle, it would stop until I was in the next gear and back
at that same throttle point.

It kind of felt to me like something was all-of-a-sudden very loose,
like something in the steering rack, column, or drive-line. My
brother is under the impression that it didn't start doing this until
I had accidently drove over too far on the left hand side and ran over
all those closely placed BUMPY things to make you slow down. But I am
not sure this is the case...

Anyways, what makes this SO strange, is that once I got off the
highway and to my parents house, I shut the car off, parked it, and
went inside for about 20 minutes. Then, when I went to leave to go
home, I noticed that the shaking and vibrating was completely GONE!!!!
What the hell!!?? Simply shutting the car off and parking it for 20
minutes has somehow cured the problem!!?? I drove all lastnight and
so-far today and it has not done the same thing once! Not even a
little bit!

So this has me totally flabergasted. Because I could see if it were
an engine problem, then maybe reseting the engine by turning it off
could possibly fix it, but this in no way felt like an engine problem
at all! It felt completely like something was phyically damaged or
disturbed. Maybe I'm wrong? I mean, I know when an engine has a
mis-fire like a bad coil that the engine will shake violently under
load, so maybe this is the case, but it definately didn't feel like it
to me...

Anyone have any input to this crazy story??

THANKS GUYS!

Merry X-mas
Old December 23rd 04, 08:28 PM
Mike Romain

Just a wild guess, but I would be checking the rad fan for a busted
clutch.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 23rd 04, 11:43 PM

On 23 Dec 2004 10:29:05 -0800, (bigbossfan80) wrote:

||It's been about 8 months now since anything has gone wrong with my 89
||Cutlass Supreme. I was starting to like not having to repair or
||replace, and instead just maintain!
||But lastnight I drove to Mississauga, Ontario to pick-up my brother.
||It's an hour and a half drive on the highway. Going there, everything
||was smooth as always. But, on the way back, about 20 minutes from
||home, I noticed quite a violent shaking and vibration through the gas
||pedal, floor board, and especially steering wheel/column. For some
||reason I thought right away that it was a transmission thing, but then
||I realized it was doing it in every gear, and ONLY when I was at a
||certain throttle point.
||For example, if I was 0-20% on the throttle, it was fine, 20-50%, it
||was shaking violently and wouldn't accelerate, and 50%+, it was
||fine!??
||It was also making loud, almost grinding noises. And the steering
||wheel shaking could be heard as well as fealt. Same with the gas
||pedal itself, I could feel it pulsating really violently in my foot.
||Needless to say I was very worried. Once I got onto city streets, I
||noticed it would even do it in 1st gear while starting to accelerate
||initially, then once I got past the throttle point in which it woud
||shake and rattle, it would stop until I was in the next gear and back
||at that same throttle point.
||It kind of felt to me like something was all-of-a-sudden very loose,
||like something in the steering rack, column, or drive-line. My
||brother is under the impression that it didn't start doing this until
||I had accidently drove over too far on the left hand side and ran over
||all those closely placed BUMPY things to make you slow down. But I am
||not sure this is the case...
||Anyways, what makes this SO strange, is that once I got off the
||highway and to my parents house, I shut the car off, parked it, and
||went inside for about 20 minutes. Then, when I went to leave to go
||home, I noticed that the shaking and vibrating was completely GONE!!!!
|| What the hell!!?? Simply shutting the car off and parking it for 20
||minutes has somehow cured the problem!!?? I drove all lastnight and
||so-far today and it has not done the same thing once! Not even a
||little bit!
||So this has me totally flabergasted. Because I could see if it were
||an engine problem, then maybe reseting the engine by turning it off
||could possibly fix it, but this in no way felt like an engine problem
||at all! It felt completely like something was phyically damaged or
||disturbed. Maybe I'm wrong? I mean, I know when an engine has a
||mis-fire like a bad coil that the engine will shake violently under
||load, so maybe this is the case, but it definately didn't feel like it
||to me...

Maybe you threw some slush up into somewhere it should be, and it froze?
That could cause an imbalance or other unpleasantries.
Texas Parts Guy
Old December 24th 04, 03:07 AM
Roger Maxwell

An '89 Cutlass doesn't have a radiator fan with a clutch. It's a FWD,
transverse engine with an electric fan.

Roger

Old December 24th 04, 03:32 AM
Bob

That all depends whether it's a Supreme or a Ciera
Bob

Old December 24th 04, 05:51 PM
Eightupman

I agree with the slushie theory. Ice buildup inside the wheel (after going
off the road onto the bumpy things) will throw it off blance. Centrifigal
force will keep it there. Stop in the driveway, and the slushie falls away,
and voila, problem gone.

Old December 24th 04, 11:17 PM
Nate Nagel

gfulton wrote:

> "Eightupman" > wrote in message
> news >
>>I agree with the slushie theory. Ice buildup inside the wheel (after

> going
>
>>off the road onto the bumpy things) will throw it off blance. Centrifigal
>>force will keep it there. Stop in the driveway, and the slushie falls

> away,
>
>>and voila, problem gone.
>>

> snippage
>
>>>Maybe you threw some slush up into somewhere it should be, and it froze?
>>>That could cause an imbalance or other unpleasantries.
>>>Texas Parts Guy

> Had a drunk run me off the road into a muddy ditch early one foggy morning.
> After the wrecker pulled me out, I had terrible vibration from the front end
> of my Chevy pickup. Mud had stuck into the inside of the LH front rim.
>
> Garrett Fulton

People say I'm nuts for waxing the *insides* of my rims (whenever I buy
an old car, if the rims have bad paint on them, I refinish them the
first time I buy tires) but this is exactly why I do it. If something
does stick to the rim, I just turn a hose on it and it is all better.
Besides, a rim that is clean and is consistently kept clean is better
balanced than one that is let to get tar, gunk etc. on it.

I mean, I am kind of anal retentive about my car too, but there is a
good reason for that particular activity

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 24th 04, 11:46 PM
gfulton

"Eightupman" > wrote in message
news
> I agree with the slushie theory. Ice buildup inside the wheel (after

going
> off the road onto the bumpy things) will throw it off blance. Centrifigal
> force will keep it there. Stop in the driveway, and the slushie falls

away,
> and voila, problem gone.

snippage

Old December 25th 04, 09:22 PM
Roger Maxwell

Leviticus 26:29

Roast Child with Cornbread Stuffing

Turkey may be substituted for this classic holiday feast.
Although time consuming, this dish seems to take longer than it actually does;
as the entire house is filled with such a heavenly aroma,
the waiting becomes almost unbearable.

1 whole child, cleaned and de-headed
1 batch cornbread stuffing (see index)
½ cup melted butter

Remove the giblets from the infant and set aside.
Stuff the cavity where the child?s genitals and anus were located
using ½ cup per pound of meat.
Tie the arms flat to the body, then pull the skin flaps up to close the cavity.
Now tie the thighs up tight to hold it all together.
Place breast side up in a large metal roasting pan.
Bake in 325° oven covered for 2 hours.
Remove cover, stick a cooking thermometer deep into one of the
baby?s buttocks and cook uncovered till thermometer reads 190°,
about another hour.

Pro-Choice Po-Boy

Soft-shelled crabs serve just as well in this classic southern delicacy.
The sandwich originated in New Orleans, where an abundance of abortion clinics
thrive and hot French bread is always available.

2 cleaned fetuses, head on
2 eggs
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 cup seasoned flour
oil enough for deep frying
1 loaf French bread
Lettuce
tomatoes
mayonnaise, etc.

Marinate the fetuses in the egg-mustard mixture.
Dredge thoroughly in flour.
Fry at 375° until crispy golden brown.
Remove and place on paper towels.

Holiday Youngster

One can easily adapt this recipe to ham, though as presented,
it violates no religious taboos against swine.

1 large toddler or small child, cleaned and de-headed
Kentucky Bourbon Sauce (see index)
1 large can pineapple slices
Whole cloves

Place him (or ham) or her in a large glass baking dish, buttocks up.
Tie with butcher string around and across so that he looks like
he?s crawling.
Glaze, then arrange

Old December 25th 04, 09:25 PM
Bob

a baking pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions,
celery, green onions, and parsley.
Place roast on top with fat side up.
Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°.
Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest.
Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and
place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque à l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good
silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or
lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically
made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells;
make patties if shell or head is not available
(such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby).
Flour
oil
onions
bell peppers
garlic salt, pepper, etc.
3 cups chicken stock
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index)
then fry or bake.
Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Make a roux with butter, oil and flour,
brown vegetables in the roux, then add chicken stock and
allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the patties or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish,
lobster, long piglet, or what have you.
Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least
15 minutes more.
Serve over steamed rice; this dish is very impressive!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Babies really can be found under a cabbage leaf -
or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sau

he will kill dull books throughout the strange bitter forest, whilst Zack wickedly creeps them too Retarded Dyke General 0 January 14th 05 09:12 PM
many proud strange hen irritates envelopes among Beth's new frame Y. Y. Imbruglia General 0 January 14th 05 08:41 PM
Strange Idle pankajg General 0 December 17th 04 10:50 PM
Strange engine noise & high idle 98 SL ahr888 Saturn 0 December 6th 04 06:30 PM