Cylinder heads

Old October 23rd 04, 04:23 PM
Volksrod70

Default Cylinder heads

I'm building my first performance VW engine, a 1776, new case, cast
69mm flyweighted balanced crank, reconditioned VW rods, Engle 110 cam,
I won't bore you with the rest.
My real question is that I ordered CB 044 heads 40mm x 35.5mm ss
valves w/ single springs, and recieved Empi part #98-1361-B, they
appear to be of the same specs, did I get a good alternative or should
I return them?
Also what do I use for marking compound in which to leave an imprint
so I can port match the manifolds?
Thanks for any help.
Old October 23rd 04, 06:28 PM
John Connolly

sounds like Bait and Switch to me

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

m...

Old October 24th 04, 01:45 AM
Kaferdave

Did you order them from CB directly? If so, they would have sent you thier 044
heads, *NOT* EMPI ones...there is a difference.
Old October 24th 04, 06:09 AM
Volksrod70

"John Connolly" > wrote in message >...
> sounds like Bait and Switch to me
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc.
>
> "Volksrod70" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I'm building my first performance VW engine, a 1776, new case, cast
> > 69mm flyweighted balanced crank, reconditioned VW rods, Engle 110 cam,
> > I won't bore you with the rest.
> > My real question is that I ordered CB 044 heads 40mm x 35.5mm ss
> > valves w/ single springs, and recieved Empi part #98-1361-B, they
> > appear to be of the same specs, did I get a good alternative or should
> > I return them?
> > Also what do I use for marking compound in which to leave an imprint
> > so I can port match the manifolds?
> > Thanks for any help.

I already thought of the old "Bait & Switch" gig, but I don't have any
real proof of this head being less than the 044.
Anyone know the real facts??
Old October 24th 04, 06:20 AM
John Connolly

an "044 head" will have "044" cast into the head in the valvecover area
under the valves and springs. If it does not say "044" it is not an 044
casting head, which is what you say they said it was. I'd have an issue with
that if I was in your shoes.

now if they said it was a "big valve head" but did not specify the casting,
then they appear to have done nothing wrong. You know what they said or not,
so the ball is in your court.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Old October 24th 04, 06:41 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: volksrod70

>I already thought of the old "Bait & Switch" gig, but I don't have any
>real proof of this head being less than the 044.
>Anyone know the real facts??

"less" than or equal to does not matter...if you ordered 044's and got
something else you seem to be the victim of the bait and switch....as far as
the performance of the head vs. the 044 i can't comment...
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old October 24th 04, 12:24 PM
Kaferdave

so I odered them
from a shop in California.

So you did not, in fact, order them from CB Performance, in Farmersville, CA.
I agree with John, if the "shop in California" said they were 044 heads, and
what was sent to you did not have 044 embossed in the rocker arm box area
underneath where the rocker arms and shafts reside, then what they said they
had, was not what you got.
Old October 24th 04, 05:08 PM
Max Welton

On 23 Oct 2004 22:09:14 -0700, Volksrod70 > wrote:

> "John Connolly" > wrote in message
>> sounds like Bait and Switch to me
>>
>> John
>> Aircooled.Net Inc.
>>
>> "Volksrod70" > wrote in message
>> m...
>> > I'm building my first performance VW engine, a 1776, new case, cast
>> > 69mm flyweighted balanced crank, reconditioned VW rods, Engle 110 cam,
>> > I won't bore you with the rest.
>> > My real question is that I ordered CB 044 heads 40mm x 35.5mm ss
>> > valves w/ single springs, and recieved Empi part #98-1361-B, they
>> > appear to be of the same specs, did I get a good alternative or should
>> > I return them?
>> > Also what do I use for marking compound in which to leave an imprint
>> > so I can port match the manifolds?
>> > Thanks for any help.

> I already thought of the old "Bait & Switch" gig, but I don't have any
> real proof of this head being less than the 044.
> Anyone know the real facts??

A real CB 044 looks like this:

http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-429F.JPG

Max
--
http:/www.MaxWelton.net/
Old October 24th 04, 07:48 PM
Volksrod70

After all, it was a phone order so I don't have proof of who said
what.
So I figure why complain if this is an equel cylinder head, and that's
the real question I have for all of you.

96 GC - leaking master cylinder gad Dodge 2 December 6th 04 07:20 PM
'97 Voyager - Brakes MamaB Dodge 20 December 6th 04 12:26 AM
1949 Cadillac: #1 Cylinder? Andreas Tovornik Antique cars 0 July 25th 03 02:47 PM