More Transmission Weirdness Need advise

Old September 14th 04, 02:14 AM
Gary Compton

Default More Transmission Weirdness Need advise

I recently changed the valve body on a 93 SL1 because of extremely hash
shifting, with check engine code, and sometimes a strange squeal when
shifting. I got a factory manual, and following all the steps, replaced the
VB with one from 6th Planet. Alas, when I test drove the car, the problem
was still there. The VB replacement had made no difference at all. I
parked the car and had decided to junk it, but about a week later decided to
take it for one last spin. This time the transmission performed perfectly
and has continued to do so! What's happening here? Did the PCM have to
reset itself to the new valve body or do I have some other, intermittent
problem that's probably going to return?

The tranny manual said to "reset the adaptives" after installing the valve
body. Does this mean to disconnect the battery? If so, I did this before
the first test drive when it malfunctioned, but not before the good test.

Gary

Old September 14th 04, 04:23 AM
Blah Blah

I have a few idea's. One you might of had air in the system and the
computer thought the transmission was trippy and ran up line pressure.
Another idea is the line pressure was already high do to the previous vb
problem and after enough run time/cycles it finally reset on the next
start up. I usually idle for 10min and manually go through all the gears
with the brake on before I "drive" off after trans work. Not sure you
done the same.

In article >,
says...

Old September 14th 04, 01:52 PM
jdoe

You have to go through a relearn procedure. The instructions were in my new
VB but it consists of disconnecting battery, than driving through various
shift and downshift cycles. Even if you don't do this it will eventually
"learn" it's new parameters.
Larry

Old September 14th 04, 10:57 PM
Gary Compton

Thanks Blah Blah and Joe. Your response gives me some confidence that the
problem is fixed.
Gary