teenage insurance

Old December 8th 04, 11:41 PM
Cory Dunkle

"E.R." > wrote in message
> In a previous posting, "Cory Dunkle" > had
> the audacity to say:
>
> :The reason I was working 60+ hours/week between my two jobs was due to a

bit
> f a personal situation, but that's all behind me now and I'm gettin'

back
> n the ball with school and moving on with my life.
>
> You shouldn't worry yourself too much, Cory, you're a little bit
> younger than me and have apparently come a long way; you still
> have a lot of time. After a period of long term illness I
> started to realize that so long as I'm alive and well, I too
> have a lot of time.

Thanks, good advice. I do still have a lot of life ahead of me, and I plan
to enjoy it with my wonderful girlfriend and take advantage of teh
opportunities I have as far as college and a career go. Life is a journey,
and I'm enjoying it again.

> To me, a college education is important, even if only as a means
> to an end. And I agree with your sentiments about living in
> university residences too. I've only ever had marginal to
> negative experiences in them, so to resume living in one would
> (probably) be a retrograde step for me.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who sees campus life in that light. When
I've talked to people who live on campus about it, they get offended and
seem to think I'm weird. It's like their attitude is 'Going to school and is
serious about getting an education? Doesn't do drugs and doesn't binge
drink?What's wrong with him?'. Of course there are the handful of
'brainiacs' who distance themselves from that, but it just seems like there
aren't many normal people on the college campuses I've visited or spent time
on. They are all party hardy and drink/your drug of choice 'till you pass
out, or very immature and going way too far with jokes and harassment and
childishness, or sex crazed morons saying/doing whatever it takes to get
laid by as many people as possible. I don't get it. I enjoy hanging out with
my buddies, going out and shooting some pool or having a beer or two or
whatever, but at the end of the day I don't pass out from drugs, I get done
work that I need to have done for either work or school, and most days I
make love to the _one_ woman I love. I just don't get the attitude of what
seems like most kids these days. I just go on about my life, help others
where I can, and be respectful towards others unless they give me a reason
not to be.

I don't know what the problem is, but I try to stay away from people like
that. It's one of the things I like about going to Camden County College,
many/most people there are a little tight on money and by going tehre they
really do care about their aducation and succeeding in a career. The
professors all seem to care about the students more than at a typical
private university or a larger school. It's just a great environment. Not to
mention a lot cheaper to get most of my more basic stuff out of the way
before moving on to get a Bachelors degree.

Cory

Old December 8th 04, 11:46 PM
Bill 2

"E.R." > wrote in message
> Not being familiar with the scene down there, and therefore just
> guessing, this *may* be true in the US. In Canada, you'll likely
> have no life unless you're *mobile* (i.e. driving - about three
> quarters of BC residents are licensed). Even if you do live in a
> university residence.

In NS this isn't necessarily true. All you need is to know someone with a
car <g>.

But really, the two main universities are downtown, so you can walk to the
bars in 15mins -1/2 hour. There is a third university a bit more out of the
way, but it is a quick bus ride downtown. All of them are a quick bus ride
to major shopping areas.

Myself, I don't have my own car, I occasionally use the family vehicle. I
may drive downtown with my family in the morning and bus back in the
afternoon. If I'm leaving later in the morning, I'll bus both ways. I
suppose it helps that I live on a route that takes me directly to school,
and the bus comes every 1/2 hour. The $110/year bus pass included with my
tuition also helps.

I know many people with similar arrangements. They live at home, take
transit to school, and have some use of the family car for evenings and
weekends.

I also know people that live either on campus, or in an apartment, and use
transit for their main transportation, and bum rides on weekends.

> But I'm speaking from having lived on
> campus for about five months at the University of British
> Columbia in Vancouver, and it seems that much of the rest of the
> country isn't exactly the same, and other universities may not
> be identical. Fwiw, the chance of me reënrolling at U.B.C. or
> remaining long term in Vancouver is marginal to nil, now, I'd
> say. $250 000 might change my mind...

Be sure to tell me if you move out east.

> :you eat your meals in the cafeteria in your dorm; you walk to
> :classes, frat parties, and bars. That's how it was when I was in
> :college, and that's how it is today. The college my son attends
> :doesn't even allow freshmen to have a car on campus - there is neither
> :need nor space.
>
> I think U.B.C. wanted to move in this direction, but too many
> students resisted/revolted. But that is very much a "commuter
> school", and there isn't really very much of an on campus
> "scene", imo. The campus institutions exist primarily for
> "utilitarian" purposes rather than "social" or "community" ones.
> "America run by the Swiss" at its finest!

Our two downtown institutions have somewhat of a social life, usually
because they are walking distance to the bars. The other school isn't that
big in the first place. I don't know much of the on campus life, living off
campus.

> :I would rather spend that $4500/year on tuition at a better school
> :than waste it on car insurance for kids who don't need to drive.
>
> Fair enough... though better schools aren't always more
> expensive, as I'm beginning to find out. :} At $16k/year for
> most undergraduate courses, U.B.C. is (I believe) the most
> expensive university in Canada. There are nicer and (slightly)
> cheaper ones out there that I have now discovered.

I've found it very economical, where possible, to live at home while going
to school. Cuts costs in half. The available institutions score alright, and
the degrees from them can be used to get a job.

Old December 8th 04, 11:46 PM
Bill 2

Old December 9th 04, 01:02 AM
E.R.

In a previous posting, "Bill 2" > had the audacity
to say:

.. .
:
:In NS this isn't necessarily true. All you need is to know someone with a
:car <g>.

If the whole world were like that, it would be more peaceful and
harmonious. :} (okay maybe not)

:But really, the two main universities are downtown, so you can walk to the
:bars in 15mins -1/2 hour.

Judging by a map, it seems that way. That's quite convenient,
and walking's fine with me (I'd get used to your winters!). Btw
I was looking at Dalhousie for possible enrollment; better go
get those forms to apply "blind"...

:I also know people that live either on campus, or in an apartment, and use
:transit for their main transportation, and bum rides on weekends.

At first glance, it may seem that transit in some of the
smaller, less $$$-driven cities I'm looking at (Halifax NS,
Prince George BC...) sucks, but when I was in Prince George
without a car a couple of months back I managed to get by with
the bus service, even though it was highly infrequent, usually
once per hour and no Sunday service. This is perhaps because in
spite of the infrequency, the system is remarkably *efficient*
at serving the compact city. Seven out of ten. Proportionally
speaking, things don't work nearly as well in Vancouver,
considering it's twenty-five (!!) times bigger than P.G. (which
in turn is just slightly smaller than Hfx, for relative
comparison).

That is not to say there wasn't a time when I wished I had the
car with me. The flight was "free", so I left the car behind for
that trip, but otherwise, there's little question I'd be driving
up. The scenery alone is worth the drive. But the fact that a
city 1/25 the population of Vancouver can have proportionally
better transit and general amenity provision pleasantly
surprised me. A lotta folks love Vancouver - and it takes merely
a picture-postcard image to begin to understand why they do -
but imo, 'neath the cover of the pretty-picture background
scenery, this is a city that is now by the rich, for the rich.
Toronto is certainly no better either.

:Be sure to tell me if you move out east.

Thanks. :} A visit there is almost certainly on the cards for
the spring, en route back from Europe. (Almost certainly no
driving plans for my home visit!)

:Our two downtown institutions have somewhat of a social life, usually
:because they are walking distance to the bars.

I hear you have a lot of traditional Scottish/Irish pubs. I'm
not much of a drinker (oops does that disqualify me from the
Maritimes? but I still like a good bar and a stiff drink.

:I don't know much of the on campus life, living off
:campus.

I think I'm done with the on-campus stuff, given that going back
to that would feel like a retrograde move. But I'm open to lots
of possibilities. Of course, you have the oldest law school in
the British "colonies", which is an interesting tidbit.

:I've found it very economical, where possible, to live at home while going
:to school.

Hmmm, the several hours to London GB and the 9 hour flight every
day might make that a tad impractical. ;}

:Cuts costs in half.

That doesn't bother me too much, since as an "alien" I have to
pay full fees, which will always be in the $10k-$16k range, so
other costs are relatively minimal.

--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada

Old December 9th 04, 02:12 AM
E.R.

In a previous posting, Scott en Aztlán
> had the audacity to say:

:>:The whole purpose of going to college is to study
:>
:>Wow, that's enlightening, Scott: I never knew that! I'm serious;
:>I knew that college was meant for a lotta stuff, but isn't that
:>"study" thing a mere formality somewhere down the list? ;}
:
:Is there a point to this sarcasm?

Well, I was being half sarcastic really. For me, study is
probably the second or third reason to be in school. Social life
and getting the bit of paper to open up one's future career
options are more crucial imo, and studying's just a necessary
evil to achieve that end. Of course, there are some courses I
actually enjoy doing, and so maybe the semi-sarcastic comment
was a little uncalled for, but I couldn't resist.

:>I think U.B.C. wanted to move in this direction, but too many
:>students resisted/revolted. But that is very much a "commuter
:>school", and there isn't really very much of an on campus
:>"scene", imo.
:
:The University of Illinois is the exact opposite. It was founded in
:the 1850s - before there were cars, in case a young'n such as yourself
:didn't know -

At least I'm not the only one who can't resist the sarcasm. :}

:and never evolved into a commuter school. Everything
:a good little student needs is within walking distance, including all
:the frat houses, sorority houses, and bars.

Walking distance is good. In that instance, driving might truly
become a non-necessity (or semi-necessity).

Old December 9th 04, 02:12 AM
E.R.

Old December 9th 04, 02:28 AM
E.R.

In a previous posting, Scott en Aztlán
> had the audacity to say:

:What teenager NEEDS to work?

I did. Okay, so that's a lie. But it sure beat living on
welfare. That being said, I'm spoiled, so I've never really
worked a regular job and gone to school *at the same time*. It's
always been one or the other (or sometimes neither: either
travelling or brief spells living off the state, something I was
never proud to be doing).

:When I was a
:teenager, I took the bus, or the "L," or I walked. EVERYWHERE.

So did I. I never even had a driver's licence, but then that's
the norm in Europe. It doesn't seem to be the norm here, even
for sixteen year olds. They all want (and usually have) cars.
Frequently *more than one*. Some of the rice kids easily run two
or three Toyunduhs, and spend upwards of 20 grand modding them
(legal) for the purpose of street racing (illegal). This "rice
racing" culture is particularly rampant here in the suburb of
RICHmond. Not a huge surprise given that commune's wealthy,
snobbish atmosphere (wossnew folks?), lack of "fun" activities
save the new casino and the gun club, and long, straight avenues
and boulevards. These kids race at 100+ mph on the city streets
and kill cops, innocent pedestrians, etc. etc. I think most
locals have just about lost count of the victims by now.

:It's amazing to me how many people simply cannot imagine life without
:a car - including, apparently, the OP, who thinks he needs to pay
:$4500 a year so his kids can drive. Perhaps that's because so much
:residential development nowadays takes the form of isolated, sprawling
:bedroom communities, so far removed from everything that you even have
:to drive the kids to the playground.

I can see you probably wouldn't like living here then, unless
you enjoy inner city living of course (I've put up with it for a
couple of years, but it's not really my thing).

I live in an inner city area and own two cars, though only one
is in active operation. The other's just a liability that
wouldn't sell.

:Me, I made sure my wife and I wouldn't be put into that situation. I
:made sure to purchase houses that were within walking distance of
:important things like schools, shopping, and public transit.

Public transit? I thought you said you lived in L.A. :}

:Most
arents don't make the effort, or opt for a slightly larger McMansion
:in a farther-away location (where land is cheaper and thus bigger
:houses are cheaper).

In this regard (the exception, not the rule), Canada is much
like the USA, even though there are some who get all
sanctimonious and claim that Canada doesn't suffer from the
McSprawl culture. (Of course they're right, what with this
country's Scottish heritage, it's the M*ac*Sprawl culture.

:The economic decision here is this: do you earn enough money from your
:job to cover the costs of your personal automobile? Or do you require
arental subsidies? If the latter is the case, wouldn't it make more
:sense to ditch the car and the job(s), and focus solely on your
:studies? Maybe move closer to school (or closer to a good transit line
:that goes there) so you don't have to do so much commuting?

I think there may be a matter of personal choice at work here
too: Cory loves his car(s), and there's nothing wrong with that.

When you go into rant mode, I think there'll be people who think
you're twice your true age, though I'm sure that doesn't bother
you one jot. :}

Old December 9th 04, 02:28 AM
E.R.

Old December 9th 04, 02:30 AM
E.R.

In a previous posting, Scott en Aztlán
> had the audacity to say:

:It must be nice to have parents who have so much disposable income
:that they will foot the bill for your car expenses as well as your
:tuition. I pay my son's room, board, and tuition, but having a car is
:a luxury and that's where I draw the line.
:
:I guess you're lucky you don't have a stingy old codger like me for a
:father.

From the evidence, I'd hazard a guess that I am/was quite a bit
more "spoiled" than Cory is, and yet you don't vent the hottest
of your flames toward me. :}