Nokia car kit for Audi A4

Old May 18th 04, 10:27 AM
Bear

Default Nokia car kit for Audi A4

I've just got a second hand CARK126 car kit as well as holder and external
antenna, but no install instructions. I'd like to try installing it myself
or should I take it to an installer - they want about $AUS200.....?

Anybody any tips on the wiring and where to place it?

Old May 18th 04, 11:00 PM
JPB357

It should be available from Nokia.

. au...

Old May 19th 04, 06:00 PM
Mike Buckley

Easy. At your own risk of course, follow these:

Red Cable (with 2amp fuse) to + voltage on veh's power supply. The battery
is a good source!
Black cable to the negative/ground connection. Battery again, or a handy
earth.

That'll get it operational with constant power to the cradle.
IF you want the goodies, like the cradle only being powered when the
ignition is on, radio muting or an auto car-phone antenna, do these as well:

Blue cable (with 1 amp fuse) to a +12v voltage source controlled by the
vehicle ignition key.
Yellow cable - used for automatic car radio muting (XCRM) and is connected
to car radio. No idea where on the radio tho!
Green cable (with 1amp fuse) - 12 v output whenever the phone is "on" - used
to trigger a relay for a motorised antenna for the phone, if you use one.
The instructions specifically say to use a relay.

As to placement - I fitted mine (into an old 80) by removing the passenger
dash pocket and attaching the control box to the heater duct. There should
be a bracket with the box that allows you to position the box somewhere with
a screw, but I just used cable-ties for speed.

Fit mic on the drivers A pillar (sticky velcro is good) and lead the cable
across the vehicle under the dash. Fiddly, but straightforward as long as
you are double jointed and don't mind grovelling under the dash. Protect the
cable as appropriate. Mic is also good on by the centre mirror, but more
hassle to lead the cable.

Cradle on the centre consol or dash as you prefer.

Of course, with a modern car you'll have an airbag in the left side which
might restrict access to the under dash area. But if you want to risk
fiddling with explosive devices which could kill you, that's your decision.
Is your life worth 200 bucks?? Your choice.

Finally - you'll need an antenna - the manual warns about all that microwave
energy bouncing around inside the car and suggests it could interfere with
vehicle electrical systems as well as your health. I used a dual band
self-adhesive antenna that mounts on the w/screen and took the cable down
behind the dash from there to the box. The phone will work without a vehicle
antenna. Again, your choice.

Anyway, best of luck, its relatively easy, notwithstanding the caveat
above - these instructions straight from a HF CARK-91 install guide and iirc
there might be similar on the web somewhere - Google will find it.

All the plugs / fittings etc are self-explanatory in that they will only fit
the relevant sockets on the box anyway.

Have fun but stay safe! Mike.

(I'm NOT an expert in these things, just a reasonably competent amateur
mechanic, so you follow this at your own risk!! Don't blame me if it all
goes wrong.)

Old May 20th 04, 03:07 AM
Bear

Thanks for the pointers......

Old May 20th 04, 07:43 AM
Bear

In the book it mentions fitting a phone into the 'flip up' armrest between
the front seats.
Does this mean there is some wiring in there and how would I get to it?