Autozone- illegal bait & switch advertising?

Old September 6th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Autozone- illegal bait & switch advertising?

I went to the Autozone website and found a power steering pressure hose for
a 1977 Ford F-250 with a 351 engine for $16.99. When I went to the store to
purchase it, they had a different brand in their computer for $19.99. Their
computer did not show the less expensive brand. They told me that it was
because the cheaper one is only available online. Does anyone know this to
be true? Has anyone had a similar experience? I assumed that whatever
Autozone advertised on their webpage was representative of what their retail
stores carried.

Old September 6th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Yes I have heard of this recently dealing with some other stores.

If you have the part number for the item, they normally can get it from
the back but it isn't out front for the 'public' or in that public
database.

Some places will also sell you the part if you bring in the printed
webpage for the specials.

It's intended to promote their online sales.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 7th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MT-2500[_23_]

j Wrote:
> I went to the Autozone website and found a power steering pressure hose
> for
> a 1977 Ford F-250 with a 351 engine for $16.99. When I went to the
> store to
> purchase it, they had a different brand in their computer for $19.99.
> Their
> computer did not show the less expensive brand. They told me that it
> was
> because the cheaper one is only available online. Does anyone know this
> be true? Has anyone had a similar experience? I assumed that whatever
> Autozone advertised on their webpage was representative of what their
> retail
> stores carried.

Good old auto zone.
Most will ask you if you want the cheap or cheaper one and cry there
eyeballs out if they do not have the cheaper one in stock.
But you usually get what you pay for.
I would perfer to get the better OEM type stuff.
The good stuff only hurts one time. The elcheapo cheaper stuff may bite
you in the rear many times.
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 7th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
« Paul »[_1_]

j wrote:

> I went to the Autozone website and found a power steering pressure hose for
> a 1977 Ford F-250 with a 351 engine for $16.99. When I went to the store to
> purchase it, they had a different brand in their computer for $19.99. Their
> computer did not show the less expensive brand. They told me that it was
> because the cheaper one is only available online. Does anyone know this to
> be true? Has anyone had a similar experience? I assumed that whatever
> Autozone advertised on their webpage was representative of what their retail
> stores carried.

It happens. Many companies besides AutoZone offer online "specials" that are
mailed out of their warehouse. Computer places are famous for that.
Old September 7th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:53:36 GMT, "j" > wrote:

>I went to the Autozone website and found a power steering pressure hose for
>a 1977 Ford F-250 with a 351 engine for $16.99. When I went to the store to
>purchase it, they had a different brand in their computer for $19.99. Their
>computer did not show the less expensive brand. They told me that it was
>because the cheaper one is only available online. Does anyone know this to
>be true? Has anyone had a similar experience? I assumed that whatever
>Autozone advertised on their webpage was representative of what their retail
>stores carried.

Why would you assume everything on the website is available in the
store? When you go to their web site you pick your local store then
pick your part. It plainly shows which items are available in the
store and which ones are available online.

It is relatively easy for any company to sell items via their website
that they do not stock and from vendors they don't normally order
from. You place the order and the your item is shipped by the outside
vendor to your door step and YOU pay the shipping on it so they can
sell that item at a better price than they could if their people had
to handle it and they had to pay to get it to the store.

Steve B.
Old September 7th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
greasemonkey19

i recently had this issue with advance auto parts i looked up a clutch
and flywheel set for my car and online it was posted at $260. when i
went to the store to pick it up i gave them the part number and it was
over $400 so i went home printed out the price and part number and
brought it over there and the manager sold it to me at $260

Old September 7th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"j" > wrote in message
m...
> I went to the Autozone website and found a power steering pressure hose

for
> a 1977 Ford F-250 with a 351 engine for $16.99. When I went to the store

> purchase it, they had a different brand in their computer for $19.99.

You should have ordered online if that is what you wanted.
Lots of things are internet only.

They have done nothing wrong.

Old September 7th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dewaynep[_1_]

Well, while not illegal, it is in my opinion, a very poor business
practice. I live in a small town about 30 miles outside of a major city
(not very major). The local auto parts competition is a NAPA, AutoZone
and a local independant parts store. I used to go to Autozone for all
of my parts figuring they were cheaper than NAPA and had a decent
warrantee even if there parts were inferior. That is, until I found out
Autozone has a "city" price and a "local store" price. The "city" price
being much lower, sometimes less than half the "local price". It seems
that they base their prices on the local competition, even though I can
go to any of my local NAPA stores and pay the exact same price at ALL of
them. I have found that you can ask for the city price (the lower
price), but they won't offer it freely, on any in-stock items. If they
have to order the part, they can't give you the lower price. A case in
point: I went in one Friday afternoon to get an A/C compressor for my
Buick. Their price $465.00 and it wouldn't be in until Tuesday. They
checked the "sister" stores (other local Autozones) and found one 20
minutes away that had the exact same compressor in stock for $325. I
figured I would check the local NAPA and if the compressor was more, I
would take the 20 minute ride to get it at Autozone for $325. Well,
much to my surprise NAPA had one (the SAME brand Autozone had) for $221
and would have it by 8:00am Saturday morning (the next day, less than 15
hours).
Personally, I think it is a scam. The overhead in my Autozone has to be
less than half that of the "city" store. Not to mention the shrinkage
(loss to do theft, etc..) is nil in my local store. Plus the help is
paid considerably less at my local store. From now on, I will buy my
consumable parts, i.e. brake pads, etc.. at Autozone because of the
warrantee, but will not buy anything else there until they change their
pricing practices in my local store. I don't see any reason why i should
pay a lot more for the exact same parts I can get in the "city" for less
than half the cost. Do this for some fun: go to Autozone's website and
punch in a few different zipcodes in your area, be sure to include some
in the "city" and some outside the "city". Then check the prices, every
store will be slightly different....

--
dewaynep
dewaynep's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=430720

Old September 7th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"dewaynep" > wrote in message

> Well, while not illegal, it is in my opinion, a very poor business
> practice.

I havent noticed this practice, but there are ways around it. If you find
it online for a price you
want, order it at that price for pickup in the store. Take your paperwork
with you when you go.
(I believe you can still do this at Autozone)

The NAPA compressor you mention is a rebuilt. They are probably pretty
good, but all have
failures from time to time.

I just ordered a brand new Seltec compressor from www.ackits.com for
something less than $200.
I am told that these are first class compressors. Some suggest they are
better than OEM, but I will
have to try it and see.

Also, I just ordered a blower motor which has been quoted at several sites
for $300, and I found
a replacement on the net for $75.

The point is, prices vary a lot and, the customer always has to be very
careful when buying.
Dont assume anything. Check several sources.

Old September 7th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

dewaynep > wrote in article

> Well, while not illegal, it is in my opinion, a very poor business
> practice. I live in a small town about 30 miles outside of a major city
> (not very major). The local auto parts competition is a NAPA, AutoZone
> and a local independant parts store. I used to go to Autozone for all
> of my parts figuring they were cheaper than NAPA and had a decent
> warrantee even if there parts were inferior.

Yeah....that "decent warrantee" means I'll get to see my customer once a
year to replace that cheapo alternator while I suck up the labor cost....

Of course, HE's not gonna' be too thrilled, and he just might start to
question my professionalism in using such crappy parts......

......but they DO have a "....decent warrantee...."......in SOME people's
minds.

> That is, until I found out
> Autozone has a "city" price and a "local store" price. The "city" price
> being much lower, sometimes less than half the "local price". It seems
> that they base their prices on the local competition, even though I can
> go to any of my local NAPA stores and pay the exact same price at ALL of
> them.

Now, you're talking like a man with a paper asshole.......

More than three-quarters of the NAPA stores are independently owned
franchises.

Unless they are all "company stores" - which I doubt - if they all offered
the exact same price, THAT would be price-fixing and subject them to some
pretty serious penalties.

> Personally, I think it is a scam. The overhead in my Autozone has to be
> less than half that of the "city" store. Not to mention the shrinkage
> (loss to do theft, etc..) is nil in my local store. Plus the help is
> paid considerably less at my local store.

With as much as you know about the business side of the auto parts game,
I'm surprised some smart store owner hasn't taken you out of circulation
and used your knowledge to make him number one in the market.....

......and how did you get the shrinkage numbers for each store?....

.....or are you simply being racist suggesting that there are more blacks in
the city than in the country, therefore there simply HAS to be more
pilferage....?

> From now on, I will buy my
> consumable parts, i.e. brake pads, etc.. at Autozone because of the
> warrantee, but will not buy anything else there until they change their
> pricing practices in my local store. I don't see any reason why i should
> pay a lot more for the exact same parts I can get in the "city" for less
> than half the cost.

Free country gives you freedom to buy when. where you choose.....isn't that
great?

next?

> Do this for some fun: go to Autozone's website and
> punch in a few different zipcodes in your area, be sure to include some
> in the "city" and some outside the "city". Then check the prices, every
> store will be slightly different....

First of all, any free time I have isn't going to be "invested" in some
sort of witch hunt.....

Secondly, I'm sure you will eventually aprise us all of your own personal
findings and opinions.

Given all your above display of knowledge about how the auto parts
business works, I would have thought you could have come up with an answer
as to why there are such pricing differences.......Yet you seem
baffled!?!?!?!?!?

Here's a hint.....Look into how the company is structured.

> dewaynep's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=430720
> View this thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=616301

> http://www.automotiveforums.com

Yet another know-it-all, half-fast, shade-tree, crossposter from the
automotiveforums website