Opinions on detroit in D 30

Old July 23rd 05, 04:17 PM
Greg

Default Opinions on detroit in D 30

Daughter's 95 YJ has 9" in rear with detroit, she now wants a detroit in
the front, I read verying opinions on the YJs Dana 30 and putting in a
detroit locker, I understand if I put one in my CJ and unlock the hubs, no
locker problems, but what about the YJ with it's vacum, some one said the YJ
always has one axle engaged or something like that, and I also read that
something changed with the 95 YJs D 30, passenger side solid axle?
So what's everyones opinion, I'd prefer to here from YJ owners with
detroits in front, or just opinions on Dana 30 with detroit, I don't want to
here about axle swaps, or Currie/Dynatrac options. Thanks.

Old July 23rd 05, 04:37 PM
Earle Horton

The driver's side axle on the YJ is always "engaged", but with the transfer
case in 2H there is no load on it. I don't know whether the axle can drive
the pinion in this situation, but even if it does it won't cause problems.
It will just cause the front drive shaft to turn. This isn't exactly what
you want for highway commuting, but if your daughter's YJ is mainly for
offroad (and why else would it have two lockers) then you should be fine.

That's my opinion, but you should probably talk to someone who has done
this, before trying it yourself.

Earle

Old July 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
Jeff Strickland

I have the detroit EZLocker in my D30 (in a CJ5) and I leave the hubs locked
all of the time. I can't remember the last time the hubs were unlocked
because anytime I unlock them, I turn around in less than 20 miles and lick
them again anyway. I decided that unlocking the hubs was highly over rated.

When your YJ is in 2WD, the front will never know that a locker is
installed.

Old July 23rd 05, 09:22 PM
Greg

Thanks, mine's acually a CJ so I will be unlocking anyway so not worried
about it, but I was worried about daughter's YJ and no hubs to unlock.

Old July 23rd 05, 10:54 PM
Jeff Strickland

It won't be a problem. My brother has a YJ with a locker in the front, and
he has no problems at all.

I'm certain that you have used your CJ on at least one occasion with the
front hubs locked and the tcase set to 2HI. I drive my CJ like this all of
the time, I mean A-L-L of the time. The only "problem" is that it tends to
be noisy at parking lot speeds when I pull into a parking spot. Depressing
the clutch and rolling into the spot makes everything quiet ...

Old July 24th 05, 12:50 AM
Greg

Ya I don't worry about unlocking hubs most times as mine is 99% for off
road it is just to the off road and back on weekends, I only unlock if I am
going to be driving around town.
A freind here has a lockright in the front of his YJ and has no problems
but I just thought I would ask anyway. At $409.00 for a D 30 detroit we
can't go wrong for what it will do, I remeber when I first got my rear
detroit it was like the difference between a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel
drive, maybe even more so. Anyway I wont worry about her, will order them
both on Monday.

Old July 25th 05, 04:39 PM
Earle Horton

"Steve" > wrote in message
news ....
> A Detroit is stronger than a 'lunchbox' locker that fits inside the
> existing carrier, but note that ring & pinion need to be set up ($$$)
> when replacing the carrier and a 'master rebuild' kit to replace
> bearings and shims is recommended. Lunchbox lockers can be swapped in or
> out in a matter of minutes in the driveway.

If this operation is performed correctly, and the axle was set up correctly
in the first place, the pinion depth and pinion bearing preload will not
change. For this reason, it is possible to change the carrier without
disturbing the pinion settings. In my experience, once you get the carrier
bearing preload and gear lash set, you are good to go. Of course, a prudent
mechanic would check the gear contact pattern before driving off.

You do need shims, and you might want new carrier bearings, unless you have
the bearing puller to get the old ones off the old carrier, but the master
rebuild kit is not necessary.

Earle

Old July 25th 05, 08:46 PM
J Strickland

I'm not sure why you would want a Full Detroit in the front axle, the front
does not carry the same loads as the rear, and the Detroit EZ Locker or the
PowerTrax Lockright should do the duty fine. The affect on the front axle is
the same in terms of the questions you asked earlier, but the cost is less
and the reliability is on par.

Old July 26th 05, 12:32 AM
Greg

From everything I read online the 95 YJ is the change year and has a one
piece axle and 297 Ujoints, her ujoints are deffinately bigger then in my 81
CJ7. As for set up and install kit, all gears are new and there is a guy up
the road that according to all in town is the gear install king, he charged
her $50.00 to put the detroit in the rear, of coarse that was her taking the
3rd member over to him, but I think he does them for about $100.00
Canadian.. We get one 6" snowfall a year so that isn't a consideration, as
for lockright she went through 3 of those in the rear end and finally went
to detroit. I've talked to her about a cable dissconnect on the front to get
rid of vacum.

news

YJ, dana 30+detroit opinions Greg 4x4 0 July 23rd 05 04:19 PM
Opinions Wanted: 66 Exhaust Setup Scott Ford Mustang 2 March 11th 05 12:36 AM
Opinions on the 2002 L100. Rob Saturn 2 December 27th 04 04:53 AM
Way Off Topic: Brawl In Detroit Patrick Ford Mustang 27 December 5th 04 03:22 AM
Detroit rear, or lockright F&B Greg 4x4 4 July 3rd 04 07:16 PM