Saitek's triple MFD lcd

Old July 27th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

Default Saitek's triple MFD lcd

http://gear.ign.com/articles/807/807903p1.html

This looks absolutely cool and i hope it's customizable. Imagine using those
screens for rear view mirrors, RPM and cockpit gages.

Old July 27th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

On Jul 26, 9:15 pm, "Bob Loblaw" > wrote:
> http://gear.ign.com/articles/807/807903p1.html
>
> This looks absolutely cool and i hope it's customizable. Imagine using those
> screens for rear view mirrors, RPM and cockpit gages.

Very cool!

Pat Dotson

Old July 30th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message
> http://gear.ign.com/articles/807/807903p1.html
>
> This looks absolutely cool and i hope it's customizable. Imagine using
> those screens for rear view mirrors, RPM and cockpit gages.

FFS, just get a real race car!

Old July 30th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
M Knorr

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
> "Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message
>> http://gear.ign.com/articles/807/807903p1.html
>>
>> This looks absolutely cool and i hope it's customizable. Imagine using
>> those screens for rear view mirrors, RPM and cockpit gages.
>>

> FFS, just get a real race car!

I personaly love Pat's idea. :-)

If you don't like racing sims and getting them as real as possible, what the
hell are you doing here?

Old August 1st 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"M Knorr" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
>> "Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message
>>> http://gear.ign.com/articles/807/807903p1.html
>>>
>>> This looks absolutely cool and i hope it's customizable. Imagine using
>>> those screens for rear view mirrors, RPM and cockpit gages.
>>>

>> FFS, just get a real race car!
>>

> I personaly love Pat's idea. :-)
>
> If you don't like racing sims and getting them as real as possible, what
> the hell are you doing here?

Look, you must surely acknowledge that there's a point where puting too
much money/effort into simming becomes ridiculous and one should just go and
do the real thing. The simmed gauges on the monitor will do me just fine.

Old August 1st 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
M Knorr

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "M Knorr" > wrote in message

>>> FFS, just get a real race car!
>>>

>> I personaly love Pat's idea. :-)
>>
>> If you don't like racing sims and getting them as real as possible, what
>> the hell are you doing here?
>>

> Look, you must surely acknowledge that there's a point where puting too
> much money/effort into simming becomes ridiculous and one should just go
> and do the real thing. The simmed gauges on the monitor will do me just
> fine.

Who is to say what is too much money? Adding gauges, monitors for rear
vision mirrors, motion platforms all makes the simming that much more
reallistic. Whilst I have never looked at a real race car, I doubt that it
would be cheaper than all the add ons for a sim. Besides, you will always
walk away from a crash in a sim. Something that sadly cannot be said for
real racing.

I have MS FSX and would never spend the money others have on re creating a
full 747 cockpit. But I would never judge those that do. In fact I am in awe
of what they achive.

Not only were you judgmental, you were also obusive to Pat. I find
everyone's opinion worthwhile. You could have just said " I would never
spend that much for a sim"

Anyway, that is my opinion :-P

Manfred

Old August 1st 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

> ...Not only were you judgmental, you were also obusive to Pat. I find
> everyone's opinion worthwhile. You could have just said " I would never
> spend that much for a sim"

Actually, I don't think Byron was responding to me. Though,
apparently, he would find my sim hardware to be overkill

I can speak from personal experience here. I raced karts for five
years up until last year. Spring came last year and I just couldn't
get the motivation to prepare the kart. Then summer came and I still
just couldn't work up the drive. To do it right requires hours upon
hours of maintenace every week. Then you have an hour or two in
driving to the track... Then you sit around at the track all day and
get maybe get 15 or 20 minutes of track time total.

Forget the money! Real life racing just takes too much time. A $2000
sim rig is a bargain compared to a $2000 kart in terms of track time
and sheer enjoyment. Plus you don't have to buy tires, fuel, spare
parts, entry fees, etc. - all the other costs that go along with
running a racing program.

All that said, I still have all the karting equipment, and the itch to
go racing is growing again. It's a hard habit to break!

I'm not sure what the point of all this is, except to say that sim
racing gives a lot of bang for the buck compared to real life racing.
Real racing can't compete with the convenience of sim-racing.
Honestly, I have more fun with racing sims than real racing.

Real racing is full of frustration and boredom. It's like golf,
though, the moments of joy will keep you coming back. The pinnacles
of joy for me in karting were a couple of big races I won while coming
from the tail. I wouldn't trade those wins for anything. On balance,
though, the time, effort, and expense needed to achieve those two
experiences was outrageous.

Pat Dotson

Old August 1st 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

On Jul 31, 8:12 pm, "Byron Forbes" > wrote:
> Look, you must surely acknowledge that there's a point where puting too
> much money/effort into simming becomes ridiculous and one should just go and
> do the real thing. The simmed gauges on the monitor will do me just fine.

I don't agree. Sim-racing is infinitely more convenient and cost
effective than real racing. I just don't have time to go real racing
anymore. Sim-racing in a really good rig can provide an intensely
immersive experience. Online racing adds additional intensity.
Overall, I find sim-racing to be more enjoyable than real racing.
Money doesn't even have to figure into the equation for sim-racing to
be a viable alternative to real racing for some individuals.

Pat Dotson

Old August 1st 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

> Look, you must surely acknowledge that there's a point where puting too
> much money/effort into simming becomes ridiculous and one should just go
> and do the real thing. The simmed gauges on the monitor will do me just
> fine.

If you had any idea how much time and money real racing requires, you
wouldn't say that. The price of three sets of Hoosiers really doesn't
compare with a 99$ MFD.

Old August 1st 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

> Actually, I don't think Byron was responding to me. Though,
> apparently, he would find my sim hardware to be overkill
>
> I can speak from personal experience here. I raced karts for five
> years up until last year. Spring came last year and I just couldn't
> get the motivation to prepare the kart. Then summer came and I still
> just couldn't work up the drive. To do it right requires hours upon
> hours of maintenace every week. Then you have an hour or two in
> driving to the track... Then you sit around at the track all day and
> get maybe get 15 or 20 minutes of track time total.
>
> Forget the money! Real life racing just takes too much time. A $2000
> sim rig is a bargain compared to a $2000 kart in terms of track time
> and sheer enjoyment. Plus you don't have to buy tires, fuel, spare
> parts, entry fees, etc. - all the other costs that go along with
> running a racing program.
>
> All that said, I still have all the karting equipment, and the itch to
> go racing is growing again. It's a hard habit to break!
>
> I'm not sure what the point of all this is, except to say that sim
> racing gives a lot of bang for the buck compared to real life racing.
> Real racing can't compete with the convenience of sim-racing.
> Honestly, I have more fun with racing sims than real racing.
>
> Real racing is full of frustration and boredom. It's like golf,
> though, the moments of joy will keep you coming back. The pinnacles
> of joy for me in karting were a couple of big races I won while coming
> from the tail. I wouldn't trade those wins for anything. On balance,
> though, the time, effort, and expense needed to achieve those two
> experiences was outrageous.
>
> Pat Dotson

The worst thing is that kart racing is a lot cheaper than auto racing. You
need a truck, a trailer, a race car, a lot of tires and a few good friends
that will crew for you in exchange for food, beer and lodging. Since it's
very rare to live close to a racetrack, travel is both expensive and time
consuming. 25000$ a year is considered low budget for road racing and will
ensure that you will be mid pack at best.

Once you're married and have kids, going away for 2-3 days to go racing is
usually grounds for divorce.