Mx5 Miata and Stock Horn!

Old May 8th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Mx5 Miata and Stock Horn!

Anyone have experience with different horns then those delivered with
the car? Not sure they are easily heard if there is a problem. Thanks!

Old May 8th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-05-08, mowgli > wrote:

> Anyone have experience with different horns then those delivered with
> the car?

I tried a couple brands of air-horns, but they both had
problems when cold and failed completely within a year or two.

The "wicked loud" horns from Serious Auto are nice:

http://www.seriousauto.com/electrical/horns/horns.html

They're just standard dual-tone car horns, but they come with a
relay, a couple brackets, wiring, and mounting instructions.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Now, I think it would
at be GOOD to buy FIVE or SIX
Old May 9th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I picked up a dual tone horn at Harbor Freight and just
replaced the stock one. It is louder than stock but not as
loud as the air horns I had in my previous Miata. You know,
the ones that lasted less than 2 years! I'm pleased with
what I have now. You might want to experiment - it will
cost you less than $10.

Randy

oups.com...

Old May 11th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

mowgli wrote:
> Anyone have experience with different horns then those delivered with
> the car? Not sure they are easily heard if there is a problem. Thanks!

I replaced mine with the "Crazy Red Italian" about 5-6 years ago. Still
works.

They don't make them (I think). I think they just take all the
appropriate parts and put them in one bag.

Just my $0.02.

Marc
Old May 11th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Marc > wrote:

> I replaced mine with the "Crazy Red Italian" about 5-6 years ago. Still
> works.

My CRI horns work fine after 9 years. I think the key to airhorn
longevity is to "test" them once in awhile. Sort of an Italian tuneup
for the compressor.

The OEM meep-meep horn must go...unless you really want to send the
message, "Please don't hurt me."

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old May 11th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-05-11, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> Marc > wrote:
>
>> I replaced mine with the "Crazy Red Italian" about 5-6 years ago. Still
>> works.

> My CRI horns work fine after 9 years.

Mine lasted a little less than 2 years. During that last
winter it didn't work when it was cold. I replaced the CRI
horns with a different brand which lasted a little over a year.
I replaced the second set of air horns with "wicked loud"
horns: they're still going strong 6 years later.

> I think the key to airhorn longevity is to "test" them once in
> awhile. Sort of an Italian tuneup for the compressor.

Maybe I just didn't use the air horns enough.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you still
at SEXUALLY ACTIVE? Did you